October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Polish Ameritrash?

More
07 Feb 2008 15:34 - 07 Feb 2008 15:35 #2192 by Harkonnen13
So I bought Portal Games' Neuroshima Hex at the beginning of this year. It's the second edition, the first edition wasn't widely available and cost an arm and a leg on the secondary market. $60 was overpriced for 2nd edition, new, available now (because funagain.com is price gouging, I paid the same price to a guy in Atlanta so Funagain wouldn't get my money) but it looked too cool to pass up.

Awesome, incredible game. Post-apoc combat with freaks-from-Hell armies of mutants, facist militaristic humans, and wasteland barbarians. Each unit has it's own "stat line", in this case icons on their tile, a lot of different troop types. Combat and movement depend on drawing the appropriate tile, a little like a chit-activation wargame mechanic. Still a little "abstract" though. Fast futuristic combat, plays with experienced players in a half hour. With plastic figures instead of tiles and little character cards this could have easily been something you would expect from FFG.

Oh yeah, it's a Polish game. Maybe Poland is joining Italy as a country that produces good conflict-driven boardgames that have some theme come through. It's the only Polish game I've played though, can't be too sure. Tell you what, it's worth trying. The $60 price tag is worth it to me since it's so much fun. Anyone else enjoying this game as much as I am?
Last edit: 07 Feb 2008 15:35 by Harkonnen13.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2008 15:48 #2193 by Michael Barnes
It's a fun game- but it is actually pretty abstract, and it comes perilously close to that ROBORALLY style that I can't stand. I love how quick and brutal it is, I like the setting a lot, and it's easy to play. Overall, I don't think it's worth $60 at all though...the new edition looks a little better but it appears that the improvements are cosmetic.

I've heard it through the grapevine that they're looking at adding terrain tiles and possible a 5-6 player expansion.

The Poles also put out a pretty neat little card game called ZOMBIAKI...it has some of the same design ideas as NH, but it's a zombie siege thing. It won't set your world on fire or anything, but it has a strong theme and is a fun 15 minute time waster.

More
07 Feb 2008 16:20 #2198 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Polish Ameritrash?
$60 is quite a lot indeed, it was cheaper at Essen. And they included a fifth army! It isn't too hard to expand the game to 5 or 6 players by using the extra circle of hexes already on the board.

The game is fun, fast and easy to learn, because the basic rules are simple and you can just find out what the tiles do as you draw them.

Only (but major) drawback is the endgame. As everybody takes on the leader in the game, point loss mostly results in losing one or two places in the score order. So it is actually better to start as second in the last round. It also gives the losing players too much room for kingmaking.

I met a guy last year in Cracow from a Warsaw game company, who are trying to put out a Hannibal multiplayer game.

Btw I found a few hex and counter games (Grunwald/Tannenberg 1410, WOII East Front and others) from Polish publishers Taktyka i Strategia on the shelves of a book store in Cracow. If I remember correctly they retailed at $24. I think there were no English rules with them. Apparently these are boxed versions of games that appeared in the magazine.

Have a look at
www.boardgamegeek.com/publisher/6912
taktykaistrategia.pl/?lang=english

Production values were not very high, but that is maybe too much to expect. The same goes for Polish miniature design and quality. But their advantage is that they have a lot of energy and ideas and a lot of scenario's, battles and themes that are relatively unknown in western Europe and the U.S. I wouldn't be surprised if the Polish (and Czech) gaming scenes develop positively in the next couple of years.

More
07 Feb 2008 17:32 #2212 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Polish Ameritrash?
I have only played NH 2 player, and really enjoyed it.
Worth picking up I think.

More
08 Feb 2008 02:21 #2241 by Harkonnen13
Replied by Harkonnen13 on topic Re:Polish Ameritrash?
Jur thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Skeletor, I don't know your gaming likes but if you're into combat you'll like it.

More
08 Feb 2008 11:58 #2264 by SenorOcho
Replied by SenorOcho on topic Re:Polish Ameritrash?
I had a lot of fun 2 player but it fell really flat with 3 - you're probably better off doing the "count damage to other HQs instead of toughness" variant in that case.

More
08 Feb 2008 12:16 #2265 by jur
I think the latter variant might be the best anyway. It rewards aggressive play, but you still can't win if you leave your base too open for attack.

We'll give that a try sometime.

More
08 Feb 2008 15:43 #2288 by Harkonnen13
SenorOcho wrote:

I had a lot of fun 2 player but it fell really flat with 3 - you're probably better off doing the "count damage to other HQs instead of toughness" variant in that case.

Can you explain the variant a little more?

More
12 Feb 2008 07:07 #2484 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Polish Ameritrash?
Wait, is this second edition in English?

I fail at all foriegn languages.

More
12 Feb 2008 08:52 #2489 by SenorOcho
Replied by SenorOcho on topic Re:Polish Ameritrash?
Harkonnen13 wrote:

Can you explain the variant a little more?

Instead of putting everyone's counters at 20, you put them at 0 and increment whenever you damage an enemy HQ. You said you have the second edition, its right there in the rulebook.

More
12 Feb 2008 14:00 #2535 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Polish Ameritrash?
I'm definitely interested in Neuroshima Hex, but at $60, I will be holding off for now.

More
14 Feb 2008 18:24 #2789 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:Polish Ameritrash?
You could get the first edition perhaps, mine cost about £16 including shipping.
I'll second Michael's recommendation of Zombiaki (which is also reprinted).

More
18 Feb 2008 22:42 #2941 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Polish Ameritrash?
Z-Man Games has just announced they are going to publish Neurshima Hex this summer. Perhaps it will result in a lower price?

More
19 Feb 2008 01:38 #2953 by jur
Wait, they're just going to publish this without 750 people promising to buy it?

More
19 Feb 2008 02:18 #2955 by Harkonnen13
metalface13 wrote:

Z-Man Games has just announced they are going to publish Neurshima Hex this summer. Perhaps it will result in a lower price?

I don't see why Z Man would sell it for $60. Honestlly, the components are what you'd get in a $30 (at online store prices) game. I hope the component quality goes up. The 2 Z Man games I own (1960 and Pandemic) have pretty good production values, the 2nd edition NHex have doesn't. Tiles really worn quickly, board doesn't lie flat and has white creases on all folds, paper is seprating from it a little. Really fun game, might end up as one of my all-time favorites but I got jacked on the price. No one held a gun to my head to buy it though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds