October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Memoir '44 is pissing me off

More
28 May 2008 16:09 #7225 by Gary Sax
Lagduf wrote:

Memoir hates just need to get C&C:A and then let all those still playing Memoir play their game (even if C and C: A is better :D).

Amen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2008 16:34 #7229 by mikoyan
vialiy wrote:

I did not claim it lacked historical or military accuracy. I could live with that. I just feel that most of the action and mechanisms don't make any sense. Why did they split the board in three? Why do units keep their full power when reduced? Why can't you fire back when some mad horde is obviously charging your position? WHY???

And PLEASE don't tell me it's "fog of war", that's bullshit. If this is FoW then drawing for turn order in Pillars of the Earth is also FoW.

Sometimes units would panic when they were being overrun by a horde. I forget where I read it (I think Citizen Soldiers) but there were many times when GIs would come back with full clips in their rifles and their full compliment of ammunition. I think there was the same in the Civil War because there was the spiel in Gettysburg about guys that would just keep loading their rifles. As for the full power, I think I remember somewhere else that it takes quite a bit to actually reduce the effectiveness of a platoon....

More
28 May 2008 17:13 #7232 by vialiy
mikoyan wrote:

vialiy wrote:

I did not claim it lacked historical or military accuracy. I could live with that. I just feel that most of the action and mechanisms don't make any sense. Why did they split the board in three? Why do units keep their full power when reduced? Why can't you fire back when some mad horde is obviously charging your position? WHY???

And PLEASE don't tell me it's "fog of war", that's bullshit. If this is FoW then drawing for turn order in Pillars of the Earth is also FoW.

Sometimes units would panic when they were being overrun by a horde. I forget where I read it (I think Citizen Soldiers) but there were many times when GIs would come back with full clips in their rifles and their full compliment of ammunition. I think there was the same in the Civil War because there was the spiel in Gettysburg about guys that would just keep loading their rifles. As for the full power, I think I remember somewhere else that it takes quite a bit to actually reduce the effectiveness of a platoon....

I know all that, in fact there's been a whole bunch of BGG threads on those kind of plausible stories justifying the mechanisms. But my complaint is not about realism. They could have dealt with opportunity fire easily, but they didn't (they implemented it in Battlelore I presume, I never played it). They could have said that when you have 1-2 steps left in a unit you roll one less die in attack, it wouldn't have made the game more complicated, but they didn't. And in my mind there was no reason not to.

More
28 May 2008 17:19 #7233 by ubarose
mikoyan wrote:

vialiy wrote:

One vet I met told me that he was all gung ho to be a soldier, until the first time he was shot at. He dropped his gun, curled up in a fetal position and cried like a baby. He did that every time he was shot at. He couldn't help it. He claimed that's how he ended up becoming a medic.

More
29 May 2008 05:11 #7247 by Schweig!
I have nothing against chaos or confusion in a wargame. But it should affect both players equally and the winner of a given scenario should be determined by the player who manages to handle the chaos better (by for example having leaders at the right place in the right time). Not by drawing better cards. The same thing peeves me about CC:E by the way.

More
30 May 2008 10:51 #7296 by dan daly

FUBAR or SNAFU

Don't forget their lesser known brother- BOHICA.

Why did they split the board in three?

Well in WWII and today's battles, a commander does divide the battlefield up into sections and assign responsiblity for those sections to different subordinate commands. If platoon A wants to fire into platoon B's zone, they better get on the radio and clear it with platoon B first. Having one big battlefield where everyone runs around shooting whoever, wherever, whenever they want is a recipe for massive fratricide. Modern combat is both highly organized and highly chaotic at the same time.

None of that is an argument that Memoir '44 is somehow realistic. Just making a point that battlefields are divided up into sections in real life.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds