October 09, 2023
2493 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2696 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Let's Talk Manoeuvre

More
20 May 2014 15:49 #178514 by Mr. White
Some dude's AAR over at BGG has inspired this.

Manoeuvre is, after Hammer, my favorite light wargame of the past 15-20 years. The 'Birth of America' games are making a run, but they both have a few issues, that have prevented them from being true classics IMO and I haven't played enough Hold the Line games to say they are classics (though I do enjoy it/them)

Anyway, Manoeuvre...

Some say it's an too abstract, but perhaps they haven't played enough to know the theme is built into the nationality decks. Each army has historical strengths and weaknesses. Some say it's too card dependent, but I'd argue not as much as the C&C games that everyone seems to love (I'm not a fan).

Besides being a solid design, there's a lot of enjoyment to be had in the variety of options available. My opponent and I play with the game plenty...If the disparity (ranking) between two armies is fairly large, we'll allow the weaker side to built the terrain (defenders in their homeland), or allow setting up in other spaces besides the two back rows, or maybe even allow a little starting hand deck-building. Anyway, the game never feels like it's broken after any of these slight 'scenario' building modifications.

Also, too, we really dig the 'World Cup of Wargames' vibe as armies from around the world clash on battlefields to determine who is the king of 19th century warfare. There to lies a lot of kicks...building backgrounds on why and how these nations took up arms against one another. Just like that AAR I mentioned:
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1174866/us-versus-ottoman

What is Dearborn doing in the Balkans?! Why, his 1813 capture of York was so successful, instead of a discharge, he was assigned to join up with Old Hickory to protect American trade interests overseas... fun stuff.

Anyway, anyone not really interested in wargames, or just wanting one or two to 'fill a hole in their collection' should give this title a look. Plays in about an hour, has enough components to run 8 player simultaneously, with random terrain building is endlessly replayable, and has an expansion (bringing in the Swedes, Marathas, Tokugawa Shogunate, and the Chinese) due out this fall (finally!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2014 16:43 #178517 by Michael Barnes
It's a good one, but after finally playing Pocket Battles (new Civil War set), I think it's better.

More
20 May 2014 17:07 #178521 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: Let's Talk Manoeuvre
Manoeuvre is a game that I wish I was able to play more. I know I say that with a lot of games, but this is one where I feel genuine sorrow when I see it and pass by it on my shelf. What I really like about Manoeuvre is it's cobbled together feel...A little mixture of an abstract game with light card driven mechanics and historical flavor. And it finds that right balance where it is easy to play, has some tough decisions to make but still maintains the flavor.

I have only played a few times but even with those few times you do get a sense that each nationality is unique and has a different play-style, strengths and weaknesses. It is actually a game that I traded away and then bought again just because I wanted to make sure I had a copy kicking around when the time was right to play.

My only gripe is I wish the tiles were a bit thicker (and didn't warp), but a little bit of plex fixes it right up.

I'm very excited to hear that the expansion armies are going to be printed up...I can't remember if I have that one on pre-order or not, if not I should. What are your thoughts on Fury (?) I think it is called? The fantasy version? Any excitement for that?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
20 May 2014 17:52 #178523 by Michael Barnes
BTW- Miniature Market has this on their Spring Sale, $27.50. That's half price.

More
20 May 2014 20:54 - 20 May 2014 21:01 #178531 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Let's Talk Manoeuvre

VonTush wrote: I'm very excited to hear that the expansion armies are going to be printed up...I can't remember if I have that one on pre-order or not, if not I should. What are your thoughts on Fury (?) I think it is called? The fantasy version? Any excitement for that?

I've cooled on fantasy a lot in recent years. The only types I'm interested in gaming these days are gonzo 70's sword and sorcery or those seasoned with 80's British flavour. That and it looks a little two similar to Manoeuvre and I prefer Manoeuvre's theme by a country mile.

Again, part of the allure of Manoeuvre is the alternative history tales that are spun. I do wish there would be at least one more expansion that at least included Mexicans and Zulus, but Jeff Horgan, the designer, is calling it a day after Distant Lands.
Last edit: 20 May 2014 21:01 by Mr. White.

More
20 May 2014 21:04 #178534 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: Let's Talk Manoeuvre
That's not surprising after the years it's taken to get Distant Lands printed up. Which is a shame because I agree at this point I'd rather see the historical nations rounded out before they branch into fantasy.

More
20 May 2014 23:22 #178545 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Let's Talk Manoeuvre
Me too. No interest in orcs. Or zombies, or great old ones.

I'd buy a new copy and trade my old if they printed a bigger, plusher version of the original.

More
21 May 2014 07:59 #178564 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Let's Talk Manoeuvre
Thinking about Fury on the way into work this morning. I could see one scenario where I would pick it up. I've thought playing GW's Mighty Empires with Manoeuvre would be pretty cool, but would require some work to retheme everything. With Fury, it seems the merger would be a breeze. If I thought I could actually run a Mighty Empire campaign some summer, then I would possibly pick up Fury.

Oh, one other thing on Manoeuvre. The Distant Lands rulebook has two new rules that you can go ahead and start using in your standard Manoeuvre games:

Advance to Contact
On the first turn of the game both sides can move three units instead of just one. On the second turn each side can move two units. And from the third turn on each side moves just one unit per turn. The play of a Supply card will allow additional movement and a Forced March may be used for any of these movements.

Digging In
You may elect to not move a unit on your turn. However, if you do not move a unit, you “lose the initiative” and must discard your entire hand before the end of the movement phase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover, VonTush

More
21 May 2014 10:26 #178572 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Re: Let's Talk Manoeuvre

Michael Barnes wrote: It's a good one, but after finally playing Pocket Battles (new Civil War set), I think it's better.

I have not played ACW yet . In my playings of the ancient ones though, it seemed as though buying your army and deploying it was at least as important and took almost as long as the actual game play itself. Manoeuvre - each pick a nationality, randomly draw four tiles and you're pretty much ready to go , which I prefer . I think Pocket Battles had an opportunity to be a sort of CC Ancients Lite if they had focused more on getting out say multiple expansions of just ancients and not had so much space in between releases . At those price points I think it could have built momentum.

More
21 May 2014 16:06 #178612 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Let's Talk Manoeuvre
Pocket Battles definitely favors particular army builds. I suppose that makes sense, but I think you're right, it's the more important part of the game.

I've been hot on Pocket Battles but I've only been playing a game now and again and haven't gotten the opportunity to really craft an army for it. Now that I'm doing that it's appearing more rigid.

S.

More
22 May 2014 00:57 #178661 by wkover
Replied by wkover on topic Re: Let's Talk Manoeuvre
I'd much rather play Manoeuvre than Pocket Battles, the C&C system, or Hold the Line. So yeah, it's worth the money and fun to play!

I rarely play anymore, though, because - if time is short - we usually bash out a game of Fading Glory or Quebec 1759 instead. Fading Glory, in particular, is a new favorite. The Nap20 system is just plain cool, with its event cards, unusual CRT (using differences rather than ratios), and morale-based win conditions. The idea of using morale as currency is neat.

Anyway, sorry for the sidestep. I certainly look forward to the Manoeuvre expansions/sequels, and every time I play I'm reminded of how much fun it is.

More
22 May 2014 18:54 #178721 by metalface13
Jeff, I've always wanted to play Manoeuvre, we need to play.

On Pocket Battles, I really enjoy it. It's pretty quick and fun and I like the army creation.

More
30 May 2014 00:55 #179296 by BlackGoat
Replied by BlackGoat on topic Re: Let's Talk Manoeuvre
Really loving Fading Glory. Easy to play, easy to teach, games are quick and great decisions.

More
31 May 2014 14:13 #179461 by Cranberries

Sagrilarus wrote: Me too. No interest in orcs. Or zombies, or great old ones.

I'd buy a new copy and trade my old if they printed a bigger, plusher version of the original.

I was under the impression that the later editions had thicker components. I'm re buying this.

More
31 May 2014 17:28 #179468 by gversace
Replied by gversace on topic Re: Let's Talk Manoeuvre
I enjoy Manoeuvre, but I played a prototype of Fury at a con a couple years ago, and I thought it was a large improvement. I could take or leave the fantasy theme, but the various powers made the game more exciting, while retaining the flavor of the original.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds