October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Completely Fucked Up C&C Stickers

More
28 Aug 2012 02:30 #133476 by Sagrilarus
I've spent the last three nights applying stickers to C&C:Ancients only to come up short on small wood blocks. So I go through the directions and don't see any error, but don't see any clear direction either. I have a butt-ton of stickers and a butt-ton of blocks, and the directions say that there's extras of each. I finally figure out in the subcaptions in the one image in the directions it lists the inventory of the stickers that I should have put on. Apparently the sheets they provide have a shitload of spare stickers for some units but not for all. The first set was exactly correct, and there are "extras" labeled as such. It's the units farther down the page where there are too many.

So now I'm fucked. I either take a week to remove half the stickers and replace, or I overlay them and things look like shit. I'm more than a bit pissed off at GMT for not putting a warning in the directions for this. Now the game looks like one great big piece of extra work that I don't need with the kids going back to school this week. Thanks a lot assholes.

And it was a gift too, so I have to put a good face on it.

S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2012 03:09 #133478 by Sagrilarus
I just contacted GMT for additional blocks. I'm too old for this.

S.

More
28 Aug 2012 03:18 #133479 by daveroswell
Sag:

I know what you mean; unless your forhead is attached to your computer screen that is pemanently set to Consimworld or BGG, you may not have gotten this tidbit:

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/95691/warni...s-match-the-rulebook

Why Mr. Borg or GMT didn't see fit to mention this on the box is beyond me.

More
28 Aug 2012 03:51 #133481 by ubarose
Yikes!

More
28 Aug 2012 04:02 #133482 by SleightOfHand12

Sagrilarus wrote: Now the game looks like one great big piece of extra work that I don't need with the kids going back to school this week. Thanks a lot assholes.

Part and parcel of the hobby, sir. If you've been gaming this long and haven't run into some production error that makes you want to kill everyone and then yourself, you're doing it wrong.

More
28 Aug 2012 06:03 #133486 by jeb
I hate this hobby sometimes. There is so much time and energy committed by these companies to produce these goods, but they always end up with some little slapdash tidbit to piss you off.

More
28 Aug 2012 06:20 #133487 by Dogmatix

daveroswell wrote: Sag:

I know what you mean; unless your forhead is attached to your computer screen that is pemanently set to Consimworld or BGG, you may not have gotten this tidbit:

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/95691/warni...s-match-the-rulebook

Why Mr. Borg or GMT didn't see fit to mention this on the box is beyond me.

Because the extra stickers are marked by a big ol' "SPARES" tag right there on every sticker sheet, so putting it on the box makes it redundant. Later editions/volumes in the series even have lines marking out what what goes where.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZMeston

More
28 Aug 2012 10:54 - 28 Aug 2012 12:34 #133491 by Sagrilarus

Dogmatix wrote: Because the extra stickers are marked by a big ol' "SPARES" tag right there on every sticker sheet, so putting it on the box makes it redundant.

Sorry bud -- I didn't use the ones marked Spares. There's extras beyond those, clearly marked as units like all the others. There's also text in the instructions indicating that there are spare blocks and stickers included in the package.

I even suspected when I saw five sheets but only three sheet numbers. Two copies of two of the sheets. So I counted the first sets and they matched, but apparently those were the ones that they needed two sheets for. I needed to do an accounting of all the different kinds of units in advance and kept count of each as I went.

So in the third printing they are still going with duplicate sheets to save on printing costs, but providing an avenue for error to occur. It's my fault, but it sure could have been much clearer. The "assembly" instructions leave a lot to be desired. In the third printing.

It's one more job where I have to take a full accounting of all the details and dry-run before proceeding. GMT's reputation is such that I leaped to the conclusion that they had done it for me, especially in the third printing.

S.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2012 12:34 by Sagrilarus.

More
28 Aug 2012 13:48 #133503 by jpat
GMT's also the company that continues to call the game "Command & Colors" in the header of the third edition living rulebook, though.

I knew this was an issue, so I looked to the rulebook for the inventory, but I can sympathize. I know it would annoy me no end having done it wrong. Try contacting GMT for ideas.

More
28 Aug 2012 16:59 #133510 by Dogmatix

Sagrilarus wrote:

Dogmatix wrote: Because the extra stickers are marked by a big ol' "SPARES" tag right there on every sticker sheet, so putting it on the box makes it redundant.

Sorry bud -- I didn't use the ones marked Spares. There's extras beyond those, clearly marked as units like all the others. There's also text in the instructions indicating that there are spare blocks and stickers included in the package.

I even suspected when I saw five sheets but only three sheet numbers. Two copies of two of the sheets. So I counted the first sets and they matched, but apparently those were the ones that they needed two sheets for. I needed to do an accounting of all the different kinds of units in advance and kept count of each as I went.

So in the third printing they are still going with duplicate sheets to save on printing costs, but providing an avenue for error to occur. It's my fault, but it sure could have been much clearer. The "assembly" instructions leave a lot to be desired. In the third printing.

It's one more job where I have to take a full accounting of all the details and dry-run before proceeding. GMT's reputation is such that I leaped to the conclusion that they had done it for me, especially in the third printing.

S.

Fair enough. I realized after reading your response that I *traded* for my copy of the C&C:A base set and the first couple of expansions, and that they were already stickered (something, actually, for which I'd trade at a premium any time). This wasn't a problem with either the Nappy set or the later Ancients expansions that I've had to sticker myself.

More
28 Aug 2012 17:02 #133512 by Mr. White
I've always appreciated that Columbia sends _more_ blocks than stickers in their games. I know that all stickers are used and I get a few extra block leeway if I don't like the cut/paint of some.

More
28 Aug 2012 17:36 #133513 by Sagrilarus
Well to GMT's credit they're sending me additional blocks at no charge in spite of my error and subsequent whining. So at this point I need to get all lovey-dovey and talk about how great a company GMT is.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
29 Aug 2012 12:14 #133523 by SuperflyPete
Allow me to help you out, Sag:

More
30 Aug 2012 22:10 #133611 by Sagrilarus
Fixed. GMT has already delivered additional parts to dig me out of my mistake.

S.

More
04 Sep 2012 00:59 - 04 Sep 2012 00:59 #133752 by Sagrilarus
`

Hahhhhh-llelujah!

Stickering is complete!

"Alright son, it's simple really, just like Memoir '44. The scenario we'll be playing is called Cannae, and as the Romans you're a shoe-in for the win. Note that I am weak here, in my center, and your best strategy is to keep your troops tightly together in a strong central position, not worrying about my flanks. If you can get my middle to retreat you'll have no trouble mopping up what remains. Got it?"

The boy never reads history. I should fare much better in this one.

S.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2012 00:59 by Sagrilarus.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds