October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Hasbro/AH Reprints for 2008

More
12 Feb 2008 07:21 #2485 by Lagduf
So we're getting new editions of Diplomacy, RISK, and recently it was announced that there would be a new version of Acquire.

I'm probably going to buy all three games.

I know there is a thread here about Risk: Black Ops...but if this new version of Risk is just Black Ops minus the badass color scheme then i'll be all over it.

I've wanted Acquire and Diplomacy for some time, but didn't exactly relish the thought of having to try to find a copy from the 70s that was in decent condition (no way I was paying for the '90s reprints).

Anyone else excited about this stuff?

Diplomacy and Risk are surely Ameritrash...and well Acquire is Acquire, it's Sid Sackson who rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2008 07:37 #2487 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Hasbro/AH Reprints for 2008
Both these games are so old and basic that they defy the labels because they were there before labels existed. They provide ideas for later games, both AT and Euro.

Is Diplomacy AT? I doubt it. Its rules are too basic and the game has too few parts. It's the ultimate negotiation game, though. And it's definitely been an inspiration for many negotiation games (including AT) after.

Risk is AT avant la lettre. When people think of AT, it's Risk and Fortress America.

More
12 Feb 2008 09:19 #2493 by Michael Barnes
ACQUIRE may not be AT, but it's one of the greatest games ever published regardless. I'm looking forward to seeing the new edition, I have the completely awesome plastic edition from a few years ago but if the new looks good, I'll definitely get it.

It's great to see DIPLOMACY back in print as well.

The new RISK...watch Gameshark for a special feature in the near future.

More
12 Feb 2008 09:26 #2496 by mikoyan
I wonder if they are ever going to do a reprint of Fortress America? I missed out when it was first out.

More
12 Feb 2008 09:51 #2503 by southernman
mikoyan wrote:

I wonder if they are ever going to do a reprint of Fortress America? I missed out when it was first out.

[/i]
You can still pick up good condition copies on eBay - I got mine last year for under $40, it is in mint condition and was only missing a few pieces which I picked up in trade on BGG.

More
12 Feb 2008 10:11 #2505 by Chapel
HAHA... You guys are going to love it. Not a spec of plastic in any of them.

More
12 Feb 2008 10:14 #2507 by Juniper
MWChapel wrote:

HAHA... You guys are going to love it. Not a spec of plastic in any of them.

Yeah. I've heard they're all cardboard, all the time.

More
12 Feb 2008 12:35 #2528 by Ken B.
Michael Barnes wrote:

The new RISK...watch Gameshark for a special feature in the near future.

Hell...watch this website for a special feature in the near future. Things are...in the works. I can't spoil them yet.

More
12 Feb 2008 12:47 #2529 by Michael Barnes
Yeah...we got plans...plans within plans...

More
12 Feb 2008 12:52 #2530 by Druen Kree
If they are all cardboard I guess thats why there only 30 bucks.

More
12 Feb 2008 13:59 #2534 by Shellhead
I am generally okay with cardboard for game components, but I don't think that cardboard chits are acceptable for Acquire.

More
12 Feb 2008 15:49 #2548 by Lagduf
Yeah, I know Acquire and Diplomacy aren't AT, but honestly I wasn't sure where to post this. However, all three games are classics in their own right.

I'm looking forward to whatever Risk extravaganza is being prepared here/at gameshark.

I don't mind that Diplomacy will be going cardboard, or even if the new Risk is going to use wooden cubes (My bet is plastic though). I'd really like to see Acquire use plastic, or at least devise a way so that the tiles don't slide around the board ala the basic version of Scrabble.

Some people just can't seem to play a game without bumping the table which is why I liked the bookshelf Acquire with the plastic pieces.

More
13 Feb 2008 15:14 #2650 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Hasbro/AH Reprints for 2008
I'm surprisingly somewhat "meh" on all these fronts. For different reasons though:
  1. Diplomacy just won't see play at my house. Never ever. I would love to play it, but my wife? No. My normal play group? No. This is something I'll enjoy once every couple of years (maybe at a con or something)at the OUTSIDE. Just not going to happen for me.
  2. Risk is still Risk. The brand hurts it with my crowd. My friends aren't gamers, so they remember playing Risk and hating the hell out of it. This one won't work, even if it's fixed. Too many bad memories.
  3. Acquire would work--but only if the cardboard bits won't slide all over the place. I'll need to see this one in action before I could commit.
Overall, I'm excited to see these reprints, but I won't be able to get folks around me fired up enough to actually play them.

More
13 Feb 2008 23:28 - 13 Feb 2008 23:31 #2718 by BigLizard
My old '70s version of Risk still sits proudly on top of my game shelf. I'm not sure I could put ol' Betsy out to pasture even for a slick new model. Still lookin' forward to the forthcoming F:AT/Gameshark Riskapalooza!

BillN

PS. Ok, I looked. It's actually right under "Payday" but I've since rectified the situation. Thumbs up!
Last edit: 13 Feb 2008 23:31 by BigLizard.

More
14 Feb 2008 18:47 #2790 by Notahandle
Risk must be an early AT-Euro hybrid. One of my early copies had plastic pieces, the other had wooden ones!
(And there're both probably in the attic somewhere.)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds