October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Tannhauser--game length and playstyle?

More
11 Jan 2008 14:22 #323 by username
Luckily I got Tannhauser from the wife for my 10th anniversary (she's pleasently hot too, a real keeper!) and I'm a little concerned if maybe there are a few things I'm not getting after a couple warmup games.

Is everyone finding he encounters to be exceptionally deadly? Our first game had more setup time than playtime. The second game, where people actually tried to be a little more tactical lasted a bit longer, but most character vs character conflict ended rather abruptly and violently. Are the charatcers expected to live through one round of being attacked by another? Are the number of instant kill or undefendable attacks for real?

I explained to one guy in my group that was complaining about tha casualty rate that a game of this nature where nobody ever got hurt wouldn't be much fun. But I'm wondering what others feel about the pacing and body count vs. playtime.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2008 14:38 #328 by jur
The lethality and play time came as a shock to me as well, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It means you get more games done. It also probably changes when you start playing scenarios.

More
11 Jan 2008 15:04 #329 by SenorOcho
I have a bigger problem with the setup of the missions.. The fact that its just a two player game is very annoying - sure, the box says it plays with more, but then you get to that "multiple players can play a single side!" text that kills all hope.

What's next? Britannia can be "played" with 16 players! Just give each player a different nation! Return of the Heroes, now supporting up to 36 players! Just have a committee of 6 players making decisions for each hero!

More
11 Jan 2008 15:15 #331 by LilRed
I love tannhauser to death for its awesome theme. But you spend much time arranging packages and thinking through tactics just to get 1 hit killed. Somehow that doesn't rhyme. Characters should have had more hitpoints in my opinion. Apart from that, if you get to know the packs it becomes much less of a problem and it's still a kick ass game.

More
11 Jan 2008 15:39 #335 by username
I can't help but wonder if people have some kind of pre-programmed expectation based on box size towards the game length...

However In our final game (three) we used the player aids from the other boardgame site and it certainly made pack selection a lot quicker and easier.

Of course everyone having a rules summary in hand never hurts either.

I'm glad to hear at least that others are having a similar play experience. I don't have a real problem with the pacing per se, I was just afraid I was missing something vital. (Accidentally not halving wounds, or not giving extra saves or who knows what!) As "The Guy" in my group who owns most of the games and has to teach everything I all too often miss something important. I'm glad to hear it apears we're doing things close to correct.

More
11 Jan 2008 18:26 #367 by Mr Skeletor
I was disapointed in Tannhauser but the newer stuff in the character boxes is making it better (SCENARIOS! YAY!)

I really, REALLY hate the language independent components though. Someone with a bit of photo shop skill should make little 'cards' with text that you put directly onto your character sheet.

More
11 Jan 2008 18:57 #377 by jhuntin1
In the couple of games I have played, only a handful of encounters were instant kills, and those were due to the "roll a 10 and die" weapons rather than a failure to make a shock roll.

The hardest part of setting up Tannhauser for me was figuring out the rules for how and where to set up the crates, as the rules were not clear in this department.

I am hoping that the upcoming Russians set adds more depth and especially more scenarios.

More
11 Jan 2008 21:53 #405 by Last Alchemist
Tannhauser has a number of problems going for it, but it also has a number of good things going for it.

I will tell you have only played one game, but that one game was so disappointing that I don't know if I will ever be able to suck it up and play again.

The LOS system is outstanding, I just wish they hadn't used it with this game.

I can't believe I am saying this, but there is just too much variable player power with the packs, and all of the various shit you can have. I love variable player powers, and how it makes a game unique and enjoyable when you try playing as a different group, but this just was way too much for my taste.

The setup for our game was also longer than the actual game. Maybe the scenarios do fix the system, but something just didn't feel right the whole time I was playing the game.

Great theme, great art (except for the board, too dark to see some of the rooms), and a great LOS system, but with all of the problems it DOES have, makes me glad I didn't purchase this when it first came out.

LA

More
18 Jan 2008 20:28 #1124 by Hahnarama
Give it another chance....yes it can be one sided, in favor of the Germans, but you have to think and plan. The story mode/scenario is just dam good two player gaming. I've got non gamers who are really into Tannhauser.

More
18 Jan 2008 22:56 #1126 by Grungebob
I like it a lot, from the half dozen times I've played it.

More
15 Feb 2008 22:47 #2866 by Merkles
Just got this in a math trade (after my cost and shipping costs--a total cost to me of $25). Though I read some negative things about it---Barnes seemed unsure of it (interested to know if he played only multiplayer with it or not)--it seemed like it might be a good quick, two player game.

Anything that would be particularly difficult about playing with a sixth grader?

Also, Mr. Skeletor, I noticed that you were disappointed but no details--not even a review on BGG (which surprised me).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds