October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game

More
27 Jun 2008 01:16 #7962 by metalface13
FFG has been pretty tight lipped on the upcoming release of the World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game (not to be confused with the BOARD game even though the ADVENTURE game comes with a board, from what I hear the BOARD game does not include adventure), the game is out in Germany and this BGG user has posted up some general mechanics http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/322389

FFG hasn't released many images, previews or specific release dates yet and my bet is that Blizzard is behind it. Blizzard likes to keep things quiet and let out information on its own terms, like for example at the big upcoming hoopla. I'm sure WoW: TAG will be unveiled there like the WoW Minis.

Anyways, I think this game is sounding kinda good. I like the amount of player interaction involved: leaving behind traps for other players, PvP, quests to cooperate or defeat other players (I think some of the quests are like that anyway). And for retailing at only $34.95? That sounds too cheap to pass up at internet prices. This could be a contender against Prophecy as lite adventure game champion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2008 13:45 #7995 by metalface13
More details: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/322540

But apparently nobody cares how awesome this game is sounding

More
29 Jun 2008 19:00 #7998 by Mr Skeletor
I'm avoiding looking at it because I don't want 'spoilers'.

More
29 Jun 2008 22:08 #7999 by Ken B.
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I'm avoiding looking at it because I don't want 'spoilers'.

Oh yeah, skullhead? Well dig this: the Titanic sinks at the end of the film.

BOO-YAH.

On a serious note (or as serious as it gets around here) I am DEFINITELY wanting a copy of this. Fast-playing, nice bits, affordable, a quick adventure game is right up my alley. $40 retail? I'm going to buy a copy as soon as I see one.

More
29 Jun 2008 22:54 #8000 by metalface13
$35 retail I think

More
01 Jul 2008 06:41 - 01 Jul 2008 06:46 #8059 by Matt Thrower
I only picked up on this thanks to Ken's recent front-page rundown of upcoming FFG releases (FFG should be paying us for all the free advertising we do for them). I didn't really register much interest because I have no interest in the franchise.

However, now that I've had a chance to check it out, I'm seriously excited about it. It *could* be the adventure game I've been lusting after for many years with that short play time and quests.

My "ideal" adventure game would have fairly simple rules, some strategic depth and a solo option. I'm still waiting with baited breath on these. I have no idea about the rules complexity so far - hopefully a rulebook will be online soon and I can make an informed choice, although FFG doesn't have a great track record in easy rules. Sadly the player numbers are listed as 2-4, so no solo game, but as a general rule adventure games are fairly easy to modify for solo play so hopefully either I can think of a variant or someone else will. Seems a bit of a shame for the designers at FFG to miss that trick though. The strategic depth thing - too many adventure games are just dice-vs-monsters - is a bit harder to tell from a rulebook, but hopefully things will become clearer in time.

So, everything is hinging on that rulebook. I'm salivating to download and read a copy, but I guess I'll have to wait with everyone else. Damn Blizzard ...
Last edit: 01 Jul 2008 06:46 by Matt Thrower.

More
01 Jul 2008 19:46 #8098 by Mr Skeletor
This thing sounds like it's going to be problematic to solo with all of the interaction quoted on the wizards site.
Is this out yet? How come the germans got it before me? And why the hell hasn't my local store got Kingsport horror yet? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THE WORLD!

More
02 Jul 2008 11:12 #8114 by metalface13
Yeah I don't know if this game will be good for going solo as there seems to be a lot more emphasis on player interaction which sounds like a really good move to differentiate it from other adventure games out there.

More
03 Jul 2008 17:03 #8156 by Matt Thrower
Rules are up:

www.fantasyflightgames.com/wow-adventure...WoW_AG_Rules_web.pdf

I don't have time to read them now - will take a look tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if there is any solo potential there - otherwise I can see Tomb beckoning ...

More
04 Jul 2008 04:39 - 04 Jul 2008 04:49 #8164 by Matt Thrower
Had a chance to look through the rules now. Like most adventure games, the quality of play is going to be heavily dependent on what's actually on the cards but it looks like the framework for a very interesting game is already there.

There's certainly a stack of potential variety, as you'd want and expect from an adventure games and as usual for FFG there's some fairly innovative approaches to solving old problems in the genre (the double-sided, level-tied encounter cards being the most prominent). At the moment I'd question how much strategy there is in the game - my initial assessment suggests it's largely about figuring out when "best" to use certain powers or visit certain spaces. But obviously I haven't seen the gameboard yet and there might be aspects of positional strategy I know nothing about.

As far as solo goes I can see no major reason why this shouldn't play solo - figure out an appropriately challenging turn number limit and try to get your 8VP within that time. The only thing that's going to be missing is placing discovery tokens for other players to trip over, and I don't doubt something could be found to work around that - the obvious (and least interesting) solution would simply be for a player to immediately draw and resolve a discovery token when they hit a space with the appropriate icon, instead of placing it on the board.

I have a horrible suspicion FFG might come up with an "official" solo variant as part of a future expansion ... if anyone from the company would care to confirm that this is true, I'll buy it like a shot :)
Last edit: 04 Jul 2008 04:49 by Matt Thrower.

More
05 Jul 2008 01:02 #8187 by metalface13
I read through the rules today and I think they look pretty stellar. I like the scaled encounters. I like that every encounter gives you an item as the reward if you defeat it. I like how every item can be used as some sort of potion so you don't get bogged down with items you can't use. I like the dropping the discovery tokens (or whatever they're called) around the board as surprises for other players or yourself. I like the ability decks so you always have some sort of skill (though many or discarded after use) unlike in Prophecy where you have to gain experience then get a skill. And I like the variety of quests which also offer reasons for player vs. player combat. It sounds like a pretty streamlined game that actually could be played in under two hours.

Combat is pretty simple, almost as simple as the combat in Talisman/Prophecy but at least it has ranged goes first then melee.

As for solo rules, why bother? There are several adventure games that solo well so why try and take something that offers so much player interaction and try to turn it into a solo game?

More
05 Jul 2008 06:01 #8190 by Mr Skeletor
Love the comments that this game is generating. People bitched and moaned that WoW was far too detailed, had no interaction, too many bits and took too long.

So it seems they made these 'issues' the objectives for the new 'adventure' game.

So of course now people are trying to figure out how to strip the interaction out, and complaining that it "only comes with 4 heroes", the maps not detailed enough, etc etc.

Jesus.

More
05 Jul 2008 08:41 #8193 by benny lava
Based on the rulebook, how does this compare to Runebound?

More
05 Jul 2008 11:00 #8195 by Ken B.
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Love the comments that this game is generating. People bitched and moaned that WoW was far too detailed, had no interaction, too many bits and took too long.

So it seems they made these 'issues' the objectives for the new 'adventure' game.

So of course now people are trying to figure out how to strip the interaction out, and complaining that it "only comes with 4 heroes", the maps not detailed enough, etc etc.

Jesus.

Not me! Ths new WoW game is really going to fill a niche I've wanted for some time...I really love what they're doing with this, this has been low profile but this might be among their best releases of the year. I've read the rulebook, now I'm doubly excited to play it.

I think this pretty much wraps it up, doesn't it?

Multi-player longer adventure: Runebound
Dungeon crawl: Descent
Campaign Dungeon Crawl: Descent + Road to Legend
Quick-playing Adventure Game: WoW

It looks like the same kind of game Prohpecy is but it looks to fix all the stuff that's made me hesitant to buy Prophecy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds