October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Marvel Heroes is the shit!

More
13 Feb 2008 19:11 #2687 by hmocc
I'm primarily, and by force of the circumstances, a eurogamer. I live in Europe, I play regularly at a eurogames-friendly club, and my Lovely Lady likes to trash me at games like Kahuna, Mr Jack or Hive.

Having said that, I have been being drawn closer and closer to the dark side of wargaming and AT. Basically, after a GMT shopping spree, I decided it was time to get my inner child (punk!) something nice and shinny, and I went and bought Marvel Heroes.

I can't remember being so positively overwhelmed by a game. I was mesmerized for a good half-hour just looking at the miniatures of most of my favourite heroes. This has got to be the best game components-wise I've ever seen. I'm in awe.

So my questions are:

1) I've read (skimmed) the rules, drooled looking at the minis, spread the map and studied the locations. What should I expect of the gamplay? Is it full AT goodness or will it be euro-dry? (Keep in mind I read reviews at the main boardgame site before purchasing the game...)

2) Does it scale well? What's the best no of players?

3) Is Dr Doom a closet-gay?

Just askin...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2008 20:09 #2689 by maka
Replied by maka on topic Re:Marvel Heroes is the shit!
To me the game is very thematic. It doesn't feel dry at all. Even though I don't read any of the small text from the headlines, I find that all the actions you have to do during the game are closely related to what you'd expect from one of the comic books. Planning what heroes to use each turn and where to send them, then actually carrying those plans out and sometimes having to adapt the plan after problems arise, etc... It all feels very thematic.

I mostly play it as a 2-player game, and find it's perfect like this. The downtime is minimal because you're always involved (when it's not your team's turn, you'll be playing the villains, and vice versa). I've played 3 and 4 player games and had fun too, so I'd say it scales well.

Overall, MH is one of my favorite games right now, and one I enjoy playing time and time again. I think it's deeper than it seems at first, although for me it's more about the fun than anything else...

-Jorge

More
13 Feb 2008 20:15 #2690 by mikelawson
You know, I never thought of Doom as being a closet gay. I figured he simply couldn't handle being second banana to Reed.

--Mike L.

More
13 Feb 2008 20:30 #2697 by ubarose
Print out a couple copies of Mr. Skeletor's flow chart on on BGG. It makes learning the game much easier. Ken did a good write up on the game.

Thoughts on Marvel Heroes

More
13 Feb 2008 21:13 - 13 Feb 2008 21:14 #2698 by Ken B.
Thanks for the props, Uba.

Yeah, Marvel Heroes is great. It's one of the few games I've brought to game day and the guys liked so much that they bought their own copies, to play when I wasn't around. This has only happened with Twilight Imperium and Heroscape in the past. They love it, and I think it's a pretty good game too.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2008 21:14 by Ken B..

More
13 Feb 2008 22:11 #2704 by Merkles
"Marvel Heroes is the shit!"

You know when you've passed into irrelevance in pop culture when you're not sure whether this means the game is great or that the game stinks! :)

Ah well, out here in Iowa, shit is most definitely a common noun.

More
14 Feb 2008 00:01 #2720 by Harkonnen13
Marvel Heroes is indeed a great game. As stated above it's very thematic. The heroes fight lots of villians, the arch villians are definitely a problem. Except for Doom. Besides being a cross dresser (check out the green mini dress under the cape-at least he had it when i was still collecting comics) he's best when working behind the scenes. I wish I could get more people tp play it. CAUTION: eurogamers are very afraid of Marvel Heroes.

More
14 Feb 2008 00:38 #2722 by metalface13
Marvel Heroes is great and it scales really well!

Also Dr. Doom is NOT gay. Like all major super villains, Dr. Doom is a very strange person and can only ejaculate under very precise circumstances. All I can say is 'doombots.'

More
14 Feb 2008 09:31 #2735 by Shellhead
With his stretching power, we are all second banana to Reed "Mister Fantastic" Richards. No wonder Doom hates him so much.

More
14 Feb 2008 11:53 #2747 by southernman
We had one play of it a few weeks back (4 player) and everyone had a hoot with the theme and the game in general. We found it quite hard following the rules initially so if someone has a flowchart then use it, but we kinda had it sussed at the end. All were keen to play it again so I'm looking forward to that.
The only disappointment was that the Arch-Villains never seemed to get into the game, but that may have just been noobs not knowing how and when to use them.

Two of us have recently bought the Marvel Heroscape set (was in a sale in the UK) and one guy was looking at if he could add some of the minis from that into it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds