October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

FFG to Distribute Blue Max

More
21 Nov 2013 02:05 #165669 by Mr. White
So...they kill their relationship with the Nexus/Ares guys, then pick up a chit based game?

www.stratelibri.it/wp/?p=9711

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2013 02:14 #165672 by wadenels
I saw this earlier today and think it's pretty neat. I've been tempted to try Blue Max or Canvas Eagles for quite a while.

How is Blue Max as a game? I'm more interested in the era aerial combat than the historical or simulation aspects of it. Wings of War/Glory didn't quite do it for me.

More
21 Nov 2013 02:39 #165676 by Mr. White
I have no idea how well it plays. I understand that Canvas Eagles is a free version of the same game, but uses minis.

If I were to move away from Wings of Glory (and my group just bought in more) and go chits, I've long decided I'm going with Dawn Patrol. I like the create-a-pilot and rpg elements.

More
21 Nov 2013 02:59 #165678 by Sagrilarus
Stratelibri's decision seems more curious than FFG´s, given their countymen's prior experience. I wonder if a Nexus guy is at Stratelibri now and using his prior phone list.

S.

More
21 Nov 2013 03:52 #165681 by the_jake_1973
Is this a reprint of the old GDW? I always enjoyed the game. There was something satisfying about the chit draw for damage.

More
21 Nov 2013 11:37 #165694 by repoman
I loved that game as a kid. Haven't played it years though.

More
22 Nov 2013 02:50 #165772 by Brewmiester

wadenels wrote: I saw this earlier today and think it's pretty neat. I've been tempted to try Blue Max or Canvas Eagles for quite a while.

How is Blue Max as a game? I'm more interested in the era aerial combat than the historical or simulation aspects of it. Wings of War/Glory didn't quite do it for me.

We always had fun playing it. We used 1/72nd models on telescoping rods and the maps from Battle Masters.

More
22 Nov 2013 03:34 #165774 by Mr. White
We've been using the Battle Master maps for Wings of Glory. Very nice.

More
22 Nov 2013 05:13 #165776 by Dogmatix

Jeff White wrote: We've been using the Battle Master maps for Wings of Glory. Very nice.

I'm such a fucking moron. That thought didn't even cross my mind when I passed on a beat-up set at a thrift store for a few bucks last month. The set didn't have the tower or the cannon and way too many busted horses to be worth the $5...but the map was there and in fine shape.

Damnit. I'm sure I'll come across another one down the road...but damn....

As for Blue Max, in a lot of ways, it's the Ogre/GEV of flight games (although Yaquinto's Wings seems even more streamlined--haven't played it more than once though, so I can't say much). It's fun, relatively easy to pick-up and play at the same ages someone could get into Ogre/GEV or Wooden Ships & Iron Men and, like both those games, it has legs.

It's kind of funny, but it really seems like that, 30 years and 4,000 tons of plastic, cards, and dials later, folks are finally coming to understand that a wargame that required you to do a little book-keeping with a pencil each turn could actually have some depth while also being easy and fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xerxes, Sagrilarus, wadenels

More
22 Nov 2013 16:07 #165798 by Schweig!
While X Wing was certainly inspired by Wings of War, it's hard to make a case for straight game idea theft. (Which isn't illegal anyway, unless protected by a patent.)

Blue Max doesn't really fit into FFG's catalogue, so they may actually be doing the original Wings of War designers a compensatory favour here.

"Hey, FFG, given that you pretty much ripped off our game idea and turned it into a highly popular series, how about you pick up our latest publication for distribution in the USA?" - "OK"

More
22 Nov 2013 17:02 #165804 by Mr. White
I don't think Blue Max is by the same folks as Wings of War/Glory.

More
22 Nov 2013 18:15 #165819 by Sagrilarus

Dogmatix wrote: folks are finally coming to understand that a wargame that required you to do a little book-keeping with a pencil each turn could actually have some depth while also being easy and fun.

Pencils are obsolete, don't go stirring the pot. You need to have all of your possible moves printed on a deck of cards, with additional markers indicating the proper ordering of your execution of those cards. Much more fun than the onerous task of "writing something down".

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
22 Nov 2013 18:22 #165822 by VonTush
My argument against writing stuff down is that:
-If the game doesn't come with pencils, then I feel like I'm houseruling the game by using my own pencils. So I'm not realizing the designers full intent.

-If the game does come with pencils then I have to sleeve them otherwise it decreases the value of the game. Which then leads me to using my own and see above!
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, wadenels

More
23 Nov 2013 00:33 #165841 by Brewmiester

Jeff White wrote: I don't think Blue Max is by the same folks as Wings of War/Glory.

From the website

www.giochiuniti.it/index.php?option=com_...ws&Itemid=70&lang=it

Giochi Uniti Srl is proud to announce the new upcoming release for the game line Stratelibri: the new edition of a classic boardgame, Blue Max, of which it has acquired all international rights.

Blue Max is a multi-player board game of World War I aerial combat over the Western Front during 1917 and 1918. Each player is an Allied or German fighter pilot, and each game allows to relive a dogfight, in which players try to shoot down as many enemy planes as possible without being shot down themselves. The game is played on a hexagonal board, using a maneuver chart from which, every turn, the players decide which move their planes will do. After the planning phase, all the planes are moved simultaneously on the map and all fires are resolved. With intuitive and easy-to-learn rules, Blue Max allows to simulate with sufficient accuracy the WWI air combats, including everything needed to play.

It’s a classic boardgame and first published by Game Designers Workshop (GDW), in 1983 and is named after the prestigious German order Pour le Mérite, informally known as Blue Max. The first Italian edition was published in 1988 and it was the first game published by Stratelibri, followed by a second edition in 1993.

Giochi Uniti Srl is preparing then to retrace the steps of his brand of reference for board games, presenting on the market again on this classic air combat, which many fans have had over the years. The new edition aims to maintain the spirit and the original setting, and making improvements in the mechanical components, but without upsetting those who are the strengths of Blue Max, starting from the format, which will retain the classic shape of the boardgame.

Further details about the publication, the characteristics of the new edition, and release date will be announced in the future. Blue Max will be published in all major languages ​​and distributed in all countries of reference for the board games market.

More
23 Nov 2013 01:05 #165842 by Schweig!

Jeff White wrote: I don't think Blue Max is by the same folks as Wings of War/Glory.

Wow, now I don't know how I came to that conclusion...

What a bunch of nonsense I wrote.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds