October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

New Flying Frog game: A Touch of Evil

More
30 Apr 2008 01:32 #5550 by metalface13
And it looks pretty awesome! boardgamegeek.com/game/35815

Sounds like each player gets to be a hero and go around and kill supernatural evil stuff! I guess the baddies are controlled by the game system? Kind of like Arkham Horror meets the Buffy: VTS game.

I'm pretty excited for the potential of this game!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2008 06:07 #5559 by Citadel
I haven't had a chance to play Last Night on Earth yet. Is it good? I turned down a game to play something forgettable. Kingsburg I think. I regret it now. This looks interesting - another Arkham Horror/Betrayal at House on the Hill.

Will this game have Orson Welles? Saying that there is I think a severe lack of good noir games. Am I wrong?

More
30 Apr 2008 10:32 #5565 by Michael Barnes
I don't think there's anything "Buffy" about it...it looks like they're going for a gothic horror/Solomon Kane kind of thing and for that...I'm pretty god damned excited. Speaking as someone who owns every Hammer horror film released on DVD, I love the theme, I love the period, and I can't wait to stake some vampire and play cards that speak to repressed Victorian sexuality.

BUT...it looks corny as hell because of that damn photo art Flying Frog insists on. The costumes look like third-tier rentals, the people look uncomfortable and seem to know they look silly, and it's disappointing that it looks so much like LNoE. Hopefully it'll pan out in the end with a cool game and please god, no CD this time.

LNoE is pretty good. It's not great, but pretty good. It's easy to play, has a lot of broad appeal, and some fun things going on. BUT OH MY GOD THE EXPANSION IS SLIGHTLY LIGHTER THAN THE BASE GAME!!! YMMV! BUYER BEWARE!

More
30 Apr 2008 11:42 #5577 by ubarose
Michael Barnes wrote:

I don't think there's anything "Buffy" about it...

Now you are just talking through your hat. I know you hate "Buffy" as a theme, and doubt that you have ever played the game. If you had you would understand where people are coming from when they compare LNoE to Buffy: The Boardgame, or say Touch of Evil sounds Buffy-like.

More
30 Apr 2008 18:49 #5603 by Mr Skeletor
Michael Barnes wrote:

BUT...it looks corny as hell because of that damn photo art Flying Frog insists on. The costumes look like third-tier rentals, the people look uncomfortable and seem to know they look silly, and it's disappointing that it looks so much like LNoE. Hopefully it'll pan out in the end with a cool game and please god, no CD this time.

Rubbish. I hope FFP stick to with the whole 'photo art' thing - it was a novel idea that sets them apart from the crowd. Aren't you always bitching about a lack of innovation in the industry? Well here it is.
And it better come with a CD. You can send me yours so I have a spare.

LNoE is pretty good. It's not great, but pretty good.

I'd move it up to 'great'. It's really the most "old skool" Ameritrash game that has been published in recent times. For such a simple game it has a fair ammount of depth and achieves what it sets out to do wonderfully.

BUT OH MY GOD THE EXPANSION IS SLIGHTLY LIGHTER THAN THE BASE GAME!!! YMMV! BUYER BEWARE!

Huh? I was about to pick this up at lunchtime!

More
30 Apr 2008 21:18 #5608 by jdezom
I don't like the theme as much as I like the zombie theme of LNoE, but I'm still excited because I've been having a blast playing that game so far. I just hope it's different enough to warrant a purchase.

More
30 Apr 2008 21:21 #5609 by metalface13
I didn't mean it was like Buffy in as far as the theme goes, obviously Buffy is modern and A Touch of Evil is period. I meant in terms of gameplay with the Buffy board game. A light romp of running around a board and killing monsters.

It sounds like every player gets to be a hero though, and the bad guys are controlled by the game system. I hope it's that way and not one or more players are the villains, because then gameplay wise it'd kind of be LNOE 2.

LNOE is a pretty good game. I wouldn't call it great, yet, as I've only played three games of it. I do like that it's kind of an adventure game with a competitive edge and it plays quickly.

More
01 May 2008 11:01 #5647 by Michael Barnes
Now you are just talking through your hat. I know you hate "Buffy" as a theme, and doubt that you have ever played the game. If you had you would understand where people are coming from when they compare LNoE to Buffy: The Boardgame, or say Touch of Evil sounds Buffy-like.

How do you know I hate Buffy? ;-)

I haven't played the Buffy board game, I hear it's really good though and I'd give it a shot..I mean, I hate the GAME OF THRONES theme but dig the game...

On the photo art- that's a good point Frank,it does set them apart and it gives them a real brand identity...and I definitely respect that. I just think it's ugly!

BTW, Send me your postal information and I'll be happy to send you any future Flying Frog CDs I receive.

I like the gothic horror theme WAY better than zombies, mainly because I'm kind of zombie'd out right now since they're so mainstream now...I AM LEGEND was kind of like walking into a Hot Topic in 1998 and seeing a Crass shirt. Among other things that have negative connotations.

LNoE just needs some...punch or something...to reach greatness...it feels so safe, so routine...I haven't played with the expansion, the new scenarios look really cool.

More
02 May 2008 09:57 - 02 May 2008 10:02 #5708 by Schweig!
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

Rubbish. I hope FFP stick to with the whole 'photo art' thing - it was a novel idea that sets them apart from the crowd. Aren't you always bitching about a lack of innovation in the industry? Well here it is.
And it better come with a CD. You can send me yours so I have a spare.

No, no, no this photo art thing is absolutely hideous. Give me cartoon art on my AT night and day. I hope this "innovation" isn't picked up by wargame publishers ... or else we might see "real-life people" dressed up in SS uniforms on game covers soon:

(Don't mean to bash MMP here, but I just had to place their logo. I hope they don't put SS soldiers on the box cover of the Up Front reprint.)
Last edit: 02 May 2008 10:02 by Schweig!.

More
02 May 2008 18:37 #5752 by Shellhead
Margie: oh, i do not like these photo art games, no sir!

I will be passing on A Touch of Evil. I am very disappointed that it seems to have nothing to do with the formidable Orson Wells film of the same name, or even the Judas Priest song.

More
03 May 2008 14:21 #5786 by schlupp
As long as it is not modelled after the "Van Helsing" movie, I'll definitely give it a try.

More
04 May 2008 00:50 #5792 by jdezom
I was hoping their next game was going to be about a Martian invasion as hinted at in the back of the LNoE manual. Would be great to see art in the style of the Mars Attacks! trading cards.

More
05 May 2008 19:15 #5851 by Old Dwarf
FFP seems determined to keep my wallet empty,seems like another must
have for me.The period setting just put me over the top,probably
would not have bothered if it was a modern setting.

Well at least it probably won't be till Fall at best & by that time
Kings Port AH expansion will be out(or as its FFG who knows)and paid for
so my wife can pretend she doesn't notice the charge on the card.

By the way I got my copy of Growing Hunger expecting to be outraged
by the Boards and frankly if the outcry had not gone out I would
not have noticed.

More
05 May 2008 20:15 #5853 by Mr Skeletor
Old Dwarf wrote:

FFP seems determined to keep my wallet empty

Considering the rate they release things at, It must be one small wallet!

More
07 May 2008 12:43 #6007 by Old Dwarf
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Old Dwarf wrote:

FFP seems determined to keep my wallet empty

Considering the rate they release things at, It must be one small wallet!

Hey I've been married 40+ years I lucky to even have one!(wallet that is)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds