October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

R.I.P...

More
14 Jan 2008 11:08 - 14 Jan 2008 11:31 #600 by Pat
R.I.P... was created by Pat
It is with great sadness and that I must announce the passing (into the garbage) of my original Gamemaster series copy of Axis & Allies. I will always remember the frequent trips downtown to my favorite hobby shop to admire the box before I could make the purchase on my 13th birthday. Two months of holding the box and admiring the splendid bits arrayed on the lavish oversized board depicted on the back of the box, culminated in one of the most important purchases of my young life. I played the hell out of that sucker. Then, sometime around my early twenties the game found it's way into a large box to hold the rest of my oversized games, sitting at the bottom in order to support the rest of them.

Many drunken, stoned, pc game playing years passed by. While I had felt bad about ignoring my old friends I had felt a (false) sense of security and comfort knowing these games were tucked away safely pining for the day I could finally crack them open again. When that day came I opened the box and began taking each one of the classics out finding their pieces cluttered and strewn but otherwise in the way I had left them...that is until I reached Axis & Allies sitting at the bottom. You see, in order to support all of these oversized boxes in another oversized box my Axis & Allies had taken one for the team and succumbed to mold. All of the cardboard pieces along with the interior of the box had broken under the strain and pressure of a constant withering offensive forced on it by the elements and helped along by my own ignorance and inability to provide necessary assistance and relief.

I tried to ignore this discovery and pretend that this had not happened, cleaning out the invaders the best I could, selfishly so I could look at the box and admire some more whilst reminiscing.

This passing and stoic duty has not gone unnoticed as the plastic guts of the game were harvested, counted, and organized. Now they sit ready for possible call up should their services once again be required during future plays of Axis &d Allies Revised Edition, which my daughter so kindly provided as a Christmas gift to try and help me cope with this loss.

Farewell friend. May your offensive into the landfill be another legendary success.

Ok that was long but...Hey it's A&A!!
Last edit: 14 Jan 2008 11:31 by Pat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2008 11:26 #601 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:R.I.P...
I could swear that somewhere in the distance, I could hear the sound of "Taps" softly being played.

More
14 Jan 2008 11:35 #602 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:R.I.P...
God damn it...I'm sitting here mourning the death of Malia Nurmi (Vampira) and then the news of Pat's A&A passing on hits F:AT.

Well, at least you were able to engage in a little organ harvesting.

More
14 Jan 2008 11:51 #606 by Malloc
Replied by Malloc on topic Re:R.I.P...
You should paint all the salvaged bits black and create a memorial.

-M

More
14 Jan 2008 13:36 #620 by Pat
Replied by Pat on topic Re:R.I.P...
Thanks for the support guys, I've been trying to find the "taking hiatus from hobby" site to post this as a warning but I can't seem to find it. Alas more great games seem destined to suffer this same fate. I can at least take comfort in the knowledge that I didn't pimp it off on e-bay during those dark years...never to know its final resting place.

More
14 Jan 2008 15:56 #638 by Druen Kree
Replied by Druen Kree on topic Re:R.I.P...
This is sad indeed.I lost my box to Fortress America during moving Years ago but thankefully was able to save the Board and pieces .They now live in my old Axis and Allies box.

More
14 Jan 2008 18:40 #664 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:R.I.P...
At least A&A is still out and thus easily replaceable.
If one of the gamemaster's have to go, it's best it's that one.

More
15 Jan 2008 05:30 #705 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:R.I.P...
I had a bunch of games (most hardly played) from the late 70s go MIA while I was on my 'adventures' during the 80s & 90s - 'Dungeon', 'Stellar Conquest', 'Godsfire', 'Magic Realm', and all my 'Tunnels & Trolls' solo books. Prime suspect was my dad in one of his spring cleaning attacks - fair enough 'cos it was about 15years before I started looking for them again.
The only good news was during a recent visit back to Kiwiland I found an old suitcase and inside it was 'Magic Realm', complete and in pretty good condition, so that was quickly added to my return luggage ... and the happy ending is that I traded it on BGG for a mint condition WotC 'RoboRally'.

Still miss my Tunels & Trolls though, and periodically scour eBay.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds