October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Is there a sensible way to get a copy of OGRE?

More
26 May 2014 15:17 #178916 by bioball
After being beaten out on eBay for two different Deluxe (1987) copies and being jerked around for a copy on BGG (I delivered payment two weeks ago, but he's yet to send the game), is there a way to get a copy? A method that doesn't involve (a) buying a KS copy which few need, (b) piece mealing a board and counters together from the KS edition which is just as expensive, or (c) buying the VHS or 1987 edition for 2x-3x its value on eBay?

I feel like Steve Jackson Games should have produced a revamped 1987 edition with a nicer board, wooden counters, and added GEV as an expansion. OGRE seems to be a wargame that fits most folks needs these days: Easy rule set, easy to play, customization can be done, yet contains strategic depth that allows for repeated play. I think there was a missed opportunity by only offering the KS edition and Pocket OGRE.

SJG claims there is not a market for this game or some such. I think that's BS, I think they are missing out on creating a market.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2014 15:24 #178917 by Black Barney
Find a few users on BGG that have copies, I'd say preferably male but you know they'll all be guys so that's fine.

Make a ghost account with the username Khalessi.

Write private messages to the users saying you're interested in getting a copy of OGRE to play with your girlfriends since you think you're the only girls that enjoy playing this game. Say that you want to post pics of your OGRE-party to BGG and everything.

Upload your tradeables and ask them if they are interested in any of those or if he'd sell you his copy.

Be prepared to beat back the offers that will come your way. When some of the users ask you where you live, answer at your own risk.

More
26 May 2014 15:41 #178918 by bioball
Given all the shit so far, this is a sensible suggestion that will get far better/quicker results.

Maybe even find a lady cosplayer who'll dress up as an OGRE- like folks do Daleks- for the honeypot?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 May 2014 15:43 - 26 May 2014 15:47 #178919 by Black Barney
It would definitely work (it's how I got Barnes to trade away his copy of Blood Bowl. I told him I was hesitant to go to conventions to play competively cuz I look too much like Emma Watson and am scared to get mobbed. He shipped it without even charging me anything, haha what an idiot).

Seriously though, if you get hesitant to do it because of some ethical misgivings, just ask yourself, "where's the victim?"
Last edit: 26 May 2014 15:47 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, BlackGoat

More
26 May 2014 16:43 #178924 by Sagrilarus
Get Battletech instead. Quicker, cheaper, better game. You won't miss OGRE.

S.

More
26 May 2014 17:00 #178925 by bioball
I played a lot of Battletech back in the day. I think the Solaris VII rules are a great for intense 1-on-1 battles. You might be right, I might be making too much of how good OGRE is versus Battletech or X-Wing.

More
26 May 2014 17:24 #178928 by Michael Barnes
I would trade my Ogre Designer's Edition straight up for one of the 80s editions with the larger cardboard counters and mounted board. I'm not kidding.

The DE is one of my biggest purchase regrets ever, even though I only paid like $65 for it. It takes up an entire shelf. It's a PITA to deal with, it's not a quick pick up and play game at this size or with all the component clutter. The production quality and graphic design is shit. Oh sure, it's as good as any other Steve Jackson game released in 1995, just bigger. The cardboard models aren't nearly as cool as you'd think...they don't look nearly as evocative and grim as the original silhouette counters. There is no historical material in the package, not a single lick of Winchell Chung's original artwork, no designer's notes, no material from Space Gamer or the Ogre Book. Just the rules, which are good but they're more or less the same rules as in the old VHS version.

I see it up my shelf and it's like a giant white elephant gift you have no hope of getting rid of unless you take it to Goodwill. Which I have, believe it or not, considered. Because shipping it to somebody would probably cost a fortune and there really doesn't seem to be demand for them. I think too many were made, and lots of sales went to speculators rather than Ogre enthusiasts.

Oh, and Ogre is one of my favorite games. :-/

They do have that $2.95 minigme coming out, but there just is not a halfway point between that and the fucking DE.

More
26 May 2014 17:57 - 26 May 2014 18:01 #178930 by Mr. White
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationA wise man once spoke on the definitive Ogre version to get, and you're after the right one:

fortressat.com/forum/35-mos-eisley-canti...10&start=9130#165924

fortressat.com/forum/35-mos-eisley-canti...10&start=9130#165934

There's a 'buy it now' ebay right now:

(I had an unpunched copy I sold here for a song sometime ago. Lately, I've been wishing I hadn't...)
Last edit: 26 May 2014 18:01 by Mr. White.

More
26 May 2014 18:07 #178931 by Bull Nakano

Michael Barnes wrote: I would trade my Ogre Designer's Edition straight up for one of the 80s editions with the larger cardboard counters and mounted board. I'm not kidding.

The DE is one of my biggest purchase regrets ever, even though I only paid like $65 for it. It takes up an entire shelf. It's a PITA to deal with, it's not a quick pick up and play game at this size or with all the component clutter. The production quality and graphic design is shit. Oh sure, it's as good as any other Steve Jackson game released in 1995, just bigger. The cardboard models aren't nearly as cool as you'd think...they don't look nearly as evocative and grim as the original silhouette counters. There is no historical material in the package, not a single lick of Winchell Chung's original artwork, no designer's notes, no material from Space Gamer or the Ogre Book. Just the rules, which are good but they're more or less the same rules as in the old VHS version.

I see it up my shelf and it's like a giant white elephant gift you have no hope of getting rid of unless you take it to Goodwill. Which I have, believe it or not, considered. Because shipping it to somebody would probably cost a fortune and there really doesn't seem to be demand for them. I think too many were made, and lots of sales went to speculators rather than Ogre enthusiasts.

Oh, and Ogre is one of my favorite games. :-/

They do have that $2.95 minigme coming out, but there just is not a halfway point between that and the fucking DE.

If I saw this for $20 I'd pass. It's just too big. This isn't a product you mass produce, this is something you make 1000 of so that every person with this abomination on their shelf can think "I'm a lucky bastard" instead of "no one wants that, not even me".
The following user(s) said Thank You: bioball

More
26 May 2014 18:30 - 26 May 2014 18:31 #178932 by bioball
But is even the 1987 edition worth shelling out a direct $65 bucks? I understand the game is a gem, but would everyone here spend that moeny or just buy the $2 pocket version for some occasional fun?

If I can get the sellers at BGG to work with me I might be able to snag a copy for $40. But I'm finding that folks are less than responsive, which I find odd considering they are trying to sell shit.
Last edit: 26 May 2014 18:31 by bioball.

More
26 May 2014 19:05 #178933 by VonTush
It looks like if you're patient you can get the Deluxe Ed for $30 or so.

I gave away my copy of the Deluxe Ed to Nate because I have the KS version and love the absurdity of it. It is a monument and shrine to Steve Jackson in my house.

But I do agree that there is a market for a Mid-range copy of the same, something similar to the treatment Awful Green Things received a few years back.

More
26 May 2014 19:11 #178934 by Gary Sax
Barnes, you gave the perfect extended description of a shelf toad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
26 May 2014 19:53 #178937 by Shellhead

bioball wrote: But is even the 1987 edition worth shelling out a direct $65 bucks? I understand the game is a gem, but would everyone here spend that moeny or just buy the $2 pocket version for some occasional fun?

OGRE isn't a gem, it's merely an object of nostalgia for gamers of a fairly specific age. If I looked hard, I might be able to find my 1st edition pocket game version. But why would I bother? I haven't felt the urge to play OGRE in over 30 years. Played OGRE like three times before realizing that it was a weak game even by 1980 standards. That Kickstarter edition has got to be the Godzilla of shelf toads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
26 May 2014 20:32 #178941 by Sagrilarus
OGRE is a woman that was pretty, then got a 48-inch boob job and now looks like a complete freak. It always was a bit of a one-trick pony. A good trick, but I don't see why people would pick it over something like Battletech or the like where you have much more versatility in ships or bots. When a game cost three bucks it's ok if it can only do one thing well. When it's 30 pounds it damn well should do the dishes.

This is a great game for a friend to own.

S.

More
26 May 2014 22:46 #178946 by Michael Barnes
This inspired me to fish for a trade...Alex wants it, I may swap it for Alhambra!

Plus, he offers his business account for shipping so maybe it'll go for less than $100.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds