October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Holy Crap -- GMT was DDoS'd.

More
13 Feb 2013 04:12 #144040 by wadenels
I should probably state that I don't think his actions reflect on GMT as a company. There's some history there, sure, and there's even value in the discussion of why he's still affiliated with GMT.

But I still think that GMT is an example of how to do right, as a company, for the company's target market as a whole. My position is that I like how GMT conducts their business, which is all I really expect from a company. In an ideal world GMT will outlast it's current staff and continue to be a shining example of how to support your audience and celebrate your niche.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2013 04:21 #144041 by Stan Leer
ICK. Still Ick

More
13 Feb 2013 05:33 #144046 by SuperflyPete

wadenels wrote:

Stonecutter wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: I know there is some hate about Gene running the place and being a sexual offender and all... could be that had something to do with it?

Wait, what?

He was convicted & did a few years for lewd conduct with a 14-15 year old in his home.

On September 13, 2002 the Hanford (California) Sentinel reported:

"Eldon Gene Billingsley, 42, of Hanford, was sentenced to three years in
state prison Monday after being charged with touching a young girl
inappropriately in January at his home. This is the maximum term, District
Attorney's officials said, for molestation of a child of 14 to 15 years
old." (Sentencing 09-09-02; Department 2; Case #02-4216)

I can't help but combine all the facts in this case: that GMT games' founder was a sex offender, that the site went down due to "denial of service" and that their most famous title is Twilight Struggle.

Whoa.

Did you blokes know that DragonCon's founder is a TWO TIME kiddie diddler?
crimevictimsmediareport.com/?p=4363

A lot of perverts in the game industry. Maybe some of them get into games to be around children. In any event, I'm not in favor of capital punishment, but sex offenders are high on my list of people that should be shot, cheaply, through the eye socket. Something about knowing it's coming, and the last thing they'll see is a look of disgust and disdain.

More
13 Feb 2013 05:36 #144047 by dysjunct
There was some drama a few years ago over one of GMT's competitors trying to edit the GMT Wikipedia page to prominently display Gene's criminal history. Which is lame, but apparently when Gene was convicted, the company promised to sever all ties with him. Then he got out of the big house and is back.

I think that if he paid the price via doing time, then that is all society should ask of him. The idea of permanent ostracism is too much, especially if he hasn't had any issues since. But the company blatantly lying as transparent PR move is not ok.

More
13 Feb 2013 05:53 - 13 Feb 2013 05:53 #144048 by Gary Sax
I guess I came to terms with it and I buy GMT games as I don't consider them reflective of investing money in this one guy, even if he is a (the?) prominent figure. But I would understand if someone else decided differently.

I'm just kind of trying to figure out why the DDoS would happen, I'm grasping at straws.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2013 05:53 by Gary Sax.

More
13 Feb 2013 06:25 - 13 Feb 2013 06:25 #144050 by Schweig!
That issue has been discussed multiple times on BGG and CSW.

Although I have no sympathy with sex offenders, I do believe that their stigmatisation by society is over the top. Jail time alone without psychological treatment is probably not sufficient, but it is sad that apparently most people won't even allow sex offenders a chance at rehabilitation into society.

It's quite ridiculous, some people are outraged that a fraction of their gaming dollars might reach the hands of a past and apparently rehabilitated sex offender, but probably all too willingly spend their money on sweat-shop clothes, oil imported from totalitarian regimes, food harvested under slave-like conditions, etc.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2013 06:25 by Schweig!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., bfkiller, wadenels, DukeofChutney, Erik Twice

More
13 Feb 2013 13:44 #144068 by DukeofChutney
We can't even be sure this is the reason behind the DDos attack, although it seems plausible. It is possible that someone has a moralistic objection to the topic of some of their games.

More
13 Feb 2013 14:43 #144079 by Schweig!
It might also just be a hacker who happens to be a GMT gamer - without any further motives.

More
13 Feb 2013 15:09 #144082 by edulis
I am not surprised that someone involved in the gaming industry has a sex offense.

This is probably totally antidotal, but I work as a librarian in a prison and have a small collection of RPGs and by far it is the sex offenders who check them out. There is one group of skinheads (murders and meth mostly) who have a D&D 4th edition campaign going. But other than that it is mostly the sex offenders.

People who get convicted of of sex offenses tend to be white, immature, and have very poor social skills... sounds like most of the people hanging out at my local gamestore.

I agree with dysjunct the guy served his time as was dictated by the courts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
13 Feb 2013 15:47 #144088 by SuperflyPete
I'd love to RPG with tweakers. I'll bet those campaigns last DAYS AND DAYS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds