October 09, 2023
2478 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Robotech RPG Tactics

More
18 Apr 2013 17:45 - 18 Apr 2013 18:26 #150589 by SuperflyPete
www.jrmini.com/shop/jrmini.php?m=product_detail&p=1312

This is a wet dream come true. 1:285 scale, so you can get all the terrain you want for it, for dirt cheap, from JR Miniatures...a whole city block for $7.50.

I am so backing this. 1 day in, 70,000$. This is going to be the next "Reaper" as far as value, IMO. Best part is that it's not even an untested system..it's an extension of the RRPG. The only question is "why are there no rules posted?"

www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robot...ef=recently_launched
Link to the RRPG KS.

Sorry!
Last edit: 18 Apr 2013 18:26 by SuperflyPete. Reason: forgot link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2013 18:27 #150591 by SuperflyPete
Added link.

Ugh.

More
18 Apr 2013 18:57 #150595 by Michael Barnes
As much as I love Robotech...three things kill this for me:

1) Kickstarter
2) Unassembled, unpainted minis (even though they look freaking awesome)
3) Palladium RPG rules, likely with a couple of measurement conversions to make it work as a miniatures game. MDC/SDC and all that. Yuck.

If only FFG were doing this based on the X-Wing mechanics...

More
18 Apr 2013 19:07 #150596 by SuperflyPete
1) I agree, but it's from a great publisher, so it's not AS MUCH a risk.
2) Get over it. That's the cost of non-mediocre models. (Read: Rob Florence Space Hulk Review)
3) You have no idea. Neither do I. This is why I'm not backing it yet.

Until I see the rules, I will assume that it's a half-baked game, and I have X-wing for space battles and numerous great skirmishers for land warfare, so I don't really need this. I'll get it, because I'm weak and a sucker for a pretty model, but I won't be happy about it. ;0)

More
18 Apr 2013 19:08 #150597 by metalface13
Is that the same scale as Epic 40K? Robotech vs. 40K Titans?

More
18 Apr 2013 19:28 - 18 Apr 2013 19:31 #150600 by SuperflyPete
Epic space marines are .25" tall, these are 1" tall Veritech Battloids.

Is a Veritech 4 Marines high?

EDIT: Epic is 5mm, 6.2mm is 1:285. They'll be a bit big (in scale) but I think it's pretty do-able. That makes them .19" tall, so it's 5 marines to a Veritech.

My bet's on the Marines.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2013 19:31 by SuperflyPete.

More
18 Apr 2013 19:58 #150602 by Michael Barnes
1) I actually didn't realize Palladium was still in business. What's next, a TMNT Road Hogs minis game on Kickstarter?

2) That's fine, but I'll take mediocre minis over the time, effort,and money that painting and assembly take- if I were still doing AGF, I'd be able to spend 8-12 hours a day doing nothing but miniatures work.

3) I'm too lazy to go back to the link, but I think it says pretty clearly that it's "based on the Palladium RPG rules" somewhere. The thing is, it would probably work even though I don't like the system. When I was really heavily into the RPG, we actually played more mecha versus mecha battles than any kind of roleplaying with it. It was kind of this weird thing where we'd tool up a couple of Veritechs or whatever and actually DRAW the maps and such. Sometimes, it wasn't even on a map, more or less just this abstract shooting match. Depends on how much time we had a lunch. :-)

More
18 Apr 2013 20:32 #150606 by metalface13

Michael Barnes wrote: 1) I actually didn't realize Palladium was still in business. What's next, a TMNT Road Hogs minis game on Kickstarter?

That could be my first Kickstarter contribution if it were to happen.

More
18 Apr 2013 21:19 #150609 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: 1) I actually didn't realize Palladium was still in business. What's next, a TMNT Road Hogs minis game on Kickstarter?

Maybe hand in your "gaming guru card". Palladium Books has had Rifts stuff since what appears to be the dawn of time.

2) That's fine, but I'll take mediocre minis over the time, effort,and money that painting and assembly take- if I were still doing AGF, I'd be able to spend 8-12 hours a day doing nothing but miniatures work.

Funny, but I think this is a skill issue. I can prep, paint, and base a miniature in an hour. If I do 3 in a night, I could have this entire Battle Cry Set done in under 2 weeks. Seems to me that if X-Wing needed painting, the way you've gone on about it, you'd have been all over it. Let me do the hyperbole, you're not as good at it as you once were, my friend. :)

Also, perhaps if you kept and played games longer than it took to review them and subsequently bargain basement them out, you might find that it's worth the time! LMAO

3) I'm too lazy to go back to the link, but I think it says pretty clearly that it's "based on the Palladium RPG rules" somewhere.

Therein lies my problem as well.

The thing is, it would probably work even though I don't like the system. When I was really heavily into the RPG, we actually played more mecha versus mecha battles than any kind of roleplaying with it.

Wait...a second ago you didn't know that the company still existed and now you were heavily into the RPG? :) Yes, it's been around FOREVER, I know, I'm still ribbing. I agree, though, that the meat of the system is pretty much primarily in the battles. Seems to me that this should be a drop in replacement for the RPG, since it's scenario-based and the RPG is really just a campaign of smaller scenarios with persistent pilots.

It was kind of this weird thing where we'd tool up a couple of Veritechs or whatever and actually DRAW the maps and such. Sometimes, it wasn't even on a map, more or less just this abstract shooting match. Depends on how much time we had a lunch. :-)

HA! That's how it should be. X-Wing is just as good on a kitchen table as it would be on a pro printed, perfectly illustrated "above Yavin" scene.

More
18 Apr 2013 22:40 #150618 by hotseatgames
So why would I want this over the Battletech starter box from a while back? I almost got that last year but instead bought Abaddon from Barnes. And I can't get anyone to play it.

More
19 Apr 2013 00:10 #150621 by ufe
Replied by ufe on topic Re: Robotech RPG Tactics
I was about to say that this would be the first kickstarter I threw down on but I don't know. Awesome looking game but shitty kicksarter. 1starter set is $80. Not a bad deal but no stretch rewards. To qualify for those you have to pay $140, and you don't even get 2 starters for that, just 1 and a few extras. So far the only stretch goal unlocked isn't even a freebie but an add on extra you have to buy.

I mean damn I want to throw money at this but ill wait and see what the stretch goals end up being like.

And X-wings ain't got shit on veritechs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
19 Apr 2013 00:26 #150622 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: Robotech RPG Tactics
I'm sorry, I know the robotech was first. But those are the Warhammer, Rifleman, Phoenix hawk, and Marauder to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, wadenels

More
19 Apr 2013 04:11 #150631 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: Robotech RPG Tactics

Gary Sax wrote: I'm sorry, I know the robotech was first. But those are the Warhammer, Rifleman, Phoenix hawk, and Marauder to me.

Heh, yea, that's so true. I was a Robotech junkie though. Can't decide on this one. I'm less excited about it if the stretch-goals are going to mostly be cost plus-ups. Reaper Bones, it ain't...

More
19 Apr 2013 14:43 #150656 by SuperflyPete
I'm not backing shit until I see how it plays. The underlying mecahanics, the scenarios...all of the things that define it as a game.

I have Reaper shit coming, I have X-Wing, and I have fifty miniatures already needing painting. This is an Autobuy, but only if there's a game behind it.

More
19 Apr 2013 14:53 #150659 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: Robotech RPG Tactics

SuperflyTNT wrote: I'm not backing shit until I see how it plays. The underlying mecahanics, the scenarios...all of the things that define it as a game.

I have Reaper shit coming, I have X-Wing, and I have fifty miniatures already needing painting. This is an Autobuy, but only if there's a game behind it.

Yep. Same here. Now I thought I saw a link somewhere in all the noise that the rules were posted somewhere. I'll have to go hunt that up...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds