October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Forgive me father for I have sinned... the Count confesses his sins

More
14 May 2008 15:15 - 14 May 2008 15:17 #6411 by Ken B.
Runebound isn't the true faith. It was akin to John the Baptist, in that it foretold the coming of Descent, a game which it would not be fit to lace the sandals of.

I think Runebound is just fine. It's a freakin' adventure game. You take the role of a character with X abilities. You wander the land, leveling up, gaining treasures and artifacts, recruiting allies, and getting into battles with creatures and villains you find in the wilderness. Your goal is to be strong enough to kill The Big Bad and remove his blight from the land.

It's all the good stuff from D&D in a two-hour chunk (with two players.) It has the leveling up and development that everyone bemoaned Descent's not having it (until Road to Legend came out and truly supplanted Runebound.) It's thematic as hell and touches all the fantasy bases.

I was big on SNES RPGs many years ago, and Runebound pretty much plays out just like a console RPG in boardgame form. It feels much more like an adventure than many other similar games.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Last edit: 14 May 2008 15:17 by Ken B..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2008 15:51 #6413 by Aarontu
Count Orlok wrote:

So what is it that I'm missing with this game? I am alone in my sins it seems, but then why should I follow the true faith?

I have never heard anyone refer to runebound as the true faith, mostly because it looks pretty shitty.

I don't know. Maybe TI2 is closer to what you want?

More
14 May 2008 16:54 #6419 by mikelawson
Rliyen wrote:

Ken B. wrote:

THAT'S NOT TRUE...THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Darth Barnes: Search your feelings, you KNOW it to be TRUE!

[Strains of the Imperial March reach their crescendo]

Ken B.: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NAyooooooOOoooOOo!

It's okay, Ken.... I'll need therapy just like you. I LOVE RUNEBOUND! WHEN DARKNESS COMES RULES! MUNCHKIN IS THE PENTULTIMATE SMACK TALKING GAME!!

*IZ TASED*

"Jesus, aren't you Darth Vader yet?"

--Mike L.

More
14 May 2008 17:50 #6421 by Count Orlok
Aarontu wrote:

I don't know. Maybe TI2 is closer to what you want?

I don't know, maybe. From what the other thread described it as, was "more like Axis and Allies" which doesn't sound too appealing to me. After thinking about it a bit, I think the biggest fixes would come from a) more systems, that way more area to spread - hopefully less area to get screwed out of. b) easier activations for fleets - if I want to move my fleets it shouldn't cost quite so much c) less losses for the attacker, and maybe the defender. I always would regret attacking, because I'd lose 80% of my fleet, even if I "won" a battle.

I really wanted to like the game, but something is just... wrong. I don't know. I liked the politics, I liked the concept, I liked the role selections, but it didn't seem to all click together very well.

The worst experience was playing a 6 something hour long game, being neck in neck with another player for the entire game - we end up beating the shit out of each other to try to claim some objective, and then another player cashes in on trade goods to win. Another player who hadn't done any negotiating, fighting or anything. All he did was advance into the systems around him, build fleets for defense, and then scoop up the easy VP as they came. It just didn't seem right, and after six hours, it was pretty insulting.

What does the expansion change about the game?

More
14 May 2008 20:29 - 14 May 2008 20:38 #6424 by Ken B.
Two big fixes that I think did the trick:

1.) A new ISC card that only awards 1 point, and even then only under the right circumstances. It is no longer an auto-choice, and no one can just sit back like you just described and win via taking the ISC over and over.

2.) Artifacts--these go on planets and are essentially "floating" VPs. So long as you hold the planet they're on, you have 1 pt. Bam--a reward for taking (and holding) a particular system with military force.

Also, many new objectives are military-based.

EDIT: Incidentally, you can use these two fixes without buying the expansion. Just play your current 8 with the new text, and use beads for the artifacts and place them as the Shattered Empires rule book instructs (the rulebook is available online.)

Totally try before you buy. And in typical FFG fashion, the best parts are "free" and easily implemented (think ports in A Game of Thrones, or the difficulty mods and corrected Dud text in Doom.)

EDIT 2: Also, a recommendation from me--play with revealed public objectives, and use another bead for a 'timer'. Move the bead every turn and when it hits The End card, you end the game.

This is a suggested variant for the base game, actually...and we used it and I promise that we'll never go back. For one thing, no longer are the point grabs random; no more getting ambushed by "build X techs" or whatever on turn 5 when you haven't even purchased your first additional tech all game. All scoring opportunities are right there in the open from the game start.

HUGE.
Last edit: 14 May 2008 20:38 by Ken B..

More
16 May 2008 02:06 #6463 by PseudoIntellectual
Ken B. wrote:

Look here, let's set this thread straight before it gets out of hand:

Twilight Imperium and Runebound are both seventeen kinds of awesome.

We do not tolerate deviance here. Well, with the exception of Steve Avery.

He is above the law.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds