October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Any Upcoming Wargame Releases on the F:ATties Radar?

More
07 Apr 2012 07:25 - 08 Apr 2012 13:47 #122089 by KingPut
May 2012 - 1989 This should get some face to face and online playing time this summer.
May 2012 - Virgin Queen My gaming group has started playing quite a few longer multiplayer games this year. Dune, Here I Stand, Wellington and Nappy's War have seen some action so I'm sure we'll be playing this soon.
Fall 2012 - Mr. Madisons War I enjoyed playing this at Prezcon. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to play one more time at WBC before the order comes in this fall.

Future MMP games - Stonewall Jackson's Way 2 and the Warriors of Japan. And Angola.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2012 13:47 by KingPut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2012 13:18 #122099 by Gary Sax
I'll drop the Labyrinth talk as well, good point.

I am interested to see how Navajo Wars is when it comes out. It looked good when I saw it in one of the youtube videos of play... it just looked pretty procedural. Hopefully not too much so, but I think this is always a problem with solo games.

It has a "pass time" mechanic in it which I find intriguing. It's trying to simulate this long period with lots of lulls in it, so there's a way you can sort of hit the pass time button and let a bunch of events happen while you rebuild your resources. I'll be curious to see how it plays, I could see it being useful for a number of other long time type simulations if it works.

More
07 Apr 2012 16:40 - 07 Apr 2012 16:42 #122114 by Sagrilarus
I'm reading the "rules" for Lost Battles right now and I have to admit -- the guy's writing is compelling. This would appear to be the ultimate solo wargame and I'm very much considering just going after it on Vassal. (I should check to see if it's there before declaring that I suppose . . . quick review on the site . . . DAMMIT!)

Not yet published are Lincoln's War and What Price Glory? both of which are meandering their way forward in P500. Likely I won't see either of them this year.

I have a gaming weekend with my buddies at Ocean City where I get to barge a game onto the table and force an opponent or two to play. Wooden Ships & Iron Men would be my selection if it was happening today -- I've only played it solo to date.

S.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2012 16:42 by Sagrilarus.

More
07 Apr 2012 17:50 #122119 by Gary Sax
People on CSW were bitching about Lost Battle's counters. Dunno how much credence there is to that, as people on CSW have had some major problems with Mark's counters even when I didn't have a big problem.

More
07 Apr 2012 19:17 #122130 by Dogmatix

Gary Sax wrote: People on CSW were bitching about Lost Battle's counters. Dunno how much credence there is to that, as people on CSW have had some major problems with Mark's counters even when I didn't have a big problem.

What the fuck are they bitching about now? The lack of NATO symbology? Yea, it's a little hard to read the white name text on the colorful counters but there are a *billion* chits in the box. If they made them any bigger, the extra sheets mean the game would have cost $300 and about $80/box to ship to the US [like Where There is Discord, the game was already in the "cinderblock" weight class]. If they made them black text on plain white counters, no one would have bought the goddamned thing.

And for those who haven't seen it, here's the recent update on MMP's publishing schedule:

At the moment, we believe the non-ASL games will be manufactured/produced in roughly this order...

No Question of Surrender - parts are in house and waiting for collation
Angola - slightly ahead of KoH, card decks due in next week, all other bits at various printers
Kingdom of Heaven - this and Angola could flip flop
The Blitzkrieg Legend
Kawaguchi's Gamble: Edson's Ridge
France '40 (somewhere mixed in above depending on how counters fit)
It Never Snows...
War of the Suns
Special Ops #3 (in time for WBC first week in August)
Stonewall Jackson's Way II
Storm Over Dien Bien Phu
Storm Over Normandy

which cleans us out of many non-ASL items in preorder system.

The Setting Sun will likely be pulled and put in a future Special Ops magazine. We are talking to Adam about this now.

Next up on P# will be The Mighty Endeavor II and Len Millman's ACW tactical level game (which we'll be showing off at WBC towards the end of that week). We hope to get these two on preorder sometime soon.

Probably late Summer we plan on having the next GTS game ready for preorder, tentatively titled The Greatest Day: The British Beaches. If we're really lucky, that might be out by next Winter Offensive. :)

I was prompted to check when I got an email from MMP out of the blue saying I had been charged for something earlier this week. It would seem I'll be getting my copy of No Question of Surrender, a game I really didn't anticipate seeing any time soon, sometime next week....

So, for all my whining about MMP's comms--and it certainly has been legion to date--I'm grateful to see that note pop up. I'm certainly looking forward to the Storm Over games

More
07 Apr 2012 20:24 #122140 by Harkonnen13
I'm more interested in the upcoming MMP games than any near-future releases from GMT. The only GMT game for the near future that I'm even remotely interested in is Red Winter and I'll have to read some reviews after it's out before I make the decision to buy. For MMP, besides INS, Kawaguchi's Gamble, the "Storm Over" games, and Mighty Endeavor II may be worth getting. I'm still taking the wait and see approach though. Besides INS there are no must haves so far.

More
07 Apr 2012 21:13 - 07 Apr 2012 21:13 #122141 by Gary Sax
GMT tends to have a more diverse lineup of themes, which means more preorders from me. But MMP has good stuff up.

You know, the other thing driving this attempt to speed the fuck up is not consumer demand but sticky prices. MMP mentioned on their CSW board that they are getting fucked on charging preorders from 4 years ago at prices quoted 4 years ago. I don't doubt it. So there's just a little more incentive for them to get their shit moving faster when bringing P500 to the masses.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2012 21:13 by Gary Sax.

More
07 Apr 2012 23:44 #122144 by Bulwyf
Sometimes I hate MMP and its seemingly amateurish business practicies. Having said that, when they do publish I ususally like their stuff. I guess it's what you would call a love-hate relationship.

I really hope It Never Snows makes it in time for BGG.Con and if they put the Setting Sun in an issue of Special Ops, that would rock. I was really disappointed that MMP was going to yank it off the p500 as I think the game has legs.

-Will

More
08 Apr 2012 00:59 - 08 Apr 2012 01:01 #122145 by Dogmatix

Gary Sax wrote: You know, the other thing driving this attempt to speed the fuck up is not consumer demand but sticky prices. MMP mentioned on their CSW board that they are getting fucked on charging preorders from 4 years ago at prices quoted 4 years ago. I don't doubt it. So there's just a little more incentive for them to get their shit moving faster when bringing P500 to the masses.

There's a shocker. I don't doubt that games like Where Eagles Dare or War of the Suns would have retail prices in the $250 ballpark were they announced today. I wonder if this means that it's going to be a rich 12 to 18 months for interesting MMP titles as they crush through their backlog and then 2 straight years of nothing but ASL as they try drive their cash cows to market to build up some bankroll.

I'd like to see those tiny print-run Swedish games (3 Crowns? 3DG? I forget the name) make it to MMP's print queue one of these days too. I wonder if those would be quick-turn cash cows if they went with a smaller print run. The original runs were something ridiculous like 250 copies or some such and they've been generally well-received/-reviewed by the few who actually own copies.

BTW, GSax, you're up to pollutify in the Antiquity game...
Last edit: 08 Apr 2012 01:01 by Dogmatix.

More
08 Apr 2012 01:24 #122146 by Sagrilarus

Dogmatix wrote: What the fuck are they bitching about now? The lack of NATO symbology?

Apparently this is hard to read:

Someone at MMP has decided that the economy has turned around and they can sell games. Either that or they hired a second guy at the factory.

MMP sells good stuff. When they print I'm happy.

S.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds