October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Ameritrash Remakes - Past, Present, Future.

More
26 Apr 2010 08:51 - 26 Apr 2010 09:03 #60861 by Mr. White
Last week brought news of DungeonQuest and Survive remakes coming down the pipe. This caused me to wonder how many true 'classics' are left to be remade. Before we get to which games I consider AT classics worthy of remake, let's revisit games that have seen new versions in the past 10 years, and whether that version is an improvement or not.

The below are the remakes that I've had the opportunity to play.

PAST (games already remade)
Arkham Horror - Never played the original, but not a fan of the FFG version. I also hear the FFG version is way longer and for that I'll go with the original.

Warrior Knights - There are some elements in the new version I really like, but the card combat leaves me cold. I always prefer dice. That said, I'd still prefer a game of the new over the old most days. New

Fury of Dracula - The dracula player's card play is interesting, but not so sure we needed to add another hunter. The FFG game has outstanding production, but why do all the vampires look the same? And where's the szgany? This one is kind of wash for me. Tie

Cosmic Encounter - New easily.

Talisman - I feel like the fate points have really worked out, but prefer the art of the original. The minis scale being all out of whack is disappointing as well. Original.

Space Hulk - Not a fan of the bases on the new models, but otherwise, incredible. New

PRESENT - (games we hear are supposedly in development)
DungeonQuest
Survive
Kings and things
Dune (re-theme)
Borderlands
Wiz-war
BattleCry (would this count?)

FUTURE - (what's left)
ThunderRoad
Wrasslin'
Fortress America
HeroQuest
Siege of the Citadel
Dark Tower
Last edit: 26 Apr 2010 09:03 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2010 08:59 #60862 by flim_flam
Don't forget Warhammer Quest. If GW did a reprint this summer with Space Hulk 3rd Edition quality....

Oh my

More
26 Apr 2010 09:04 #60863 by Aarontu

Talisman - I feel like the fate points have really worked out, but prefer the art of the original. The minis scale being all out of whack is disappointing as well. Original.

But the new expansions totally blow the old ones away, so far (Reaper and Dungeon, anyway). The new cards keep the feeling of craziness that Talisman should have, without making it feel totally broken like 2nd edition did sometimes. The new dungeon is a huge improvement over the old one.

And while Joe Dever's art style is light-hearted and retro, the new art style definitely has a more polished look that I like.

More
26 Apr 2010 09:06 #60864 by Mr. White
Hmmm....I do really like the Reaper expansion. Not such a fan of the Dungeon, as it doesn't feel like it brings anything different than simply another region thus reducing the interaction. Which was also a problem I had with the original game region expansions.

So, the FFG mini-box expansion is neat. The Reaper is great! Ice Queen? Not so much.

A Wash?

More
26 Apr 2010 09:10 #60865 by Matt Thrower
flim_flam wrote:

Don't forget Warhammer Quest. If GW did a reprint this summer with Space Hulk 3rd Edition quality....

Oh my

Oh. Excuse me. I've just come.

More
26 Apr 2010 09:17 #60866 by generalpf
MattDP wrote:

flim_flam wrote:

Oh my

Is that how you Brits say it during sex? How polite.

More
26 Apr 2010 09:40 #60868 by Matt Thrower
generalpf wrote:

MattDP wrote:

flim_flam wrote:

Oh my

Is that how you Brits say it during sex? How polite.

More
26 Apr 2010 10:04 #60870 by Stephen Avery
Warhammer Quest is one of the few games I've nto tracked down. I can't really think of anything else I want that is unavailble. Oh- maybe block Mainia but that is not going to happen.

Steve"I am the Law"Avery

More
26 Apr 2010 10:08 #60871 by NeonPeon
Jack Hooligan wrote:

Arkham Horror - Never played the original, but not a fan of the FFG version. I also hear the FFG version is way longer and for that I'll go with the original.

Wow, I played the original (aka uglified Candyland) once in the early 90s and put it away forever, while I can never wait to play the new one as much as possible. Here's a side-by-side comparison. www.highprogrammer.com/alan/rants/reviews/arkhamhorror.html

More
26 Apr 2010 10:10 - 26 Apr 2010 10:18 #60872 by Mr. White
The problem I see with WHQ, is that even 'back in the day' they couldn't put all the necessary minis in the box. You got a hand full of orks, goblins, skaven, some critters, and a minotaur or two. Enough monsters for the first level or so. Sure, the rulebook had stats for all the other monsters for later levels, but that money sink would be greater than fielding several warhammer armies!

HeroQuest and SpaceHulk have all the minis you need right in the box.

I doubt I'd want to start investing in a modern WHQ...
Last edit: 26 Apr 2010 10:18 by Mr. White.

More
26 Apr 2010 10:59 #60877 by Notahandle
NeonPeon wrote:
" Wow, I played the original (aka uglified Candyland) once in the early 90s and put it away forever, while I can never wait to play the new one as much as possible. Here's a side-by-side comparison. www.highprogrammer.com/alan/rants/reviews/arkhamhorror.html "
Thanks for the comparison link. I still think I'll be sticking with the original.

More
26 Apr 2010 12:09 #60884 by mjl1783

FUTURE - (what's left)
ThunderRoad
Wrasslin'
Fortress America
HeroQuest
Siege of the Citadel
Dark Tower

This definitely wouldn't be my list, though Wrasslin' might be. Fortress America, HeroQuest, and SotC aren't that hard to get second-hand, and it's not like reprints of these wouldn't cost you just as much. Dark Tower is so completely an 80s game in every possible way that bringing it out now makes no sense. ThunderRoad's a fun game, but I have zero interest in seeing it put out by a hobby-centric publisher. The game is a cheap ass mass market thing, and that's how it should stay.

I'd much rather see some of Richard Hamblen's stuff, Tom Wham's better games, a revised version of Gammarauders, Escape from Colditz, Full Metal Planet, Kremlin etc.

The problem I see with WHQ, is that even 'back in the day' they couldn't put all the necessary minis in the box. You got a hand full of orks, goblins, skaven, some critters, and a minotaur or two.

The real problem I see with WHQ is that it's a shitty game. You're better off getting a rondom dungeon generator for the D20 system, like Dungeon Bash. If GW really want to bring back one of their dungeon crawls, they're better off taking Advanced HeroQuest and improving on that instead.

Sure, the rulebook had stats for all the other monsters for later levels, but that money sink would be greater than fielding several warhammer armies!

I don't know about you, but between me and the other guys in my group, we've got about a trillion different minis from just about every kind of setting you can imagine. Orcs are orcs, dwarves are dwarves, dragons are dragons. Just give me the rules and let me use the figures I already have I say.

More
26 Apr 2010 12:10 #60885 by jeb
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone preferring the original ARKHAM HORROR to the new one. I don't think there was a lot of game in that first version.

What about TITAN? Reprint of the year! (2008).

More
26 Apr 2010 12:19 #60887 by mjl1783
The 2008 Titan was the same as the original. The only thing they changed were the components, which were of much better material, but didn't look quite as cool. So it's a wash, really.

More
26 Apr 2010 12:20 #60888 by Schweig!
Reprinting Wrasslin' is incredibly easy. Just create caricatures of nowadays (or past "legendary") wrestlers, e.g. 'The Bull', and rename some of the duplicate moves to accommodate modern holds like the DDT. I'd do it for €2000. (Cheaper than Wallace!)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds