October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Viktory II quintissential ameritrash

More
04 Mar 2008 11:54 #3778 by Shellhead
I've never played Viktory II, and I don't even know anybody around here who owns it, but I did read a great article about the design process of that game. Amazing stuff, especially the very specific info about his production of components and even box design. I see that the article is now part of his website:

www.viktorygame.com/viktoryiihistory/

Every game designer probably makes at least one major mistake along the way, and a common one is to spend too much time and effort on an early prototype, before really working out the rules themselves.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2008 14:08 #3790 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, that "making of" thing he has up is really awesome...he covers pretty much every step of the process from idea to finished product and includes frank discussion of where he screwed up along the way. It's really cool too because it shows a real DIY spirit.

More
04 Mar 2008 15:35 #3793 by Ken B.
I meant to pick this up awhile back and it just sort of fell off my radar. It looks great and the rules look like they discourage ramapnant turtle-tactics, the bane of many would-be conquest games.

More
04 Mar 2008 22:28 #3797 by bob_the_goon
My copy arrived yesterday. I hope to play it at game night on Thursday. I like the rules, pretty straightforward, and turtling definitely is not an option. The economic system looks fairly unique and encourages aggressive play. For me, the coolest part is picking one of several end game conditions before hand which should serve to regulate gametime and make it epic when I want it to be, and a more game night friendly two hours give or take, when I need a shorter game.

More
04 Mar 2008 22:51 #3798 by BigLizard

I've never played Viktory II, and I don't even know anybody around here who owns it, but I did read a great article about the design process of that game. Amazing stuff, especially the very specific info about his production of components and even box design. I see that the article is now part of his website:
www.viktorygame.com/viktoryiihistory/

Thoroughly fascinating reading. I couldn't stop reading to the end. The game looks like a winner. And the story of the evolution from "amateur" to "professional" production is inspirational to anyone who might want to design their own game.

-- BillN

More
05 Mar 2008 00:27 #3806 by Ken B.
I went ahead and posted Xerxes' review, it's a good read. Out of respect for the passing of Gygax, I left his tribute article as the topmost item but you can see it as the second item on the page or the top item of "Recent Articles".

Nice rules breakdown. I'll have to put this one back on the ol' radar to pick up. What's really striking is how great the product looks--not just from a "Gee, this indie produced thing looks okay" but as in "that would be awesome even from a large publisher."

More
07 Mar 2008 08:14 #3889 by bob_the_goon
Played a five player game last night and loved it. We used the Doomsday Clock endgame variant, but two players were wiped out well before the clock struck endgame. This game can be ruthlessly fast and brutal and once someone gets a sizable lead it becomes hard to knock them down without alliances. Game time was reasonable, somewhere in the two hour range I think. Definitely a good game for a weeknight gaming session.

More
07 Mar 2008 13:01 #3897 by PseudoIntellectual
I don't think I've played a game where myself and/or others didn't attempt an alliance to knock down the guy on top. I highly suggest it!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds