October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Up Front is live on Kickstarter

More
17 Nov 2012 21:35 #137896 by Cranberries
I'm going to wait for a physical version to show up, tell myself that I'm going to buy it, then talk myself out of it because I just have funner, better WWII games sitting on the shelf unplayed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2012 22:52 - 17 Nov 2012 22:56 #137898 by Schweig!
Avalon Hill used to sell Desert War with (inside of) copies of Banzai for a while. I bought one of these of German ebay for €65, in shrink actually. That's probably a good deal, but it actually was a rather contested auction.

I still don't get though why someone doesn't just apply the Up Front system to a different setting, say a SciFi one. Up Front is actually quite adaptable, because at its core the system is very abstract. Range, fire power, terrain modifier, etc. are all intangible. Also that way you'd easily avoid any licensing troubles. Moreover, creating a new setting would probably be a more creative endeavour than adding a gazillion interchangeable armies to the game.

I might actually try this and convert just the first scenario. I'd call it Zap Front.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2012 22:56 by Schweig!.

More
17 Nov 2012 23:02 - 17 Nov 2012 23:06 #137899 by Dogmatix
Yea, that's an outstanding deal Simon. I should have kept a closer look on euroEbay for this one but I had no idea that's how they marketed it in Europe. I actually would be thrilled to buy a shrink copy of Banzai just to upgrade my ratty cards.

As for the game, I suspect just changing the names on the personality cards--which they're clearly already planning on doing--and using new art (which they have to do due to the original art being long lost) will suffice to skirt US copyright laws. Shame because everyone should have experience the horrors of Pvt. Beck under direct fire (I SO want a "Cowering Beck Fan Club" T-shirt.)

I really believe Valley wouldn't do anything when MMP held the rights because, well, MMP held the rights and who could have thought they'd not push the game to market. But once it reverted to Hasbro? Pffft. They've already got notable experience with cutting it fine when it comes to US copyright laws and games. Like their last few releases, this game *exists* in a perfectly playable form right now, so they need a lot of new art but zero playtesting. Hell, there are also already a dozen minor-nation expansions, between VAIPA, Relative Range, and those Italians who did the Folgore "Supermen" set, as well as different environment sets (desert, jungle, urban etc.) that have been published with playtested rules that could be immediately added with nothing but some minor rewriting to the rules to avoid outright plagiarism claims.

I'm also compelled to thank Simon publicly in any thread about Up Front in which he's present for re-teaching me how to play the damn game. For those scared of the rulebook (and it *is* kind of miserable), it really does only take 1 or 2 games to be taught how to play to a competitive (i.e., "not get blown off the field immediately") level. I've only tried adding the AFV rules once so far and found the rulebook particularly obtuse, but there's plenty of game to be had even without tanks.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2012 23:06 by Dogmatix.

More
18 Nov 2012 08:16 #137922 by dragonstout

San Il Defanso wrote: Assuming the game makes it to print, is this one of those "old" games that assumed a lot of time to become familiar with the whole thing? I don't mind that, but almost everyone else I game with does. If my experience with Titan is any indication, this looks like one that I would love and no one else would ever play with me. (Face to face, anyway).

Let me put it this way: Titan has *always* scared me away. Up Front, on the other hand, got a lot of play with a WWII-antipathetic tactical-antipathetic wife. To become familiar with the WHOLE thing? Sure, that'll take a lot of time. But to become familiar with the core stuff? Nah, that'll take maybe 3 plays at max.

And Simon's claims are ridiculous; I sold my not-shrinked Up Front + Banzai for $155, so $100 for the two of those is *clearly* a better deal than eBay.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds