October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Heroscape: Not quite dead yet

More
02 Jul 2008 15:34 - 02 Jul 2008 19:58 #8122 by dan daly
So the other day I was checking out the board game aisle in my local wal-mart as I do on occasion, and I saw something I have not seen in quite awhile: new stuff for Heroscape.

I haven't seen the regular starter set in a store since last Christmas nor any new boosters- usually it's just the Marvel set and the Agents of whoever in their white jumpsuits.

Anyways, there was a complete new wave of figures. Interestingly the cardboard backing of the package was in the color scheme of the Maro starter set. On the downside the originality for units seems to be running low- whereas an earlier wave gave us a set of Minutemen and Werewolves, this new wave gives us a pack with...a different group of minutemen and..um..big wolves. There is a pack with some maro dudes swinging some skulls by the spinal column like a flail which is kind of cool, a set of all wizardy looking figures including a guy on a pegasus which would work well as minis for most rpgs, and a set of leaders which included some more fantasy types and a samurai.

Apparently they're not killing the game off quite yet, although I find it hard to understand the marketing strategy of not having the base game on the store shelf for over 6 months.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2008 19:58 by dan daly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2008 11:31 #8311 by ironcates
it has to do with the switch over from Hasbro to Wizards of the Coast. I think it's dying but WotC seems to say they will support it. I still want more Marvel figs that were due last August but we shall see if they get it out this August.

read more on heroscapers.com

More
08 Jul 2008 13:22 #8321 by dan daly
Yeah, I know Wizards of the Coast has the game now. Despite announcements to the contrary, my opinion is they are deliberatly killing off the game. It competes with too many other Wizards products: D&D minis, Star Wars minis, etc.

More
08 Jul 2008 14:27 #8328 by Ken B.
dan daly wrote:

Yeah, I know Wizards of the Coast has the game now. Despite announcements to the contrary, my opinion is they are deliberatly killing off the game. It competes with too many other Wizards products: D&D minis, Star Wars minis, etc.

Maybe...but the truth is between three Master sets (including Marvel), 8 waves of four-packs of figures, and 5 or 6 "larger" expansions, there's enough Heroscape out there to last a lifetime.

If they're serious about keeping it afloat, they need to get Road to Forgotten Forest and the Castle set back out ASAP. Those are killer items visually and really gets the battlefield-building imagination flowing.

Our Wal-Mart got some Wave 7 in I believe, doesn't sound that exciting but they too went through a long spell where all they had were the Marvel Heroscape sets.

More
08 Jul 2008 15:40 #8334 by dan daly

there's enough heroscape out there to last a lifetime.

Oh I definitely agree. I only have the original base set, all of wave 1, the knights and sabretooth cat riding orc booster, and the volcano set. Not a big collection. Last night I set it all up for the first time in a long while, and just laying out the figures with their cards to draft armies takes up a TON of freaking space. If you had anywhere near all of the released figures, it would be a logisitical nightmare to play- table space, setup, putting things away, storage...

Existing players have what they need and can get what they want via amazon or ebay. It's just not going to draw in any new players unless they get the master set back on the shelf in the store.

More
18 Jul 2008 19:52 #8818 by jpat
There's also the new jungle set, and the new large heroes pack, with more planned or later this year.

Both the castle and forest are at Hasbrotoyshop.com and other places, presumably.

Don't expect to see those stocked in the big box stores anymore; the WotC guy has said those stores don't like 'em.

More
18 Jul 2008 22:45 #8821 by Lagduf
Check your FLGS.

Mine now stocks heroscape, where as prior to heroscape going to WotC the owner didn't stock HS.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds