October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Interested in wargames - Recommend me one

More
02 Oct 2014 09:51 #188031 by Bull Nakano
Fading Glory plays solo in the way many hex and counter war games do, by simply playing both sides. The cards in it are event cards, not cards in hand.

I just looked and MMP lists Warriors of God as OOP, so maybe put that on the back burner and wait for word on Warriors of Japan once it's released.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rafael Silva

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2014 10:16 #188032 by jpat

Rafael Silva wrote: jpat, I had already looked at Julius Caesar but I think it's 2-players only, the same with Hammer of the Scots, 1775: Rebellion and A House Divided, right? Space Empires 4x I'll look more into it.

Sorry, missed the solo and multiplayer issues. Caesar, Hammer, and similar block games are generally two-player because of the hidden-information/fog-of-war aspect.

More
02 Oct 2014 11:12 #188035 by DukeofChutney
- I’d like a game that I could solo if I didn't find anyone to play with me;

probably best to avoid block games then. You could solo them, but most of the game tension is in the hidden information.

- I’d prefer the game to not have cards with lots of text that the other player can’t see, I can read English just fine, my opponent I’m not so sure;

This might be a red flag to the card driven games like Hannibal Rome vs Carthage.

Fading Glory has been suggested. I'd add +1 to that. It does have cards but one player can read all of them, they are turned over at the start of the turn and resolved so no hidden information. It would solo well and is a good vs game. It is not that complex but will show you most of what war games are about and is a good meter for if you are going to like the genre.

Warriors of God is hard to find.

Stalingrad pocket has large counter stacks (be a bit filley) and could run quite long. If you are not bothered about academic realism the first edition will do fine. The second edition is more historical, and will probably have a cleaner rule set.

In general the SCS titles are worth a look. Pick a topic that interests you. I've only played It Never Snows so i cannot comment in detail. I did own Stalingrad Pocket 2nd ed for a while, but never played it.

If you are considering SCS Mark Simonitch's designs are not that much more involved. Consider The Caucasus Campaign.

House Divided sounds like a good choice too. It is on my to get list. This is probably the simplest of those that have been suggested.

More
02 Oct 2014 11:20 #188036 by ThirstyMan

Rafael Silva wrote: ThirstyMan, thanks for the lesson!

Stalingrad Pocket, I did find some copies in ebay, does it matter if it's 1st or 2nd ed?

Yom Kippur is readily available, I think I'll go with this one although Warriors of God grabbed me more with the hundred years war and simpler map, but I guess this is just because I'm not familiar with these yet.

EDIT: From the SCS series, are Bastogne and Guadalajara any better/worse? I liked the conflict in Guadalajara better and in Bastogne case the fact that you are defending a town from an invansion.

MMP were knocking out 2nd edition Stalingrad Pocket for $10 not so long ago. Go for 2nd Edition, then you don't have to worry about errata. Not tried Bastogne (hate Ardennes conflict as a topic) might try to pick up Guadalajara as I enjoy gaming the SCW and am reading about it right now.

Warriors of God, I personally didn't enjoy as it's over too long a period of time and is highly abstracted. I really wouldn't call it a traditional wargame, it's also super reliant on luck in a big way because the action takes place over decades. It's also above even the strategic level of wargames due to be being that abstracted.

More
02 Oct 2014 13:49 #188037 by Cranberries
10) Caesar's Wars: The Conquest of Gaul, 58-52 BC
9) Corps Command: Totensonntag
8) Napoleon at Waterloo
7) Field Commander: Alexander
6) Zulus on the Ramparts!
5) Battle for Moscow (second edition)
4) Commands & Colors: Ancients and Commands & Colors: Napoleonics
3) Julius Caesar
2) A Victory Denied
1) Fading Glory.

(from the above video)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bull Nakano

More
02 Oct 2014 14:38 - 03 Oct 2014 01:22 #188038 by Calandale

Bull Nakano wrote:
Napoleon at Waterloo: www.alanemrich.com/PGD/Week_03/PGD_NAW_rules.htm

This is one so many of us started on.

It's a great way to see if the hobby holds any interest for you.
The game itself probably won't hold your interest for too long, but it shows some of
the core principles of hex, counter, CRT style games.

And it's free.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2014 01:22 by Calandale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
02 Oct 2014 14:49 - 02 Oct 2014 14:53 #188039 by Hatchling
Check out Nuklear Winter (not sure i got the title right). I haven't tried it, but Dr. Mabuse, who has impeccable taste, digs it. And it plays solo.

Edit: this one:

Last edit: 02 Oct 2014 14:53 by Hatchling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
02 Oct 2014 18:11 #188045 by Colorcrayons
Sekigahara. Youre welcome.

More
02 Oct 2014 21:10 - 02 Oct 2014 21:25 #188050 by Sagrilarus
Wear something low-cut and head over to the Vassal Singles Bar. You may get lucky. We've been trying to get some folks together on Monday and Tuesday nights. Where on the planet are you?

Vassal is the only place you're going to find Warriors of God, and I doubt MMP will reprint. If you see a copy you might want to grab it just in case, and you won't have trouble unloading it if you don't like it.

S.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2014 21:25 by Sagrilarus.

More
02 Oct 2014 21:30 #188052 by Applejack
No one thought to recommend Conflict of Heroes? The rulebook teaches you the game as you play, with later scenarios introducing new rules and units gradually. Yeah there's cards, but they're not text heavy.

I recommend Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! - Operation Barbarossa 1941 (second edition) if you can find it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.501 seconds