October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Let's talk Titan

More
13 Feb 2012 16:20 #116273 by Mr. White
Let's talk Titan was created by Mr. White
On a whim I just picked up a copy of the AH version. Titan is one of the few AT classics I have never played, so excited to try it out. Any F:ATties till play this or has it been 'replaced' for you?

Any big difference between the AH and Valley Games editions I should be aware of?

Also, I don't mind player elimination, but some don't care for it. Does anyone play Titan to a certain point amount or stop when the first Titan is eliminated and tally points? Basically, any variants to keep all players involved?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Steve Weeks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2012 16:25 #116275 by Steve Weeks
Replied by Steve Weeks on topic Re: Let's talk Titan
Matt Thrower is the real expert on Titan here. I will turn the floor over to him. I own the Avalon Hill version and I have been defeated in online Titan by Matt and Company.

More
13 Feb 2012 16:34 - 13 Feb 2012 16:36 #116278 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Re: Let's talk Titan

Jeff White wrote: Any F:ATties till play this or has it been 'replaced' for you?

There's a pretty regular group playing on ACTS, I believe. In some ways it's actually easier to get this played online than it is in person anymore. I'm not sure I would be willing to play a real-life game with more than 3 players.

Any big difference between the AH and Valley Games editions I should be aware of?

Nope. It was a straight reprint, rules-wise (no FFG-izing), and arguably you did yourself a favor as you won't have Mike Doyle's vomitous art to contend with. The AH version makes quickly identifying creatures a snap. As nice as the thick, rounded counters of the VG edition are, they're actually less usable since all the creatures look basically the same and lack identifying colors.

Also, I don't mind player elimination, but some don't care for it. Does anyone play Titan to a certain point amount or stop when the first Titan is eliminated and tally points? Basically, any variants to keep all players involved?

Section 21 of the rules gives some ideas for shorter versions of the game. I'd be leery of any variants that keep everyone involved, as this defeats the entire point of the game. Stopping after the first Titan is eliminated and tallying points will probably just hand victory to the player who slew that Titan, unless you prevent them scoring the half points for all the remaining legions of the guy that died.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 16:36 by JoelCFC25.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
13 Feb 2012 16:34 #116279 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re: Let's talk Titan
No difference between AH and VG. It is a great game, but you really need to play with player elimination, IMO. Can always come from the brink of death in Titan.

Several of us play on ACTS, consistently.

More
13 Feb 2012 16:45 #116281 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Let's talk Titan

Steve Weeks wrote: Matt Thrower is the real expert on Titan here. I will turn the floor over to him. I own the Avalon Hill version and I have been defeated in online Titan by Matt and Company.

Very kind Steve, but more recently my ass has been owned repeatedly, first by Dr. Mabuse and now by Dair Grant. I'm now officially #3 in the F:AT Titan rankings.

On a whim I just picked up a copy of the AH version. Titan is one of the few AT classics I have never played, so excited to try it out. Any F:ATties till play this or has it been 'replaced' for you?

I still play it regularly as do a number of other F:ATties. I play mostly PBEM which works extremely well - I would still play a face to face game but not with more than 3 players. In my opinion nothing will 'replace' Titan for the foreseeable future: it may be 30 years old, but it remains pretty much unique.

Rules and play wise they are identical. Unlike Joel I prefer the more recent edition - it's strikingly lovely. The silhouette counter art of the original was quirky and interesting though - if you look carefully you'll see that almost all the pieces are unique.

No. Doing what you suggest would render the game pointless: it'd be far too early to determine a meaningful winner. Elimination is an essential aspect of the game for better or worse. You can always play 2-player. Doing so eliminates most of the problems people have with the game, although it's more interesting and more fun with more.

More
13 Feb 2012 17:06 #116286 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Let's talk Titan
Thanks all for the replies.

A few have said they wouldn't play with more than three. Is that simply due to the time? Can a 4 player game be done in 3-5 hours?

More
13 Feb 2012 17:14 #116290 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Let's talk Titan

Jeff White wrote: A few have said they wouldn't play with more than three. Is that simply due to the time? Can a 4 player game be done in 3-5 hours?

Only if all four players are experienced and favour an aggressive play style. Under those conditions it seems plausible but personally I've never seen a 4-player game wrap in less than 6 hours.

More
13 Feb 2012 17:29 #116294 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Let's talk Titan
I am in the HUGE FAN OF TITAN crowd as well. One of the best games ever, in my opinion. And I love the Doyle artwork. "Vomitous"--please.

Player elimination is the only way to play. That is why God invented video games.

More
13 Feb 2012 17:32 #116295 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Re: Let's talk Titan

Jeff White wrote: A few have said they wouldn't play with more than three. Is that simply due to the time? Can a 4 player game be done in 3-5 hours?

The downtime could get pretty excruciating. When players are new, they may take a lot of time evaluating their movement options, either due to the quirky nature of movement itself or because it's easy to forget who has what in which legions. Then you're constantly futzing with your own legions, and probably fighting too many battles (new players understandably take a while to learn how to evaluate which battles are worth fighting and which ones you should just concede without fighting).

More
13 Feb 2012 17:51 #116301 by jeb
The above sentiment is immensely true. I can't think of any other games I own that improve with experience quite like TITAN. Maybe ARKHAM HORROR. Once everyone has the rules down, the game is much MUCH faster. In TITAN, it's not so much the rules, it's the deciding when a fight is worth it. When your group has internalized an understanding of the game with respect to this, everything moves MUCH faster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair

More
14 Feb 2012 06:26 #116393 by mikko_r
Replied by mikko_r on topic Re: Let's talk Titan
I always have wanted to try Titan, and I did study the rules when the reprint came out. I never did get the game though, at the time I didn't have a group for it and teaching the rules seemed a pain not understanding them myself.

If one day you feel like doing newbie friendly pbem I'd like to give it a shot.

More
14 Feb 2012 12:06 #116402 by DukeofChutney
Replied by DukeofChutney on topic Re: Let's talk Titan
Im bidding on an AH edition on ebay atm. If i can land a copy at a reasonable price i might be interested in a PBEM game.

More
14 Feb 2012 13:33 #116404 by jeb
Duke, I don't think even the vendor would mind you playing a PBEM game with us. We've all got copies, and it's a 6p game. I think Dair learned from this crowd and now he's killing us all with mind bullets.

More
14 Feb 2012 13:54 #116408 by Dair
Replied by Dair on topic Re: Let's talk Titan

jeb wrote: Duke, I don't think even the vendor would mind you playing a PBEM game with us. We've all got copies, and it's a 6p game. I think Dair learned from this crowd and now he's killing us all with mind bullets.

Give yourself more credit than that Jeb. I played Titan for the first time in the mid 90s. I have definitely played more in the last year than all those years before combined, thanks to Fatties and the iPad. New players will likely be housed by old players, but that will change with a game or two. After you play and have a feeling for the rules, you can check out the Strategy section on BGG. There are some good discussions there.

It would be tough to learn Titan directly from the rules. I never had to do that, so I don't know how hard it actually is. Mikko, DoC, if you read the rules and want to PBEM, I'll be happy to do a hand-holding game on Acts.

More
14 Feb 2012 13:57 #116409 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Re: Let's talk Titan
This game really intrigues me. I've never had the chance to try it. I'll probably grab the iPad version if it ever gets asynchronous play.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds