October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Definitive Mad Max game?

More
30 Dec 2009 04:48 #51586 by Xerxes
Replied by Xerxes on topic Re:Definitive Mad Max game?
Used to play lots of Car Wars, but increasing age & beer consumption led us to feel that it's just too bloody fiddly, so now when we want to blow cars up we tend to play Roadkill from Avalon Hill, plays faster and has many as many opportunities to mess up your opponents.

Happy new year all.
Xerxes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2010 02:02 #51757 by username
Since starting this thread I've acquired Battlecars(with exp), Thunder Road, and Wreckage.

I've played one game of Battlecars with one of my gamer buddies and tons of games of Thunder Road during the lead in to my new years eve party.

Battlecars really hits the spot nicely for gamers.

Thunder Road is the obvious go-to for less geeky types or kids. Thunder Road really summarises Road Warrior nicely and simply, although it's a little light , it is a great Beer and Pretzels dice fest. I had tons of fun swilling cheap beer and playing it multiple times last night. (I even let people have drinks at the table and eat hot wings and such while we played! wink wink )

More
02 Jan 2010 12:46 #51769 by TheDukester
Squigherder wrote:

... Thunder Road

I am so playing this one this year. New Year's resolution, and all that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
10 Jan 2017 23:07 #242206 by Cranberries

Michael Barnes wrote: The problem with ALL "Mad Max" games is that they all have exactly the same problem as any racing game- no sense of speed, velocity, or pace. DARK FUTURE may be cool and all, but it's slow, clunky, and you've got to consult charts and tables. ROAD KILL has a couple of good ideas but Don Greenwood-ese puts on the breaks early and hard.

The _only_ game that captures the spirit of the action in the pictures is THUNDER ROAD- not just in what you see on the board, but also conceptually. It's just one long, endless duel on barren roads with no kind of movement possible except forward and fast. It really nails the feel of the end of ROAD WARRIOR- it just needs car-to-car boarding, but that would probably bog it down in needless rules and ruin the sense of momentum it has.

"Mad Max" games get a couple of things so completely wrong it's not even funny. Mad Max was never about hood-mounted "autocannons" or any of that, nor was it about some kind of arena sport (that's Thunderdome, but that's also man-to-man). CAR WARS sort of shifted the idea of car combat games to that concept, and I never really liked it all that much. There's a couple of mounted weapons in the films (like that triple arrow launcher) but NONE of the cars are bristling with weapons...they're junk, salvaged from other parts. There's never any scene where car-mounted machine guns blaze away at another car- in fact, guns and bullets are pretty scarce. DEATH RACE 2000 didn't even have cars shooting other cars.

I like the Mad Max idea so much better- open ****pit vehicles, boarding, really more of a man-to-man fight across moving cars. No game really has that.

BUMP

More
11 Jan 2017 07:48 #242213 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic Re:Definitive Mad Max game?
That censored "cock" is hilarious. Thanks for bumping this Cranberries. I read the bits on Circus Imperium and found a sealed copy on ebay for $30.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
11 Jan 2017 09:01 #242216 by the_jake_1973
I need to find a copy of that game as well. I had it in high school and it disappeared into the mists of time.

More
11 Jan 2017 14:20 #242241 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic Definitive Mad Max game?
Give me 2 months and I'll probably send it to you for nothing but shipping. :)

More
11 Jan 2017 14:29 #242242 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Definitive Mad Max game?
Here's a thought - If they do a Fury Road board game, will it break the atmosphere or theme for y'all if any component of the game is not Teal or Orange?

More
11 Jan 2017 15:18 #242244 by ChristopherMD

boothwah wrote: Here's a thought - If they do a Fury Road board game, will it break the atmosphere or theme for y'all if any component of the game is not Teal or Orange?

Yes

More
11 Jan 2017 15:23 #242245 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Definitive Mad Max game?
It would also need to come with a can of chrome spray paint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, san il defanso, stoic

More
11 Jan 2017 15:23 - 11 Jan 2017 16:20 #242246 by san il defanso
Oh I dunno, I'd probably be fine if some of the components were shiny and chrome.

*Edit* I mean...what bfkillerr said...
Last edit: 11 Jan 2017 16:20 by san il defanso.

More
11 Jan 2017 19:58 #242256 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Definitive Mad Max game?
Could be a really cool game. Skirmish combat, with rolling terrain, where you walk around your convoy to man different turrets, or jump to an enemy vehicle and harass the driver so he crashes into a cliff side?

More
12 Jan 2017 10:20 #242292 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Definitive Mad Max game?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, san il defanso, hotseatgames, charlest

More
12 Jan 2017 11:11 #242297 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Definitive Mad Max game?

Sevej wrote: Could be a really cool game. Skirmish combat, with rolling terrain, where you walk around your convoy to man different turrets, or jump to an enemy vehicle and harass the driver so he crashes into a cliff side?

This sounds like a job for Games Workshop. Given their enthusiasm for movie franchises like Alien and Predator and Rambo, I'm surprised that they haven't done anything along the lines of Mad Max.

More
12 Jan 2017 11:46 - 12 Jan 2017 12:00 #242301 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Definitive Mad Max game?
They did, it was called Gorka Morka.

I remember a specific scenario that had the scenery moving off one side of the board and new scenery added to the other side to simulate a high speed chase/battle.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2017 12:00 by Columbob.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds