October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2660 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Let's Talk AH Fantasy Wargames

More
24 Jun 2012 21:38 #129154 by Matt Thrower

Michael, stop being silly. If you didn't invent the 'better boardgamer than thou' routine, you did popularize it - that's, in part, how this website got started

No, it didn't. This website got started because I wanted somewhere to post op/ed style pieces that would have been drowned in noise on the BGG forums. That's it. The rest is explained in the Founding of the Fort piece I posted last week.

Anyway, Wolvendancer, I can't pick up fom your posts whether you've played the games Jeff is talking about, but of you have I'd like to know what you think of them. Dragon Pass especially.

Apropos of nothing I was thinking about this the other day and it struck me there were lots of cool ideas in Wizard's Quest that were worth keeping, even though I didn't much care for the design overall. Anyone know of anything similar out there, or a set of house rules to improve things?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2012 01:39 #129171 by a strange aeon

MattDP wrote:
Apropos of nothing I was thinking about this the other day and it struck me there were lots of cool ideas in Wizard's Quest that were worth keeping, even though I didn't much care for the design overall. Anyone know of anything similar out there, or a set of house rules to improve things?

Isn't the orc thing in Wizard's Quest basically the Pandemic/Defenders of the Realm mechanic? So many build up, then they pop and spread to adjacent areas.

That's the main mechanic I remember--what were you thinking about specifically?

More
25 Jun 2012 03:21 #129179 by Space Ghost

MattDP wrote: Apropos of nothing I was thinking about this the other day and it struck me there were lots of cool ideas in Wizard's Quest that were worth keeping, even though I didn't much care for the design overall. Anyone know of anything similar out there, or a set of house rules to improve things?

Matt - I was going to submit a review of Wizard's Quest discussing some of this on Tuesday. It is a game that holds a near and dear place in my heart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Jun 2012 13:11 #129207 by Matt Thrower

a strange aeon wrote: That's the main mechanic I remember--what were you thinking about specifically?

Oh I hate the orcs. Too much overhead. I was more thinking the starting positions where players get to position their opponents treasures, immediately facing the conundrum of whether to defend the treasures themselves or make other, possibly unreliable, players do the work. Also I recall the positioning of the sorcerer and the hero was a similar double edged sword but I don't remember the details.

More
25 Jun 2012 21:22 - 25 Jun 2012 21:27 #129279 by wolvendancer

MattDP wrote: Anyway, Wolvendancer, I can't pick up fom your posts whether you've played the games Jeff is talking about, but of you have I'd like to know what you think of them. Dragon Pass especially.

Thought I'd addressed that pretty straightforwardly:

wolvendancer wrote: Now, to the point: I've never tried Elric, but mean to. Dragon Pass is an excellent game, and I still play it a few times a year. The 'gotcha' moments that happen always seem to grow organically from gameplay, at least when you and your opponent have a basic knowledge of the game, and it's tactical enough that it rewards clever play and situational awareness. I'd encourage you to give it a go.

Your point about the founding of F:AT is well-taken but not exactly what I was referring to; MB's march to his inevitable banning on BGG certainly raised the AT vs. Euro Grand Melee to popular awareness, and that was, as far as I noticed, when this website really took off. If you disagree, that's fine, and I could be wrong. It was a poorly worded off-handed comment, and not even an important one at that.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2012 21:27 by wolvendancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63

More
05 Jul 2012 13:04 #130002 by Mr. White

Space Ghost wrote:

MattDP wrote: Apropos of nothing I was thinking about this the other day and it struck me there were lots of cool ideas in Wizard's Quest that were worth keeping, even though I didn't much care for the design overall. Anyone know of anything similar out there, or a set of house rules to improve things?

Matt - I was going to submit a review of Wizard's Quest discussing some of this on Tuesday. It is a game that holds a near and dear place in my heart.

Is this review still forthcoming? I'd love to read it.

More
05 Jul 2012 13:53 #130003 by Space Ghost
Yeah; our AC went out and have had to deal with that
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
05 Jul 2012 14:58 #130010 by a strange aeon

Space Ghost wrote: Yeah; our AC went out and have had to deal with that

I can't imagine a better way of spending a sticky, hot summer day than writing a review of Wizard's Quest...it sounds like a kind of purgatory.

More
08 Jul 2012 03:20 #130214 by Mr. White
So, looking over ebay I see what appears to be two different game boxes for Wizard's Quest.

One has a more detailed castle containing some tall towers and an entry bridge along the left side of the box cover.

The other is a much less detailed castle without tall towers and an entry bridge along the right side of the box cover.

Anyone know what these covers mean? Different printings? Game still the same?

More
08 Jul 2012 03:37 #130216 by allismom3
Don't want to de-rail this thread futher, but... I have a chance to acquire another AH Fantasy wargame- Dragonhunt. Does anyone have thoughts how this games plays? Is it worth playing? ect

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds