October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

kingsport or dunwich?

More
05 Jul 2008 23:36 #8209 by iguanaDitty
Having never played with either, and not wanting to get both. Anyone even played Kingsport yet? I keep waiting for impressions from this lot...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2008 02:16 #8212 by Mr Skeletor
Got but haven't played Kingsport yet, but I'd still go Dunwich first.

More
06 Jul 2008 13:08 - 06 Jul 2008 15:02 #8217 by The King in Yellow
Kingsport is far more interesting but adds a larger level of complexity to an already complex game. Dunwich seems to fit seamlessly into the Arkham Horror base game as a whole.
Dunwich adds the madness and injury cards, a definite plus. And keeping track of the Dunwich Horror is very straightforward. Remembering to keep track of the rifts looks like it could turn into quite a headache.
On the other hand the Kingsport board has many more useful locations: a pawn shop, a place to stock up on whiskey and food, a cheap hospital, ect.
I'd go with Dunwich, myself. I always want to add Dunwich to the base game when I play, but I can't see myself always wanting to include the Kingsport board.

Edit: Errr... I forgot about the final battle cards that come with Kingsport. Those are insanely cool, and they do move the ranking up a notch (on my mental scale that only I can see). I'll just put it this way: If you find that Arkham Horror is borderline too complicated as it is, and don't enjoy extra book-keeping, I would go with Dunwich. If you enjoy the extra details and options (and complexity) that Kingsport gives you, purchase it instead.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2008 15:02 by The King in Yellow.

More
06 Jul 2008 16:38 #8225 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:kingsport or dunwich?
Dunwich then Kingsport ´- those injuries and madness add alot.

This weekend, I was desparately trying to get a game of Arkham/Kingsport in, and was toting around the games for a few hours at a convention (not work one, just for fun). I ended up getting a game together, then realized I left all my monsters at home. (the next day friend brought his base game).

Also my character sheets for base Arkham are MIA. did I leave those at your house, Shellhead?

More
06 Jul 2008 19:32 #8227 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:kingsport or dunwich?
A couple of weeks a ago I traded Puerto Rico for Arkham. Last week I was at Canton games and they were unpacking the new shipment of games including Kingsport. Kingsport kept calling to me "Buy me. Buy me." So I bought it. You want to host an Kingsport Horror night Friday July 18th?

More
06 Jul 2008 23:03 #8234 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:kingsport or dunwich?
I agree with the King in Yellow here. Dunwich is an essential expansion and fits in great with the base set. The Madness and Injury cards are almost essential to the game. However, those Epic Battles cards in Kingsport are also almost essential to the game. The problem with Kingsport is that the addition of Rifts to the game is fiddly and really too much to cope with if you have less than four players in the game. Eventually, you really should try to get both Dunwich and Kingsport.

Thaadd, I showed up yesterday at Convergence with my cubic foot of Arkham Horror. We played in the open gaming area near the swimming pool on the first floor, one of the few areas that I could get at without a badge. By the time my friend Chris and I had finished setting up the game, we had two more people sitting down to play. And as more people gathered around, we kept handing out character sheets until we had a full 8-player game with all expansions in play.

It was epic. Glaaki was the Great Old One. As usual, the Doom Factor shot up quickly at first, but we managed to stabilize things at 7. (It takes 12 Doom Factor tokens to bring about final battle with Glaaki.) For more than 2 hours of real time, the Doom Factor hovered around 6 or 7, thanks to our 8th Investigator moving the Doom Factor by one, and another one deploying an Elder Sign. Players came and went, and were quickly replaced by spectators who took over their characters. Todd from FFG even dropped by to say hi and see how the game was going.

In the fifth hour of play, the game started to slip away as a Rift showed up in Dunwich and dumped some monsters before we shut it down. Three monster surges created an even bigger mess in Dunwich, eventually causing the Dunwich Horror to appear. Four Servants of Glaaki showed up, stripping us of many possessions before they were amusingly dispatched by the Manhunt card in the Mythos deck.

Finally, Glaaki arrived, when the Terror Track was already at 7. That meant that we had only 3 or 4 rounds of combat before he would devour us all. One poor guy, the spectator who jumped into the game just one turn before final battle, had only played one game of Arkham Horror before this. His investigator got in one good one-shot attack on the first round, and then was doomed to rolling a single die for the rest of the Final Battle.

But on the third turn of final battle, we got drew a special Glaaki Epic Battle card that allowed the First Player (the poor new guy) to sacrifice himself to reduce the Terror Track by either 1 or 3 points, depending on a die roll. He got a success and bought us three extra turns, and we needed every one of them. The new guy even stuck around to see how it turned out, which was a win for the good guys with one turn to go. In the end, all but that one investigator survived. My PI finished the game with no equipment or spells or anything, except for a sprained ankle, hysteria and xenophobia.

That six-hour game was one of the best boardgame experiences that I've ever had. The whole game was exciting and epic and fun for everybody. And elements of every expansion of the game came into play, enhancing the game. Arkham Horror with all the expansions is the king of boardgames.

More
07 Jul 2008 09:31 #8248 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:kingsport or dunwich?
Bastard.
I was working the movie room all sat night -4pm to midnight.

I had to get up from the Arkham I did actually get set up to go and do that too... luckily there are generally takers.

When I get my Stupid Car Thing (or lack thereof) sorted out, I get to be more social :(

More
07 Jul 2008 18:14 #8276 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:kingsport or dunwich?
Iganaditty go and buy Dunwich. We'll break it out Friday, July 25th.

More
08 Jul 2008 16:25 #8337 by iguanaDitty
but that means i have to put a big gaming order together and buy warrios of god!
(it's the new at cereal from kellogg)

oh ...ok.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.399 seconds