October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Multi-Man Summer Sale July 27th to August 1st

More
17 Jul 2017 10:15 - 26 Jul 2017 09:08 #251245 by Sagrilarus
MMP will run their sale again this year in conjunction with AvalonCon World Boardgaming Championships. A couple of interesting critters in the list, I'm looking at The Kingdom of Heaven for under $50, and I've heard It Never Snows is good. Good prices even if you have to pay shipping.

A Most Dangerous Time [$39]
Angola [$45]
April's Harvest (CWBS) [$18]
ASL Action Pack #6 - A Decade of War [$21]
ASL Action Pack #9 - To The Bridge! [$20]
ASL Action Pack #10 [$12]
ASL Action Pack #11 - 29 Let's Go! [$15]
ASL Journal #11 [$22]
ASL Best of Friends [$7]
Beyond The Rhine (OCS) [$80]
Blood Reef: Tarawa Gamers Guide [$5]
Breakthrough: Cambrai [$24]
Day of Days (SCS) [$72]
Guadalajara (SCS) [$20]
Heights of Courage (SCS) [$24]
It Never Snows (SCS) [$54]
Kawaguchi's Gamble: Edson's Ridge [$24]
King Philip's War [$24]
Korea: The Forgotten War (OCS) [$54]
Last Blitzkrieg (BCS) [$80]
Lincoln's War [$48]
No Question of Surrender (GTS) [$40]
Operations Special Issue #2 [$20]
Out of the Attic 2 (ASL) [$7]
Rock of the Marne (SCS) [$24]
Rivers to the Reich (ASL) [$7]
Salerno (VCS) [$20]
Special Ops #1 [$14]
Special Ops #2 [$14]
Storm Over Dien Bien Phu [$24]
Talavera (NBS) [$12]
The Greatest Day (GTS) [$150]
The Kingdom of Heaven [$48]
The Mighty Endeavor: Expanded Ed. (SCS) [$34]
Tide At Sunrise [$24]
Tunisia II (OCS) [$36]
Turning the Tide (ASL) [$7]
Warriors of God [$28]
Warriors of Japan [$26]

Anyone else have any recommendations from the list?

Update -- Additional games have been added:

A Victory Lost [$27]
ASL Action Pack #12 - Oktoberfest XXX [$12]
Black Wednesday (TCS) [$30]
Champion Hill (CWBS) [$21]
Decision at Elst (ASL) [$48]
In Their Quiet Fields II (CWBS) [$22]
Karelia '44 (SCS) [$31]
Last Chance For Victory (LoB) [$135]
Leros (TCS) [$30]
Panzer Battles (SCS) [$36]
South Mountain (RSS) [$36]
Storm Over Stalingrad [$33]
War of the Suns [$120]
Yom Kippur (ziplock) (SCS) [$15]
Last edit: 26 Jul 2017 09:08 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Dr. Mabuse, ratpfink, Brewmiester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2017 11:17 - 17 Jul 2017 11:18 #251247 by Gary Sax
Thanks, Sag!

Well, the obvious stuff is like the OCS. Hold onto Beyond the Rhine for a couple years, make 150 dollars. I'd buy one of those but I'm shelf limited. I'd like to get into OCS someday and I have no passion for east front.

Angola is really good and SUPER unique but it needs 4. MSample had some posts on it here, and I've played 2-3 times and found it fascinating.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2017 11:18 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ratpfink, Msample

More
17 Jul 2017 11:50 #251252 by ratpfink
I don't have any recommendations but in the goal of adding more unplayed wargames to my shelves I'm interested in a few.

Angola, multiplayer is easier to table than 2 player for me, so I could get this one played with not too much problem. Haven't read up on this one for years but remember being really interested by it.

Area-impulse games. I enjoy the couple of area-impulse games I have, Storm Over Arnhem and Storm Over Stalingrad, so I'd be keen to pick up: Storm Over Dien Bien Phu, Kawaguchi's Gamble: Edison's Ridge and Breakthrough: Cambrai. I had all of those pre-ordered on MMP at one point but after several years and the changeover to the new site I never bothered to keep them up to date.

Warriors of Japan. I liked my few plays of Warriors of God. Really chaotic but simple and fun.

Kingdom of Heaven. Specifically NOT interested in this one because I remember my extreme negative reaction to the rulebook (once it was released.) I found the writing to lack clarity(see the many parentheticals, one per paragraph). So I didn't want to slog through it being pissed off the whole time(See rule 5 about there are better things to do with my time).

More
17 Jul 2017 12:31 #251262 by Msample

Gary Sax wrote: Thanks, Sag!

Well, the obvious stuff is like the OCS. Hold onto Beyond the Rhine for a couple years, make 150 dollars. I'd buy one of those but I'm shelf limited. I'd like to get into OCS someday and I have no passion for east front.

Angola is really good and SUPER unique but it needs 4. MSample had some posts on it here, and I've played 2-3 times and found it fascinating.

Still one of my favorite games. There is an article in the SPECIAL OPS magazine being released at WBC with the play balance provisions we came up with, along with the extra Brigade counter needed. BGG discussion here:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1575010/play-balance-tweaks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse

More
17 Jul 2017 15:51 #251273 by Gary Sax
Nice! Wish it was easier to get just one part of the magazine stuff.

More
17 Jul 2017 16:19 #251275 by Msample
I have not seen the final article, but the balance provisions are what is in the BGG link. The author requested multiple brigade counters be included, even though only one is needed, so owners of the mag could give out spares to friends w/o the mag. We'll find out next week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse

More
17 Jul 2017 17:16 #251280 by Dr. Mabuse
If this turns out, let me put in a dibs on a spare token, please.

More
17 Jul 2017 17:41 #251284 by Erik Twice
I can't recommend A Most Dangerous TIme enough. It's exactly the game people here should like: It's about bold plays but with skill to back it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, Sagrilarus

More
18 Jul 2017 22:07 #251361 by Sagrilarus

Erik Twice wrote: I can't recommend A Most Dangerous TIme enough. It's exactly the game people here should like: It's about bold plays but with skill to back it up.

. . . and it plays more than two. I've looked at it half a dozen times but the killer for me is the four hour play time. For me that likely means five (I spend a fair amount of time filling my glass, a fair amount of time emptying it as well) which means it likely won't finish in an evening. But we do have our annual May Getaway at the beach where my buddies and I put in four straight days. That alone may make it worth picking up at the sale price.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Erik Twice

More
19 Jul 2017 13:44 #251389 by Erik Twice

Sagrilarus wrote: . . . and it plays more than two. I've looked at it half a dozen times but the killer for me is the four hour play time. For me that likely means five (I spend a fair amount of time filling my glass, a fair amount of time emptying it as well) which means it likely won't finish in an evening. But we do have our annual May Getaway at the beach where my buddies and I put in four straight days. That alone may make it worth picking up at the sale price.

It doesn't really play more than two, sadly. You can split the Anti-Nobunaga forces between two players, but it's functionally the same as playing with two. I haven't played the four player game but I'm told it's pretty wonky and more of a small addition by GMT than a real game.

That said, I don't think it should ever run over four hours, even if you play leisurely. I think the three main roadblocks to fast play are the setup time, the poorly-written rulebook and the amount of dice rolls (Dice rolls are inherently slow). Being able to set up in advance will help massively so if you are on the fence I would consider that as a factor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
19 Jul 2017 14:44 #251391 by Msample

Erik Twice wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: . . . and it plays more than two. I've looked at it half a dozen times but the killer for me is the four hour play time. For me that likely means five (I spend a fair amount of time filling my glass, a fair amount of time emptying it as well) which means it likely won't finish in an evening. But we do have our annual May Getaway at the beach where my buddies and I put in four straight days. That alone may make it worth picking up at the sale price.

It doesn't really play more than two, sadly. You can split the Anti-Nobunaga forces between two players, but it's functionally the same as playing with two. I haven't played the four player game but I'm told it's pretty wonky and more of a small addition by GMT than a real game.

That said, I don't think it should ever run over four hours, even if you play leisurely. I think the three main roadblocks to fast play are the setup time, the poorly-written rulebook and the amount of dice rolls (Dice rolls are inherently slow). Being able to set up in advance will help massively so if you are on the fence I would consider that as a factor.

I've only played it twice, but I'd never to think to play it multi player. Seems a contrived/tacked approach, similar to War of the Ring and Star Wars Rebellion. For all of them, while in theory they can handle more than two, the resulting game play is clunkier and slower. Other than perhaps a learning game, 2P is the way to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, Gary Sax, Erik Twice

More
26 Jul 2017 09:08 #251672 by Sagrilarus
Games have been added:

A Victory Lost [$27]
ASL Action Pack #12 - Oktoberfest XXX [$12]
Black Wednesday (TCS) [$30]
Champion Hill (CWBS) [$21]
Decision at Elst (ASL) [$48]
In Their Quiet Fields II (CWBS) [$22]
Karelia '44 (SCS) [$31]
Last Chance For Victory (LoB) [$135]
Leros (TCS) [$30]
Panzer Battles (SCS) [$36]
South Mountain (RSS) [$36]
Storm Over Stalingrad [$33]
War of the Suns [$120]
Yom Kippur (ziplock) (SCS) [$15]

More
28 Jul 2017 13:24 #251792 by ratpfink
I ordered up Angola and Breakthrough: Cambrai. At least I think I did. MMP's system doesn't send an e-mail confirmation apparently...

If anyone is interested in Tide At Sunrise, I have an in-shrink copy that will probably never see the light of day so I'll part with it for much less than MMP wants.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds