October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Normandy, The Beginning of the End

More
16 Nov 2017 14:21 #257754 by DracoIdeas
Get out of the landing craft! Cover yourself, call up your men, take them out of the beach, that´s the idea you can´t stop repeating to yourself. You shake off the sand of your face and take another peek of those bunkers up there in the crest, wondering again how to get out of it. The clock keeps ticking and time flies! The weak beachhead depends on your actions either to consolidate it or to be rejected by the enemy, tossed back to the sea, something that would make the Atlantikwall impregnable.

You have no support; your only option is to look for the faces of the junior officers who are eagerly awaiting for your orders and begging to yourself not to break their confidence making a mistake.

The moment you´ve been waiting so long has arrived:

Lead your troops in combat facing an utter motivated and implacable enemy.

Take your men from the sands of Omaha Beach to the outskirts of Saint-Lò in bloody combats that revive the main events that took place in the Normandy theater.

Achieve the objectives and tasks assigned, and trigger...

The Beginning of the End.

Normandy, The Beginning of the End is the 4th game on the Nico Eskubi & JC Cebrian's War Storm Series.

The previous games (Paths to Hell, La Bataille de France 1940, and A las Barricadas!) were published under Compass Games trademark. Now the serie has moved to Draco Ideas. At this new stage we will try to offer the same or better game components quality.

We can advance you that we are going to land on Kickstarter on January!

We'll keep you informed and give you more details about the new War Storm Series title.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2017 15:25 #257759 by Sagrilarus
When will stores have them in stock please?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
16 Nov 2017 15:32 #257762 by Black Barney
Finally, I'll be able to talk to war vets and tell them i know what it was like
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, DukeofChutney

More
16 Nov 2017 16:52 #257765 by Pat II

Black Barney wrote: Finally, I'll be able to talk to war vets and tell them i know what it was like

You missed out on Call of Duty?

More
16 Nov 2017 16:54 #257766 by Black Barney
Nono, I used to play that but when I told Vets I understood their experience because of Call of Duty, he punched me in the face. I'm thinking that playing a board game with hexes and chits will much more closely resemble what the experience was like and I will finally have common ground with these heroes.

More
16 Nov 2017 18:14 #257770 by boothwah

Black Barney wrote: Nono, I used to play that but when I told Vets I understood their experience because of Call of Duty, he punched me in the face.

To be fair, he punched you because you described spawn camping and poopsocking your way to your rank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Cranberries, Black Barney

More
17 Nov 2017 22:40 #257816 by ThirstyMan
Just for your information, advertising on the Fort is cheap but it isn't free.

My apologies if you have actually paid for a banner advertisement but if you have not, hidden kickstarter ads are not welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, DukeofChutney, Erik Twice

More
29 Nov 2017 12:01 #258341 by DracoIdeas

Sagrilarus wrote: When will stores have them in stock please?

I'm not sure about it. We plan to launch the Kickstarter campaign on January, so perhaps it could be sent to backers and stores after summer. Perhaps, once we launch the campaign, we could give you a more accurate date.

Thanks!

More
29 Nov 2017 12:01 - 03 Dec 2017 05:34 #258342 by DracoIdeas
Greetings friends,

We have decided to start a series of articles in which we will delve into some of the units that take part in Normandy, The Beginning of the End, as well as to describe aspects of the game that you will find in this new installment of the War Storm Series.

The War Storm Series titles recreate combat situations at the tactical level, emphasizing the role of the officers in the battlefield and how their leadership have a real impact in the units´ morale, another key aspect implemented in the game.

Below, you can see a couple of examples depicting two officers, one per side:

Captain Ryman belongs to Company Foxt, an Airborne Infantry unit.

On the other hand, Sargent Stichtenoth is an NCO from Company Anton, an Infantry German unit.

For those familiar with previous titles of the saga, you may notice that we have maintained a common structure and a well-known lay-out for these markers. Let´s review them:

In the top, you may find the national flag and the rank plus the name of the officer, being the latter a detail to merely increase the atmosphere but with no real effect in the game. Notice than even though some of the ranks depicted may not be an officer, for gaming purposes, it will be considered as such, regardless the rank stated on the counter. That is to say, it´s more related to a concept of leadership rather than to stripes.

To the right you may see a lateral strip with a color that will vary depending on the unit type. In the examples above, both officers are taken from Infantry units.

In this strip, you will see a graphic of the rank and immediately below a yellow-colored figure, which represents the officer´s morale value. This value will be his company´s morale too. In subsequent articles, we will provide more details and we will broaden in what circumstances during a battle a morale check must be performed.

Just below the morale value, you may see the officer´s movement factor. In both examples it´s 5 and the type of movement set is by foot.

A portray of the protagonist is also printed along with their Company´s letter. There you can see two values printed, the leadership and command range.

The leadership factor, represented in a yellow-colored circle, it´s a modifier that adds a bonus to all the platoons within the officer´s commands range.

The command range depicts the distance to which the officer is able to effectively communicate to the platoons that are part of his Company. Therefore, in both examples these officers may issue orders up to 2 hexes away. This implies that once you activate an officer, all the platoons that are within range will be automatically active to obey the officer´s orders.

With this we will finish this entry, anticipating that in the following developer log we will go into details about what happens if an officer falls in battle and how this concept it´s implemented in WSS: Normandy the Beginning of the End.

Last edit: 03 Dec 2017 05:34 by DracoIdeas.

More
29 Nov 2017 12:49 - 29 Nov 2017 12:51 #258347 by Sagrilarus

DracoIdeas wrote: Greetings friends,

We have decided to start a series of articles in which we will delve into some of the units that take part in Normandy, The Beginning of the End, as well as to describe aspects of the game that you will find in this new installment of the War Storm Series.

This will be unpopular here. I recommend you purchase a banner ad at an exceptionally reasonable price. If you don't, you'll likely bounce twice as you're thrown out the door.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2017 12:51 by Sagrilarus.

More
29 Nov 2017 12:57 - 29 Nov 2017 12:58 #258348 by DracoIdeas

Sagrilarus wrote:

This will be unpopular here. I recommend you purchase a banner ad at an exceptionally reasonable price. If you don't, you'll likely bounce twice as you're thrown out the door.

In all our before kickstarter campaigns we have purchased advertising campaigns. In this post we are introducing the game system, and giving information about the components and how its works. This is not an announcement or promotion about the kickstarter campaign. In fact there isn't any mention to it in my message.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2017 12:58 by DracoIdeas.

More
29 Nov 2017 13:01 #258350 by Sagrilarus

DracoIdeas wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

In all our before kickstarter campaigns we have purchased advertising campaigns. In this post we are introducing the game system, and giving information about the components and how its works. This is not an announcement or promotion about the kickstarter campaign. In fact there isn't any mention to it in my message.

You've mentioned Kickstarter three times in this thread so far and I never mentioned it once, so . . . your point?

More
29 Nov 2017 13:16 #258351 by DracoIdeas

Sagrilarus wrote:

DracoIdeas wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

You've mentioned Kickstarter three times in this thread so far and I never mentioned it once, so . . . your point?

No in my last message. You have pointed this after that message for that reason I have answered it to you.

More
29 Nov 2017 16:59 #258366 by Pat II
Email me $500 and I'll look after everything Drac no worries.

More
09 Dec 2017 15:47 #258863 by DracoIdeas
Greetings friends,

We are going to describe today one of the most important concepts in the game: Morale.

A soldier, in the clamor of battle, is not that perfect slaughter machine with a total lack of feeling that we often see on movies and videogames.

They are human beings that rely on their mental strength and on their unit´s cohesion to commit dangerous tasks, overcoming their fears in a hostile environment such as a battlefield.

In War Storm Series this reality is implemented by several mechanisms:

First, every Company as a single entity, has its own morale value. This value will have to be checked in situations in where the soldiers have to face frantic moments, such as:

- One of the platoons is eliminated.
- The officer in command falls.
- The Company suffers casualties after an armored assault.

If a unit doesn´t pass this roll check, you will have to deal with a delicate situation on the battlefield: the Company, depending on the level of failure, may withdraw or even might become routed, and thus it will lose the combat effectiveness.

On the other hand, the morale of a platoon it´s equal to its parent company except for the fact that the leadership value of the officer in command may be only added if he is within command range.

When must a platoon do an individual morale check?

Among others, to become active if it´s out of command, i.e., out of its officer´s command range. In this situation, the platoon won´t be activated automatically with its officer and the rest of units that are within command range.

This depicts the tendency of units without a leader of staying under cover and avoiding taking risks.

This way, this allows you to activate during the Activation Phase, both, an officer and all his platoons within his command range and also individual units which may be out of range.

Command Range – the officer has a command range trait of 2. The farthest platoon will be out of command, and therefore it won´t get the officer´s leadership bonus and won´t become active either once the officer is activated.

Other situations in which is required to check a platoon´s morale is, for instance, to initiate an assault or to cross a barbed-wire area. If the check results in a failure, the platoon will finish the turn taking no action.

Obviously, the number of loses during the battle will also affect to the morale, and thus, you will soon learn how critical is every single GI on the battlefield in the War Storm Series.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.740 seconds