October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Robotech RPG Tactics

More
19 Apr 2013 21:07 #150711 by SuperflyPete
1200 meters/285 = 4.2 meters

13 3/4 feet long. And you know someone will do it, too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2013 21:01 #150900 by SuperflyPete
Gameplay video:

More
24 Apr 2013 00:15 #150914 by ufe
Replied by ufe on topic Re: Robotech RPG Tactics
I'm in for $140 so far against my better judgement. Never done kickstarter before but damn it's robotech! About 30 episodes in on netflix and obsesively following this at this point.

MAC II Monster incoming! God damned $40 add on thouh. I'm hopping this gets big enough for them to throw in a free one at some point. $140 is about my limit on this. Getting into warhammer fantasy with a work buddy last year really has increased my tolerence for these prices though. No way in hell I'd spend that on a board game, but a minis game is different for some reason.

Rules seem straight forward enough, but I wasn't expecting anything radical. Interested to hear more about the command pool.

More
24 Apr 2013 01:06 #150915 by SuperflyPete
The dry-erase, the movement, and the rather simple rules kind of killed this for me.

More
24 Apr 2013 01:29 #150917 by Ancient_of_MuMu

ufe wrote: About 30 episodes in on netflix and obsesively following this at this point.

Either stop after episode 36, or jump over the next 24 and restart at 61. If you look at the origin of the series (combining 3 separate unrelated series), you will understand why the middle 3rd can be utter junk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
24 Apr 2013 01:44 - 24 Apr 2013 02:04 #150919 by ufe
What about the movement? Tape measurers? I'll admit they're a bitch but that's mini wargames for ya.

I'm not too dissapointed by the rules depth this seems to have. Seems to be splitting the difference between 40k and what I think BattleTech is like (never actually played it). Your veritechs have more weapon options during battle and can take more hits than Joe Shmoe space marine but there isn't so so much book keeping to hold you back from Fielding the 30-40 minis per side they're calling for. I don't think BT games are that big? When I've looked into BT it seemed like a small skirmish game. I want giant mecha battles, and this seems like it may deliver.

Who knows though, it's kickstarter and the game doesn't seem to be 100% complete, so there's plenty of time for them to screw the pootch.

Oh yeah MuMu this definitely isn't my fisrt time through Robotech. I've seen the Macross saga and the original Japanese version about a dozen times at this point but never seen the other two parts in their entirety just bits and pieces. May power through the southern cross part this time just to say I've seen it.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2013 02:04 by ufe.

More
24 Apr 2013 03:14 #150923 by SuperflyPete
I primarily play wargames, and of them most are template- or ruler- measured, so that's not my concern. It's the basic movement principles he outlines. It's just very simple and doesn't seem like anything new or interesting, especially considering that we're talking about 3D battlespaces since planes are involved.

There doesn't seem to be much differentiation between Battloid/Guardian/Plane modes, or at least enough to feel Robotechy.

I do like that it's simple in the fact that it scales well. I'm more used to 5v5 or thereabouts more than large unit skirmish, but then on the flipside the unit count (1 Battlepod=X units) is such that a 100 v 100 battle would require only 10 miniatures per side (or whatever). It's treated more like hit points - if you have 1 battlepod left in a miniature (which is a group, remember) versus the 10 you started with, the dice seem to do the same damage.

Plus, I'd need to buy 1:285 terrain and paint it. :)

I'm not saying there's no reason to buy it, not at all. If you don't have a bunch of skirmish games already and you like Robotech, it's a great deal. It's simply not for me, that's all. The thing that keeps me from really loving Classic Battletech is the bookeeping, which is why I thought about playing Mechwarrior: Dark Age, but then I realized I hate those damned color-coded wheels.

What I really want is a big robot skirmish, but in "Heroscape" format. I think if you're in the sky as a Veritech Jet and the battlepods are on the ground, you should get an attack and defense bonus. Damage should be fractional, too, so you can take out half a unit and make it less combat effective. Shit like that.

Man, though, they look awesome and I love that 1:285~300 scale because there is so much terrain out there since many large-unit and armor games live in that scale.

Very tempting.

More
24 Apr 2013 06:28 - 24 Apr 2013 06:29 #150927 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: Robotech RPG Tactics

What I really want is a big robot skirmish, but in "Heroscape" format. I think if you're in the sky as a Veritech Jet and the battlepods are on the ground, you should get an attack and defense bonus. Damage should be fractional, too, so you can take out half a unit and make it less combat effective. Shit like that.

What's wrong with Monsterpocalypse (other than it's sort of... dead)?
Last edit: 24 Apr 2013 06:29 by Sevej.

More
24 Apr 2013 16:40 #150952 by ufe
I too wonder if/how they'll deal with things like altitude. Hopefully that stuff is part of the terrain rules they glossed over. Also curious to see the difference between the 3 veritech modes since they only showed guardian in the video and said the fighter can dodge better.

All mini wargames have unit scaling (1mini = x dudes) because nobody in their right mind wants to paint the 200,000 minis required for Fredericksburg. I'm just saying I'd rather play a game with 40 minis per side and and light bookeeping vs the game with 5 minis per side and heavy bookeeping because 40 minis looks more bitchin. And if I'm futzing around with a tape measure, it better look bitchin.

This game certainly isn't rewriting the book on mini games though, so I can see why you wouldn't be too excited by it if you have a dozen other similar games to play and aren't a diehard fan of the IP. Kind of like most people are around here when a new DoaM game shows up.

More
24 Apr 2013 17:08 #150954 by SuperflyPete
I've played (when I got out more) large unit games where in the small scale, the troops would move on a movement tray, and when units died they'd remove one, although one unit was equivalent to 100. In this scale, it's obviously unwieldy to do it like that, but I get what you're saying. What I mean is that if you have 1 unit that represents 10, but 9 of that unit are dead, it appears that the unit has the same command dice value, does the same damage, as if it was a full strength unit.

I just backed Dwarven Forge for 245$ and with Reaper on the way, I'm going to come up with a system I'm thinking of calling "Reaper: The Forge" to combine both. Shit's gonna be sick.

I think if I got into Robotech, I'd probably do something like that too.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds