October 09, 2023
2499 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Weekly Trash - DOOM: The Boardgame

More
30 Apr 2008 10:58 #5572 by ChristopherMD
Thanks, I'll check out that software sometime.

We typically try to use melee combat as much as possible to conserve ammo. Better to do it on smaller critters when its still voluntary than wait until you run out of ammo and have no choice while possibly facing a bigger creature. I wonder if people who comlain about running out of ammo are relying too much on it being a shooting game. Do you usually use guns for everything? What about grenades? With those we do the opposite and use them at the first opportunity. Grenades are fun. When we first played we discussed the idea of infinite pistol ammo, but ultimately decided against it.

I don't recall every doing this, but does anyone ever split up? Like if you know the map already and two routes end at the same place. I can see good and bad points to it. You don't have someone to watch your back, but you also force the overlord to split his resources. If he concentrates on one marine it'd make it easier for that person to run away since he wouldn't have to worry about helping a comrade. Or is splitting up just a bad idea in general?

I have a PC monitor on my gaming/dining table. Last time we played I used a screensaver that showed images from DOOM3 and played the theme music. It worked out pretty well, but didn't have much variety making it too repetitive after a while. I'll probably just play music next time, maybe something industrial sounding. Anyone else do atmoshperic stuff when they play?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2008 13:11 #5586 by Citadel
I'd guess spliting the party would give the overlord more places to spawn, which is often a big limit for them. Also, I can see having less firepower per monster the marines in one section might fail to get enough kills each turn and the monsters just stack up and up.

More
30 Apr 2008 13:35 #5590 by VonTush
I actually own Doom and the Expansion but have a rough time getting people to play...so needless to say it is collecting too much dust than it should.

But, my question is...Space Hulk is mentioned above and how the Marines need a few games on a mission just to know what they are doing. The problem I have with Space Hulk is for example on the first mission, once the Marnines know what they are doing, then the Genestealer player really has no way to win anymore.

Does Doom have the same problem where once the Marnies "solve" the puzzle of how to beat a mission does it swing it from Invader advantage to Marine advantage?

More
30 Apr 2008 17:30 #5598 by Rliyen
Citadel wrote:

Doom is an up against the ropes getting pummeled, will we make it out alive kind of game. I played one game of Doom where we didn't even make it out of the first room that is how hard it is.

Sounds like the first scenario in the LE Game Aliens. Get some bad rolls for Alien placement and that, my friend, is your ass.

More
02 May 2008 09:03 #5704 by ChristopherMD
If anyone wants to do this thread next week let me know. Otherwise I'll throw something up. But ultimately I won't be able to do it every week so sooner or later someone else will have to pitch in. :-)

More
03 May 2008 17:30 #5787 by metalface13
Hmm...what's the format? We post games we like and want to hear others views? Post a question about a game we want to know more about?

More
04 May 2008 00:21 #5791 by Ken B.
metalface13 wrote:

Hmm...what's the format? We post games we like and want to hear others views? Post a question about a game we want to know more about?

Why not? Sounds like as good a format as any. Discuss one game in particular for one week, give it the spotligt. Title them similarly so they're easily searchable. Should work fine.

More
30 Jul 2008 14:48 #9310 by Aarontu
So, I've been playing oldschool Doom lately and was just thinking it would be cool to recreate some of the missions from E1 of the original Doom in Doom TBG (as closely as possible). A bunch of way harder enemies would spawn as you play, but it just be so cool! (I think)

If I owned the game, I would totally do it. I'd see if you could make a pretty good recreation with the tiles that come with the game. If not, I would make my own board sections on posterboard or card or something, for the first few levels, anyway. It would make for a cool campaign, I think. The hangar, nuclear plant, and toxic waste refinery, definitley. Maybe skip to the last level at the end. Of course, there would be no energy weapons, just like in the PC game.

More
30 Jul 2008 15:01 #9312 by Shellhead
I played once and thought that Doom was okay. The basic mechanics are okay, and the dice are both efficient and fun. It doesn't quite feel like Doom, more like a Space Hulk wannabe. In particular, the map tiles don't quite convey the same feeling of running around in a vast structure. Given a choice, I would rather play the original Doom than the boardgame.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds