October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

MedioEvo Universalis

More
18 Oct 2015 01:45 #212681 by Veldriss
Replied by Veldriss on topic MedioEvo Universalis
Final corrections before publication by the Giochix...

I know that there are many errors in the names of the territories, it's something that I never corrected by 1999.
My territories do not correspond to the duchies, so it is not so easy ... the best solution would be to choose the Province/Region more important or more famous historically and use that name for the "macro-region "that I used to split the territories of my map.
If someone had the desire and time to verify the information here below, I would be very grateful.

Let's start with Spain, as usual...
I have some doubts:
- Aragon or Zaragoza? Probably better Aragon.
- Douro, Portucale and Coimbra? On BGG they had recommended Duoro, but also Portucale (which would be the first County that gave birth to the Kingdom of Portugal) should be fine.

I continue with France... probably will be made changes:
- "Fiandra" will become Flanders (sorry for this mistake).
- Orlean is perhaps a little too west, it is better to change its name and perhaps use the Maine.
- The Guyenne is better if I rename Aquitaine.
- The Lorena should become Lotaringia?
The rest should go pretty well:

With England I have some doubts...Probably should be made some changes, but I'm not sure:
- For Scotland, if I keep using Highlands and Lowlands, perhaps it would be better to use Uplands instead of Galloway.
- For England it is better to use Durham instead of Cumbria?
- Better Cornwall instead of Sussex?
- Better Yorkshire or York?
- In Ireland, better Desmond instead of Munster?

With Italy can not do much, at that time it was divided into small kingdoms / Lordships / republics / Communes ... impossible to represent all and difficult to give a name to each of my territories ...
I think the best solution is to leave everything as it is, using the names of regions enough important at the time ... I'm not sure that there was already the concept of "TRIVENETO", at best, we could correct for "VENETO".

Holy Roman Empire I have only one doubt...Lotharingia is probably a little too far south, but I would not know what name to give that territory ... PALATINATE or BADEN?

Help me please.

More info here: www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9877

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2015 15:01 #216577 by Veldriss
61 Kingdoms, should be quite faithful to reality even if, for example, the heraldry of the Russian principalities at that time was not well defined ... the same for a couple of Islamic kingdoms of north west Africa.

(CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE)
File Attachment:

Now the countdown to end shields heraldry started, I finished the 10 shields Kingdoms playing, miss the other 50 (more or less):

More info da here: www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewt...063&start=130#p16172

Remember the coins in metal?

Here is one of the molds:

More foto here: www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewt...t=141&p=16304#p16414

New turn almost defined, should speed up slightly the previous system:

More info here: www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewt...2105&start=20#p16269

Fix the combat system: www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewt...=906&start=60#p16271

Chronicle of beautiful games of 7 hours:
08/11/2015 www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=9952
22/11/2015 a Cremona www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=9958

By popular demand of the players of Cremona, new topic: The 10 "bullshit" (and maybe more) to do not at MU www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=9961

Always players of Cremona have created a group WhatsApp, who wanted to join as well send me his cell number. to the mail linked here: www.medioevouniversalis.org/html/contattaci.php

More
06 Dec 2015 09:39 #216721 by Veldriss
Back to the final correction of the map ... it's up to North Africa ...
Here are pretty ignorant, so really I need your help to give the name correctly as possible to the various territories ... THANK YOU from now who will help me :)

DATE: 1265

North Western Africa, older version:

Version of the PC game Crusader Kings II:

Changes I would make:
WESTERN SAHARA become ANTI ATLAS
MAURITANIA (which is much more shifted than my map) become MARRAKECH (although I do not like to give the same name of the city, such as the region of Tangier)
I wanted to change also WESTERN ATLAS and EASTERN ATLAS, but I found nothing of value.

North Central Africa, the old version:

Changes that I could do:
KAIROUAN I would like to change it, but I do not know if it becomes MEDJERDA, CONSTANTINE or BISKRA ... I would be more inclined to MEDJERDA.
DJERBA, TRIPOLITANIA and LEPTIS MAGNA are all in TRIPOLITANIA, but I would not know which names to give... or leave them so, or thought I rename them WESTERN TRIPOLITANIA, MIDDLE TRIPOLITANIA and EASTERN TRIPLOLITANIA...

North East Africa, old version:

I do not know, maybe it is good all so ... I'm not sure that the term Jordan was already in use, but it seems already used in Roman times ... better change it?

More
06 Dec 2015 12:19 #216737 by Veldriss
The Middle East is divided into many areas, so I had to regroup and decide how to name ...

Middle East, the old version:

Changes I would make:
the PHRYGIA become LIDIA
GALATIA become PHRYGIA or ERACLEA (or NICEA?)
AZERBAIJAN would return MESOPOTAMIA as I had done long ago.
I do not really like DESERT SYRIAC, but SYRIA've already used for the Principality of Antioch.

More
06 Dec 2015 16:59 #216752 by Veldriss
For Greece there should be no problem, for the Balkans I have 2 questions ...

BALKANS AND GREECE, old version:

doubts:
SLOVAKIA is perhaps the right ... otherwise what was his name?
PEST is definitely wrong, at most it should be on the left bank of the Danube and not on the right bank where there is Buda... so how could I call this territory?

More
07 Dec 2015 08:15 #216775 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic MedioEvo Universalis
Yorkshire not York
Cumbria not Durham

In these cases the area is called Yorkshire, the city is called York. The area is Cumbria, the city is Durham.

Cornwall is the western part (only) of what you have labelled as Sussex.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Veldriss

More
07 Dec 2015 08:46 #216776 by Veldriss

ThirstyMan wrote: Yorkshire not York
Cumbria not Durham

In these cases the area is called Yorkshire, the city is called York. The area is Cumbria, the city is Durham.

Cornwall is the western part (only) of what you have labelled as Sussex.

THX ThirstyMan :)

I continue... Here I would like to make some changes ...

CENTRAL EUROPE, old version:

Doubts:
Better PODLESIA or Podlachia?
Instead of CARINTHIA probably it should STIRIA that best represents the area south of the Danube.
I would change BIG POLAND and SMALL POLAND, but I would not be what to put ...

More
07 Dec 2015 11:33 - 07 Dec 2015 12:49 #216786 by Veldriss
Here I have no idea ... there are several mistakes and several things to correct ...

EASTERN EUROPE, old version:

Other maps downloaded that might help:

Apart from the huge mistake of having reversed the position of some Russian principalities (Tver instead of Smolensk, Smolensk instead of Chernigov, Chernigov instead of Kiev) ... a Russian lady made me doubt during one of the last convention I attended, the Italian husband wanted to let go, but she insisted and indeed she was right :)
I do not really like the idea of giving the Russian principalities of the same name to the territory.
PODLACHIA (or PODLESIA) would have already used in the previous map of CENTRAL EUROPE with the Principality of Galicia and Volyn ... then maybe I should leave here PODLACHIA (or PODLESIA) and in CENTRAL EUROPE use Volyn?
SARPA better use instead of CHUVASHIA?
CAZARIA can go?
BOGUTJAR ??? It would be better a more catchy name or known ...
Last edit: 07 Dec 2015 12:49 by Veldriss.

More
07 Dec 2015 14:01 #216811 by Veldriss
Second last piece of the map ... I'm almost done ...

SCANDINAVIA, old version:

Doubts:
I think do not have any, but then on BGG I have received a PM:

I've been looking at your impressive game, but as a native Norwegian with an interest in history, I would like to point out that three of the names you've selected for the Norwegian regions are strange and atypical.

A better representation would have been to use 'Bergenhus' for the region represented as 'Oppland', 'Nidaros' for 'Lapponia', and 'Telemark' or 'Akershus' for 'Hedmark'.

Oppland and Hedmark are modern names for rural counties of no historical, or political importance, and the real location of Oppland lies within the borders of your 'Hedmark' region. To a Norwegian and Scandinavian audience, the use of 'Hedmark' and 'Oppland' are just bizarre. It's comparable to placing Rome in Campobasso.

Lapponia is a historical province of Sweden (and Finland) and lies outside the boundaries of Norway. A more interesting name would be Nidaros, considering that Nidaros was an important archbishopric in Nothern Europe, prior to the reformation.

The proper modern contemporary names for the three divisions you've used would be 'Østlandet', 'Vestlandet' and "Midt-Norge', which just means 'East country', 'West country' and 'Middle Norway', but 'Bergenhus', 'Akershus' and 'Nidaros' would be better terms as these were the important administrative divisions in use by the late 15th century.

Bergenhus actually encompassed the entire Northern Norway north of Trøndelag/Nidaros, as well as the territories surrounding Bergen.In terms of surface area, Bergenhus was probably the largest "county" in Europe at the time (outside of Russia).

More
07 Dec 2015 15:44 #216831 by Veldriss
The last piece of the map, even here I need help :)

NORTHERN EUROPE, old version:

Doubts:
LADOGA instead of NOVGOROD?
Where there are question marks red ... they are definitely wrong.

More
08 Dec 2015 17:53 #216965 by Veldriss
And while I'm waiting for some more help on the names of territories in order to send to print the texts, I carried on with trees and cities ...

Intermediate phase of installation of a base under the palm trees so that I can paste magnets like the other trees:

Here is one of the two containers to transport the trees:

More info and photos here: www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewt...=2063&p=16428#p16427

Miniature city of 1st, 2nd and 3rd level ready to glue the magnets ... in theory I do not need so many, it would be enough half (all the 1st level, few of the 2nd and very few of 3rd), but perhaps in the future we need for very long game:

Almost finished gluing the magnets under the miniatures of the city ...

More info and photos here: www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewt...=2063&p=16428#p16428

More
14 Dec 2015 16:02 #217305 by Veldriss
NEW ENGLISH SECTION on the forum: www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=48 I created this section of the forum to allow foreigners to read how the prototype originated and evolved and what are the game mechanics and components... If you have questions, write me on this section of the forum, You are Welcome! :)

I do not know if I'll have time to do it every day, but I will try to do that too ... I will keep here the updated image (as possible) with the work in progress that I'm making on the final map, the research on heraldry, the names of territories, etc etc ...

(CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE):
File Attachment:

More info here: www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9977

More
24 Jan 2016 15:39 #220732 by Veldriss
I printed on ordinary paper all the texts to be applied on the 3D map www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewt...=2063&p=16622#p16618 ...

Then I created a scheme to place all the trees, pines and palms www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewt...=2063&p=16622#p16621 ...

I cut all the texts and placed the whole (including trees, cities and heraldic shields) on the 3D map www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewt...=2063&p=16622#p16622 ...

The order of the texts printed on transparent adhesive film already, but I could not wait, could not resist a preview with some miniatures placed on the map to better imagine the final effect ... more photos here: www.medioevouniversalis.org/phpBB3/viewt...=2063&p=16622#p16623

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
25 Jan 2016 15:17 #220774 by Veldriss
NEWS!!!

Hello, I'm Nicola Iannone, author of the boardgame MedioEvo Universalis.
It was released on showcase of giochistarter.it a preview where you can already now click on the "Are you attending?" ... In this way you will give an approximate idea to the publisher of the participants to the future crowdfunding campaign that could start in autumn 2016.

Just click here www.giochistarter.it/offerteeA.php?lingua=1&crowd=1 and click on the "Are you attending?" on the right of MedioEvo Universalis, if you have not registered on the giochistarter.it can do so here : www.giochistarter.it/user.php?new=1&lingua=1&crowd=1

If you will be more and more the publisher will have an idea of how to size the box and components.

If you have questions, do not hesitate, THANK YOU ... and spread the word!

More
07 Feb 2016 10:26 #221901 by Veldriss
Finally texts to stick on the map arrived, so now I have no more excuses, I have to begin final assembly ...

I started from the place that was the hardest thing to glue because the material used, after baking, was boarded on the edges a lot ... at first I thought enough to put a number of shims at the edges and then on a level place with a nice weight , but it was virtually impossible and I was forced to paste it point by point by pressing with my fingers.
I risked ruin everything because at a certain point a little more glue remained on the fingers, and I was pulling the color from the logo ... PANIC! Fortunately with the bordeaux enamel and a gold marker I fixed where I had caused the damage.
The rest is all right.

I also pasted the back of the Treasure deck, the locations of cities, magnets for the trees and texts:

Also here everything is right:

The gray text instead does not go well, especially on dark backgrounds, so in Scotland they see little ... and even the names of the cities, if put on the sea, they see little ... but that is the color and that remains:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds