October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

So finally: Space Hulk

More
21 May 2008 09:32 #6828 by Ska_baron
Well, I had the rare delight to find myself last Saturday with a chunk of free time. Not to be one that spends free time "getting things done" or "attending to business," I wanted to get my gamer on. However, I don't know anyone nearby that games. Damn.

So I send off a geekmail to a random geek in the area whos collection was impressive and had some titles I really wanted to play. I'd geekmailed him before about possibly getting together to play, but it never panned out. He responded that he'd be busy, so once again: Another time. But then, a few hours later he responds back that he CAN make it, and so we agree to meet up at the FLGS (which just recently expanded to hold numerous tables, oh so convenient to game on - though most were filled with a Flames of War qualifier or some such) and he brings Space Hulk and Twilight Struggle.

I'm plesantly surprised that he's not some psycho or socially awkward malcontent. A guy who loves games, has plent of OOP titles, and the willingness to teach! We jump into Space Hulk, because really, I feel like as much as I want to play TS, we'll just about have the rules down and half the game done by the time I have to leave. So we start setting up the first map and he explains the rules to me. So simple! I ended up getting the whole overwatch thing down in 2 turns and was making a great time of it without losing a marine, until the jamming began. First it was the sword guy. He went down. Then, mere spaces away from the objective, he carved up my flamer guy and it was curtains.

Another! Map two had me disperse my forces over the HUGE map (geez, it literally used almost every single tile to build it), but all I had to do was kill 30 genestealers. I had one side of the board locked down with one bolter and the flamer. Never saw action over there. Held the other with the other 2 bolters and swoardman. Swordman died again and the floodgates of genestealers opened up, threatening to overwhelm me. But I had a long corridor for them to make it up past my overwatching bolter. He would only jam after taking out enough genestealers so that none could make it to him. Victory!

Then, I had more time, but not enough for another game of Space Hulk, so he went over the rules for TS so hopefully we can play that sometime soon. Wow. Lots going on there, but I love history and majored in poli sci so I think I can get over it and enjoy the game that's underneath.

All in all, Space Hulk was every bit as good as I thought it would be. And I can't wait to try it out again. It struck me as simpler than I'd thought after just readin the rules, but I think playing the genestealers would help my appreciation for the depth. Also, I cant help but feel like it might to be as replayable as newer games since there's very little that's variable in each mission. Solid game though and it's so clear why it's an AT mainstay. Rolling those dice was like gaming crack. Set me up another line...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2008 09:48 #6830 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:So finally: Space Hulk
Space hulk is one of those games that I get a chuckle at with the AT crowd. The theme is cool granted. But man after playing Space Hulk over and over again I can tell you, it a efficiency game, a puzzle, and a severe one at that. I could play a single scenario 50 times trying to optimize my play to win. Mechanical and programmed, almost abstract in it's flow.

More
21 May 2008 09:54 #6832 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:So finally: Space Hulk
Yeah - that's what I was thinking about. I kinda got that feeling (though I only played 2 scenarios) and wondering how others thought it held up after repeated plays. I think after going through all the maps once, that going back playing the other side would be fun. I played the second edition, but I think playing with a timer might add some good tension too. I just don't know though that it'd hold up to as much play as, say, Nexus Ops.

That being said, in the short term it's an absolutely amazing game and I seriously doubt that it'd be possible for me to play enough in my limited time to ever get old.

More
21 May 2008 12:14 #6846 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:So finally: Space Hulk
Playing with a timer makes all the difference in the world. Why the 2nd edition of the rules did away with one of the best aspects of 1st edition, I'll never know. Whithout it the marine player can over analyze each and every move for the "optimal" play. At that point it does become a puzze/efficiency exercise.

As for Space Hulk's longevity, don't sell it short. There's an art to getting the most out of your marines when you're under the gun. In addition, playing the 'stealers takes a bit a skill as well. When do I reveal my blips? How can I break down the marine kill zone. And not the least of which is learning how to make the marine player brun up his heavy weapon shots. If all this still gets old hat to you then Deathwing adds custom force lists for the marines and campaigns. SH has a lot to offer and it's reputation is well deserved. Welcome to the fold.

-Will

More
21 May 2008 13:07 #6854 by Michael Barnes
Chapel's not off base at all- the tactical positioning, action point budgeting, and limited mobility all add up to a game that is very much a puzzle/efficiency thing. I think there's enough "other stuff" going on that it's still far removed from a typical Euro, but it's not the more free-form "move and shoot" games like DOOM or DESCENT. Or even SPACE CRUSADE.

Playing the Teardown.se PC game (god, it was good while it lasted), I realized that DOOM and DESCENT are _not_ adequate replacements for SPACE HULK. Those are great games, sure, but neither really matches the feeling or gameplay of SH. Setting up Terminators to lay covering fire, flame corridors, or simply to hold down a hallway makes for some of the most tense, nerve wracking gaming I've ever experienced. The fact that the game is way out of balance in favor of the Genestealers makes it feel totally hopeless- yet utterly rewarding when you turn the tide and win. Nothing beats that one Terminator mowing down Genestealer after Genestealer- until his Bolter jams.

The secret movement thing for the Genestealers is one of the most brilliant and hugely thematic mechanics _ever_. You can imagine them seeing the motion sensor stuff in ALIENS and thinking "how do we that that in a game?

I think the game is a masterpiece and it's really a shame that it's not available today- seriously, it's on the same "sheer travesty" level as not being able to walk into a game store and buy DUNE.

More
23 Jun 2008 15:27 #7859 by InfinityMax
Space Hulk is on my very short list of OOP games I mean to get. The list used to include Return of the Heroes and Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel, but I got those, so now I just need Space Hulk. I remember playing the hell out of it many years ago, but it wasn't my copy, and I sure wish I had one now.

More
23 Jun 2008 16:09 #7861 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:So finally: Space Hulk
Siege is at the absolute top of my TO PLAY OOP games list.

*sigh* I just feel like it's unlikely to happen since it seems like a second tier OOP AT game as far as replayability (ie, everyone else played it a million times and burned out on it and so they own it but arent that into playing it again). PROVE ME WRONG SOMEONE.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds