October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2693 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Opinions on a few wargames

More
03 Mar 2015 08:34 #198686 by Scott_F
Been considering a couple more games.

Caesar's Gallic War
Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War
Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States

Anyone familiar with these titles? Also open to suggestions on good 2 player games. I prefer non WW1/WW2 games generally.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2015 09:14 - 03 Mar 2015 09:20 #198688 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Opinions on a few wargames
I used to own Hellenes, and currently own Kingdom of Heaven.

Hellenes is a step up in complexity from the Columbia Block games. I definitely enjoyed it, but the area of play tends to be fairly static and I like alittle more maneuver than greece gives you. its been a while since i've played this one, so hard to give specifics.

Kingdom of Heaven is a wierd beast. Its a bit of a step up in complexity from something like Hannibal, but some really cool ideas here. I love the castle seiges and how you can play your Ops cards for seige events. Shadowing is a great rule, and ties into the foraging/attrition rules. Attrition is huge, and shows how limited the armies of the time reallly were in their campaigning dates/options. Shadowing allows a more maneuverable army to 'attach' it self to another army and increase their attrition rate.

Graphic design is pretty piss poor here. since there are a bunch of scenarios spanning 200 years, and many different factions, there are lot of specific counters. for many of the leaders (some with the same name) the only faction designation is a banner that corresponds to a shield on the units. not to hard to differentiate on a big computer screen, PITA on counters. especially when every faction is a variation on the same theme (how many different crosses and moons can there be?)
I love the card artwork...and the text feels right. but it can be awful hard to read.

the rules are passable. they say what they want to, but aren't really clear. same goes with the player aids...some information needs to be on those that isn't.
I enjoy it, but almost inspite of the game? again, seiges is what is kinda new, and really stands out
Last edit: 03 Mar 2015 09:20 by lj1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, wkover, Msample, Scott_F

More
03 Mar 2015 09:17 - 03 Mar 2015 14:08 #198689 by wkover
Replied by wkover on topic Opinions on a few wargames
Huh. After looking at the BGG entry, I've learned that the designer of Caesar's Gallic War is the same guy who designed and is currently Kickstarting Hands in the Sea, the Punic Wars game based on the Few Acres of Snow system.

I've not played Gallic War, but I hear that some things are wonky. I've played Hellenes a few times, and I even co-wrote the unofficial FAQ years ago when I still remembered the rules. I've forgotten the rules by now. Weird story: Craig Besinque sent me an out-of-the-blue email asking me to read over a rules update for Hellenes, and I did so and got my name in the credits.

Anyway, this is what I wrote about Hellenes years ago:

Rating based on two plays of the 413 scenario. Both games had very few field battles. Since we came to appreciate the tremendous defensive benefits of siege warfare, it was all sieges all the time. We also learned to fear the rout, as I saw two Corcyra units + a garrison nearly rout my entire storming 8-block Spartan army - in a single combat round! So much for Pylos being an easy grab.

Sparta was a hoot to play, and I was able to wreak more havoc with Spartan fleets than I had originally thought possible. And never underestimate the power of the Pillage. I do wonder whether Barbarians are little more than Pillage factories, though, especially in the late game.

When it was my turn as Athens, three revolts popped up in high-VP cities on the outskirts of the Athenian empire early in the game, and that was all she wrote. And that was with the half-Tribute rule in effect. I'm not a player who reaches for strategy guides after the first beating, so I look forward to figuring out how to play Athens properly on my own time.

I like a game where I have fun, but I still have no idea what to do after a few plays. For me, that describes Hellenes to a T.

Are you looking for block game recommendations, specifically? And how long of a game are you looking for?

Hellenes isn't necessarily a short game, nor is it a proper introductory game to the block game system. Julius Caesar would be a good place to start if you're brand new to block games, for instance. Or Hammer of the Scots, Richard III, etc.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2015 14:08 by wkover.

More
03 Mar 2015 09:27 #198690 by Scott_F
Replied by Scott_F on topic Opinions on a few wargames
I'm looking at pre WW1 2 player medium or light games yeah. Julius Caesar is on my short list too, forgot to mention that one as well. Block or CDG are what I'm most familiar with and know that I enjoy so far, which doesn't rule out other games. Also going for play time of 4 hours or less realistically.

More
03 Mar 2015 14:06 #198711 by wkover
I personally love Fading Glory and (more generally) the Napoleon 20 system. Grab Fading Glory while it's still in print! Games last 20 - 90 minutes, depending on how badly I screw up and how careless I am with morale.

Fading Glory includes four games in one package, and has awesome GMT production values. Download the latest version of the Nap 20 rules (4th edition) and you're good to go.

More
03 Mar 2015 14:22 - 03 Mar 2015 14:29 #198712 by Sagrilarus
I'd recommend Warriors of God, but given the games you're looking at I fear you may consider it too modern.

S.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2015 14:29 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
03 Mar 2015 14:31 #198713 by Scott_F
Clearly I'm a sucker for maps. My list is growing exponentially and it is really disturbing. Warriors of God looks great; Warriors of Japan looks nice too but whats up with the non-Japanese names on the sample counters? Having a leader named Richard in feudal Japan is just wrong...

Will check out Fading Glory too. The Napoleonic Wars, Wellington, Prussia's Defiant Stand, and Polis all look amazing. And the reviews of Holdfast: Russia make me want to try that one too.

More
03 Mar 2015 15:06 #198714 by scrumpyjack

wkover wrote: I personally love Fading Glory and (more generally) the Napoleon 20 system. Grab Fading Glory while it's still in print! Games last 20 - 90 minutes, depending on how badly I screw up and how careless I am with morale.

Fading Glory includes four games in one package, and has awesome GMT production values. Download the latest version of the Nap 20 rules (4th edition) and you're good to go.

No joke, you inspired me to go buy it right now. I've been on the fence about buying Fading Glory for a while, I love the time period depicted and I've been looking for a shorter wargame. Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

More
03 Mar 2015 15:24 #198715 by Attrition
Richard III and Hammer of the Scots both meet your criteria. The map graphics might not live up to your "sucker for maps" standards though.

Have you looked at Maria? It's better with three players, but it still works with 2 and has, in my opinion, the prettiest game map ever printed (Friedrich is a great game too, but needs more players). The implementation of the playing cards for combat resolution is unorthodox but works well.

What about Sekigahara? It's pretty light, plays quickly, and the production values are great.

I'm sure you're already aware of these, but Napoleon's Triumph and Guns of Gettysburg are stunners. I'm not recommending these since they're way heavier than what you're looking for, but as a fellow map enthusiast I find these to be works of beauty, even if I never get to play them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover, Scott_F

More
03 Mar 2015 15:43 #198718 by Scott_F
Good recommendations on those. I own Maria and like it alot, best three player game. Sekigahara also is one I own and enjoy alot. A friend has Napoleon's Triumph - I haven't played it yet. I'm not much interested in the civil war period; dunno why, just not into it. Wilderness War looks great and am waiting on the reprint later this year by GMT.

More
03 Mar 2015 16:50 #198721 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Opinions on a few wargames
I found Richard III map to be very beautiful.

More
03 Mar 2015 16:58 #198724 by wkover

Scott_F wrote: The Napoleonic Wars, Wellington, Prussia's Defiant Stand, and Polis all look amazing. And the reviews of Holdfast: Russia make me want to try that one too.

I played Wellington last week for the first time. Fun, but very swingy and chaotic based on card draws.

I like Prussia's Defiant Stand, but the rules packaged with the game are TERRIBLE and it tends to go past 4 hours. If you go for it, be sure to download the latest ruleset (and FAQ, if necessary) and you should do OK. I hear the latest rules version shortens the game, even. Players are dealt fewer cards per year, I think.

I thought Holdfast wasn't bad, but I imagine it would get samey after a few plays. Loads of die-rolling in HF, for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott_F

More
03 Mar 2015 16:58 #198725 by Pugnax555
Fading Glory is a beautiful production. It's a shame GMT passed on making more Nappy 20s (understandable though). For anyone just picking it up, pay attention when you're punching. That game can be a pain in the ass to sort if you get the counters all mixed up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

More
03 Mar 2015 17:13 #198730 by wkover

Pugnax555 wrote: Fading Glory is a beautiful production. It's a shame GMT passed on making more Nappy 20s (understandable though). For anyone just picking it up, pay attention when you're punching. That game can be a pain in the ass to sort if you get the counters all mixed up.

Yeah, I put the counters for each scenario in a separate baggie. That helps.

I also stumbled across a photo of myself playing FG a few minutes ago. I'm the guy with the handsome back of the head:

boardgamegeek.com/image/1602742/fading-glory

More
03 Mar 2015 17:16 #198731 by Attrition

wkover wrote: I also stumbled across a photo of myself playing FG a few minutes ago. I'm the guy with the handsome back of the head:

boardgamegeek.com/image/1602742/fading-glory

You look nothing like your avatar. Much more...alive. Suspicious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds