October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2630 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Arkham Horror - solo practice run

More
27 Mar 2008 12:53 #4419 by benny lava
I'm planning on busting out Arkham Horror (for the 1st time) for one of our upcoming game nights. Before I unleash it on the masses, I thought I'd better play through it solo in order to get the hang of things.

Besides using Mr. Skeletor's flowcharts, do any of you FA:Tties have any tips for solo play?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2008 13:55 #4420 by Shellhead
Play three characters when you play solo. That way you have a chance of winning by closing or sealing gates. Until Kingsport Horror addresses this issue, the only bad part about Arkham Horror is the horrid dicefest endgame if you don't deal with all the gates and the Great Old One shows up. Arkham Horror is a perfectly fun game to play solo, and with three characters, you will have enough to work with to develop some strategy for winning besides just desperate shopping and lucky dice rolls in the final battle.

More
28 Mar 2008 17:56 - 28 Mar 2008 17:57 #4441 by jeb
For the first play I would take on Yig. He's small, so the game won't go too long, even if there's a final shootout. He also makes you sweat the Environment cards, which people mess up horribly.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2008 17:57 by jeb. Reason: HORRIFIC TYPOS, jeez

More
28 Mar 2008 21:32 #4444 by benny lava
Thanks for the tips. If all goes according to plan (which it never does), tomorrow's the day.

More
30 Mar 2008 20:05 #4467 by benny lava
Well, F:ATties, thanks to your tips, Joe Diamond, Sister Mary, Ashcan Pete and Mandy Thompson were able to turn back Yig before he made it into our world.

I had a great time, but I'm really glad I played solo 1st. It would have taken much longer had we tried to learn as a group. I think I will give it a go on my own at least once more before attempting to teach it to the rest of the guys.

More
30 Mar 2008 21:06 #4468 by benny lava
Well, F:ATties, thanks to your tips, Joe Diamond, Sister Mary, Ashcan Pete and Mandy Thompson were able to turn back Yig before he made it into our world.

I had a great time, but I'm really glad I played solo 1st. It would have taken much longer had we tried to learn as a group. I think I will give it a go on my own at least once more before attempting to teach it to the rest of the guys.

More
31 Mar 2008 00:08 #4469 by metalface13
Joe Diamond and Ashcan Pete are two of my favs! I can't stand the nun though. She's terrible.

More
31 Mar 2008 07:08 #4471 by benny lava
metalface13 wrote:

Joe Diamond and Ashcan Pete are two of my favs! I can't stand the nun though. She's terrible.

I don't have any frame of reference since it was my first time playing, but I thought she did OK. The Blessing thing gives her more hits on skill checks and combat and her high lore made her a good magic user.

I would be curious to know what everyone's favorite characters are.

Also, can you use DH investigators in a basic game of AH, or can they only be used in conjunction with DH?

More
31 Mar 2008 07:35 #4472 by bob_the_goon
I enjoy the nun. My favorite is the reformed cultist though. Can't remember her name or which set she's from, but I got to use her in my last game a couple of weeks ago.

More
31 Mar 2008 10:29 #4473 by Shellhead
From the base set, I like Monterrey Jack because he was in the original Arkham Horror, and also because he was sample character in at least one of the Call of Cthulhu rulebook editions. We used to call him the cheesy guy, and in the original game, he was the only character with a translucent pawn. Also, I like playing the gangster, because he starts with a tommy gun. And there are like three different female characters in the base set who all look like Agent Sculley, and I kind of like the scientist one because she blocks gates from opening at her current location.

All of the characters from the Dunwich Horror expansion are pretty cool. I like the Expedition Leader, for his ability to help out other players. The jockette is great for taking a hit for the team, and she is extremely fast. But the coolest one is the handyman... he starts with a motorcycle and a bottle of whiskey, and he can pick up cash here and there by doing odd jobs like chopping wood.

More
31 Mar 2008 10:57 #4474 by ubarose
Sister Mary is my favorite character because she is such a challenge to play well. Most of the other characters have a clear advantage for one type a task or another. With Sister Mary, you have to assess the group's strengths and weaknesses and then determine a strategy for how to develop Mary to fill in what ever is missing. I find that if you can get the group to work together and make a couple of individual sacrafices at the begining of the game, such as handing off some money or items to Sister Mary, she can become a team assistant by mis-game and a real powerhouse towards the end game. Sister Mary with a Motercycle, a shotgun and her Blessing can really tear up the board.

More
31 Mar 2008 11:56 - 31 Mar 2008 11:58 #4475 by jeb
I like the Nun. As noted above, the Blessing is awesome. Getting a Blessing in game at the Church is difficult, if not impossible against some GOO's (you can't be pitching Monster trophies against some of those guys amirite?) And let us nto forget the story. A shotgun-toting nun is pretty sweet. Think of the conflicts roiling through her brain when she takes her first trip through a gate.

I also like the Hobo. I haven't played the Handyman yet, but having a motorcycle sounds awesome. In any game of 4+, I like to have a cop just to be able to drive around.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2008 11:58 by jeb. Reason: Nun details.

More
31 Mar 2008 12:07 #4476 by benny lava
One thing (among many) that I wasn't clear on - can more than 1 investigator enter a gate at the same time? If so, are there any advantages to doing so?

More
31 Mar 2008 12:55 #4480 by jeb
I wouldn't recommend it. I've always played with the rule that if you seal the gate with your teammate still in the Other World, that they are immediately Out of Time and Space and you lose a sanity point for sacrificing them. That's a pretty fucked up thing to do.

More
01 Apr 2008 01:46 #4499 by metalface13
Well I guess Sister Mary would be OK if you had Blessing for the majority of the game. But I am TERRIBLE at rolling for Blessings during the upkeep phase. I ALWAYS roll a one on the first turn after getting a blessing.

So whenever I play as Sister Mary from turn 2 on I'm just some bumbling nun who has lost her way and doesn't have the stamina to fight off any monsters or any other good stats to do anything worthwhile. So she slowly loses her sanity until she's finally devoured by some ungodly creature and I can thankfully draw a new character.

Like I said before, Joe Diamond is my favorite character. He's just so cool! Cruising the streets with his .45, piecing together clues and putting the hurt on the GOO.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds