October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

LAST NIGHT ON EARTH expansion

More
17 Apr 2008 08:48 #5103 by Ken B.
Yeah, that makes much more sense. Anyway, they're willing to fix the problem, so like I said it's a non-issue.

If they were all like, "Sorry, gamers! Suck on it!" I might could understand the outrage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2008 15:39 #5117 by Michael Barnes
OK, I have a copy in hand right now. The new boards are definitely lighter- the grass is more of a cyan green and everything doesn't look so muddy- a good thing, and I'll definitely get the replacement boards _even if I have to pay a couple of dollars for them.

BUT WHO THE FUCK CARES IF THEY'RE LIGHTER?! It boggles my mind that these tubby, anal jerks who can barely match their clothes pitch a fucking fit over stupid shit like this. I mean, if you don't care about what YOU look like then why nitpick over "unacceptable" shit like this...god damn it. It boils my blood and makes me question why the hell I'm involved in this hobby with such crap people who do nothing but embarass me through association when I say "I'm a boardgamer". And it's such a light, frivolous game, I can't imagine someone getting in a tizzy because they can see that they're drawing a card from the expansion and not the base game.

"Totally unacceptable"...give me a fucking break. It's sad that the designer had to actually plea for people to not cancel their preorders based on this shit.

Anyway, looks like there's some good additions...but I still hate the goofy B-movie setting and I'm sort of over the whole zombie thing at this point unless we're discussing 1980s Italian gore movies. 2 player variant looks neat.

More
18 Apr 2008 00:48 #5123 by Gary Sax
Michael Barnes wrote:

It boils my blood and makes me question why the hell I'm involved in this hobby with such crap people who do nothing but embarass me through association when I say "I'm a boardgamer".

Amen brother

More
18 Apr 2008 03:56 #5129 by scissors
Michael - I'm pissed for being referred to as a "tubby, anal jerk" for complaining at that "other" site. I ain't tubby but lean and mean! Yeah, I was one of those who did get my panties all in a twist over the production quality of the LNoE expansion and I wrote some comments. So what? I later deleted them (not because I wasn't annoyed) but because the gathering storm of complaints went_overboard_and put the whole thing out of proportion.

But bitching about something the company didn't get right - why the hell not? I reserve the right to bitch - that's what the internet is for! The devil is in the details in a lot of professions, why not here? Some people bitch about chits being printed off-centre for Neuroshima Hex! (I didn't) others about the bits in Tide of Iron. Even a new company like FFP should learn how to shrug it off and get on with it - nobody needs to hold anybody's hand over it.

As for FFP, yeah, in hindsight it isn't a big deal: they came up with a solution, and even if they didn't the game would play just fine even if they printed it pink, yadda, yadda, yadda. I also like Ubarose pointing out those who bought the first copies have bragging rights. Yeah!

The geek reaction BGG was out of proportion but why are YOU getting all ruffled? You're beyond this... thousands of people like me read about your game store adventures. Hell, I don't even admit I play board games to most people: it's none of their godamned business unless they're coming over. And I don't play with unwashed nerds either. The people in our group you'd never suspect love board games - because they don't *just* play board games like some incorrigible geeks. They have lives, they get hammered at the weekend, they go out to bars, they have other interests. Just once in a while they want to crush you as Lannister or jam a foam gun in your face.

More
18 Apr 2008 08:45 - 18 Apr 2008 08:46 #5138 by Ken B.
Scissors, for what it's worth I completely understand the initial complaints. I've seen photos and yeah, those new boards stand out like sore thumbs. However, two things:

1. Once FFP came forward and offered to fix things, the complaints continued to pour in. Pre-orders were threatened cancellation. People continued to rant and rave like FFP had stomped on their testicles and called them a Jar Jar-lover. It became a big pile-on session for no reason, because FFP is going to make good on the problem. Now...if several months pass and no further resolution is offered, I could understand if some people got antsy. But holy shit, it's only been out what, a week or so? Give them time, people!

2. The "problem" in no way inhibits gameplay. Yeah, so the aesthetics are off. Big deal. The game plays exactly the same. We're not talking about problems like Through the Ages that FRED has unloaded on gamers...have you seen pictures of that? The damn deck of cards warp in all different directions, it's a piece of shit production all around and it impacts gameplay. THAT I can understand getting the old panties in a wad over (especially for a $70 game.) But in THIS case, I mean, it's all looks. You can still play the damn thing while you wait for FFP to fix the issue.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2008 08:46 by Ken B..

More
18 Apr 2008 09:21 - 18 Apr 2008 09:41 #5139 by scissors
No, no, I see your point, Ken B, but even a fan of FFP or Ameritrash games or the zombie genre can go off the rails! Basically, I was annoyed & wrote some remarks at BGG, took down my remarks when the whole thing started to got more and more hissy and 'snowballed'. At some point this kind of thing just begins being totally counter-productive. And yes, I would be angrier if I'd bought TtA or a green full-mold edition of Duel in the Dark, lost in China (which I am staying away from until a reprint from Z-Man. Hopefully there will be one).

Just don't ever call me fat! I am not one of those sweaty lardbags Barnes likes to describe playing El Grande!
Last edit: 18 Apr 2008 09:41 by scissors.

More
18 Apr 2008 15:00 #5161 by mikoyan
Ken B. wrote:

Yeah, that makes much more sense. Anyway, they're willing to fix the problem, so like I said it's a non-issue.

If they were all like, "Sorry, gamers! Suck on it!" I might could understand the outrage.

Maybe that's the problem. They were too nice about it. If they were the other kind, people would take it and love it...

More
18 Apr 2008 15:02 #5162 by mikoyan
scissors wrote:

No, no, I see your point, Ken B, but even a fan of FFP or Ameritrash games or the zombie genre can go off the rails! Basically, I was annoyed & wrote some remarks at BGG, took down my remarks when the whole thing started to got more and more hissy and 'snowballed'. At some point this kind of thing just begins being totally counter-productive. And yes, I would be angrier if I'd bought TtA or a green full-mold edition of Duel in the Dark, lost in China (which I am staying away from until a reprint from Z-Man. Hopefully there will be one).

Just don't ever call me fat! I am not one of those sweaty lardbags Barnes likes to describe playing El Grande!

I wish I had read about that little problem before I bought Duel in the Dark. the crappy part is that they knew aobut the problem and shipped it anyway. But Z-man is releasing some farming game...so he's God and can do no wrong.

More
18 Apr 2008 15:40 #5164 by Michael Barnes
Michael - I'm pissed for being referred to as a "tubby, anal jerk" for complaining at that "other" site.

Hey, I was generalizing! Please don't interfere with my engaging of stereotypes, OK?

I ain't tubby but lean and mean!

Are you the woman in the avatar?

The geek reaction BGG was out of proportion but why are YOU getting all ruffled? You're beyond this...

What the hell is "BGG" anyway? I knew about the complaints because I have a psychic oneness with the spirit of hobby boardgaming. When people bitch about something dumb...I just know...

But why get ruffled? Because I love this stupid hobby with all my heart and I hate to see people bring it down with a bunch of anal nitpicking that reflects poorly on the general character of its constiuents. I hate to see good people and good businesses have to deal with internet entitlement and these idiotic expectations that the supposed "intimacy" the board game community has. I hate to see the blight of the internet- Nerd Rage- damage reputations, harm sales, and prejudice people away from good products.

In short, it pisses me off that things that used to be just kind of a groaner that you forgot after 10 minutes of opening the box are now "100% Unacceptable" and outrageous issues. Out of all those TALISMAN expansions, did _any_ of them really match up right?

More
18 Apr 2008 16:08 #5168 by mikoyan
I don't think there's ever been a game that's taken me 10 minutes to open. But I hear some people bitch if it takes more than 10 seconds.

What riles me is if you open and box and get a nice whiff of ass.

More
21 Apr 2008 09:32 #5197 by KingPut
mikoyan wrote:

I don't think there's ever been a game that's taken me 10 minutes to open. But I hear some people bitch if it takes more than 10 seconds.
What riles me is if you open and box and get a nice whiff of ass.

I ran a test between the Last Night on Earth box and the Growing Hungery Box. Both boxes made an equally powerful whiff of ass sound.

Most of the things I like about Growing Hungry relates to playing with my 11 year old daughter Ghost and teenagers. Top 3 things I like about GH:

1. Alone in the dark (2 player - short game). Ghost could play the Zombies fine and 1-2 Heros fine but playing 4 heros is a pain in the ass. When I did it I ended up having to look under each heros cards to remmeber where's the ammo card, who has the Faith card.

2. Handicaps for the Zombies or Heros. Again I plan on handicapping myself when playing against her or other teenagers. Letting her lock doors when I'm the hero or giving her free searches.

3. 4 extra character, including 2 new girl characters.

More
22 Apr 2008 17:00 #5255 by ubarose
KingPut,

I had a blast playing LNoE with a couple of tweener boys. They play two heroes each and I play the zombies. My handicap is that they make me laugh so much, I forget what I'm doing, forget to play cards, and generally screw up and fail.

More
23 Apr 2008 00:47 #5271 by metalface13
I just played my first scenario in LNOE that wasn't the kill 15 zombies one the other night. We drew the Burn 'Em Out scenario where you have to destroy three spawning pits. Unfortunately, my wife and I were on the verge of winning against my friend and his fiance when we were overtaken by the zombie hordes. I like the scenario and the addition of the advanced cards. It made it way better.

I haven't really read into the Growing Hunger expansion, because for some reason it just doesn't call to me the way a Descent expansion does. I'm pretty satisfied with LNOE just the way it is.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds