October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Arkham Horror - best expansion(s)?

More
15 May 2009 21:44 #29009 by benny lava
We're ready to spice up the base game, but the expansion choices are kind of daunting. Which one should we go with 1st?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2009 22:49 #29015 by ozjesting
Many ways to go about this...but from my PoV...Dunwich Horror. More board, more characters, more GOOs, adds the awesome madness/permenant injury cards and rules and a few other little things.

More
16 May 2009 03:42 #29018 by sydo
Agree with Dunwich. But if Innsmouth is on the shelves by the time you decide to buy some expansion, I would buy that just for the theme's sake.

More
16 May 2009 04:38 - 08 Jan 2010 22:44 #29021 by KingPut
ozjesting wrote:

Many ways to go about this...but from my PoV...Dunwich Horror. More board, more characters, more GOOs, adds the awesome madness/permenant injury cards and rules and a few other little things.

Dunwich is the best expansion just as ozjesting said.

I'm hoping Innsmouth will be the best or at least the 2nd best expansion. It looks great I'm hoping it will be as good or better than Dunwich.

Kingsport - 3rd place for expansions. Kingsport is a big expansion so it's more expensive than than King in Yellow, Black Goat and Dark Pharaoh but it has more stuff. Kingsport has new characters and new Great Ones and some other cools things but it's not as good Dunwich for the same price.

King in Yellow, Black Goat and Dark Pharaoh I have tied for 4th. Each game has a little something different and if you play AH more than 10 times a year for $20 or $2.00 a game or $0.50 per player per game that's a pretty good deal in my book. King in Yellow changes the timing and focus of the game. Black Goat adds the cult and corruption and Dark Pharaoh adds the new items.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2010 22:44 by KingPut.

More
16 May 2009 06:16 #29023 by Bullwinkle
I'd go so far as to say Dunwich is absolutely essential, because of the gate bursts it adds. Without them, winning is way too easy. I wouldn't be interested in playing the game without it.

More
16 May 2009 08:29 #29026 by benny lava
Thanks for the advice everybody. I loved the game after the 1st play, so I've picked up all the expansions except Innsmouth - I just didn't know which one to start with. Sounds like Dunwich is a slam dunk, especially with the gate bursts. I agree with Bullwinkle - once you know what you're doing in the base game, winning is pretty straightforward.

More
16 May 2009 08:30 #29027 by mrmarcus
In order:

Dunwich
King in Yellow
Dark Pharoah
Kingsport
Black Goat

High hopes for Innsmouth. As much a cornerstone for Lovecraft as Arkham.

More
16 May 2009 09:37 #29028 by MattFantastic
I really like Kingsport the most, but no one else seems to.

I think the real answer is, they are all great so just start with whichever one has the coolest looking box art and you'll work your way through.

More
16 May 2009 09:52 #29029 by Bulwyf
Dunwich could be considered "the best" especially among the big box expansions. The injury and madness cards are a nice touch. Innsmouth might give it a run for its money once it hits the stores.

As for small box expansions, I really like King in Yellow. By using the touring version of KiY + herald, you can really ramp up the difficulty.

-Will

More
16 May 2009 10:11 #29031 by Shellhead
mrmarcus wrote:

In order:

Dunwich
King in Yellow
Dark Pharoah
Kingsport
Black Goat

High hopes for Innsmouth. As much a cornerstone for Lovecraft as Arkham.

I agree, except that I would move Dark Pharoah to last. It doesn't suck, but the exhibit items are mostly junk and the solo encounters with GOO are broken. I actually like Black Goat a lot, even the blasted herald, but Kingsport fixed the last weak element of the game with the excellent Epic Battle cards. Both the Kingsport GOO and investigators are the strongest yet, and I like the Shan and Moonbeasts because they increase the chance that somebody will get devoured before the end battle.

More
16 May 2009 11:38 #29034 by ubarose
Dunwich's madness and injury cards should be used in every game even if you don't use the rest of the Dunwich expansion. They add to the character development and narrative, and cut down on the fiddliness of resolving a character being reduced to zero health or sanity.

More
16 May 2009 12:49 #29037 by Bulwyf
ubarose wrote:

Dunwich's madness and injury cards should be used in every game even if you don't use the rest of the Dunwich expansion. They add to the character development and narrative, and cut down on the fiddliness of resolving a character being reduced to zero health or sanity.

Agreed. Our group prefers to use the just base game + 1 expansion for our AH sessions. However, we always use the injury and madness cards even if the one expansion of the day isn't Dunwich.

-Will

More
16 May 2009 15:46 #29044 by dragonstout
In the same vein, I think the Kingsport Final Battle cards should always be used regardless of what expansion you're playing. If not, the final battle is a TON of dice rolling, really boring climax. With them, it's still a ton of dice-rolling: but it's dice-rolling with NARRATIVE! Makes all the difference in the world. It also makes the final battle much harder, as it should be.

More
16 May 2009 16:43 #29045 by Bullwinkle
This is one of the great things about AH and its expansions in general: the elements each expansion adds are highly modular. Injuries, Heralds, Epic Battles, etc....a gaming group can pick and choose the elements they want without needing to include or exclude expansions as a whole. It's one reason why even the weaker expansions are still worth the money.

More
17 May 2009 06:50 #29069 by kookoobah
I must agree about the toolbox-ness of Arkham. You can add the bits and pieces of the game that you like and not add the rest. Sure it throws the balance out the window, but who cares, you're playing against the game and what's important is to have fun.

Having said that, I would have to say that my current favorite is Kingsport, but that's because I don't have Dunwich. Epic Battles are awesome.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds