October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Please tell me what to think about these euros

More
23 Aug 2011 00:33 - 23 Aug 2011 00:41 #101911 by ptkw

ozjesting wrote: but the only two things I see in this thread that make me sad...YOU think Thunderstone is out due to too much math?!? Seriously???

Let me try to cheer you up, then. I don't think that there's “too much math” in Thunderstone, as I could easily manage having much more math in a game; what I said was “too much math for too little fun”. My problem with Thunderstone was that we found its gameplay very mechanical, consisting mainly of endless reshuffling and counting, and with little presence of the promised dungeon-crawling experience. The math in the game was simplistic, of course, but there was too much of doing math in it and too little of other stuff. I wouldn't call it a bad game, but it was so less engaging to play than anything else I had that no one really asked for it, and I ultimately decided to sell it. I'm not scared of counting and I'm looking forward to whatever counting exercises Wallenstein might provide.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2011 00:41 by ptkw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2011 01:53 #101915 by SaMoKo
RE: Waiting for a good price in the 10th anniversary El Grande,

I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you can get it, sure, why not? But I haven't really had an urge to play with any of the expansions. The expansions are solid in that they add variety for players who want it rather than creating necessary fixes for the game. But a lot of folk just don't see the need to change it up.

If anything, I think the variant that lets players have their own little deck of powers is terrible (caveat, I haven't actually played it). Part of the fun of the base game is the auction for the abilities each round, and that variant would dull some of the interaction.

All this Domaine talk is cool. I might have to try it out, my only experience is a few games of Lowenherz years ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ptkw

More
23 Aug 2011 07:47 #101930 by mads b.
What really intrigues me about Fucking Reef Encounter is that the rules are much easier to understand if you read the little piece of fluff about corals and parrotfish first. Still haven't played it, though.

More
23 Aug 2011 09:57 #101934 by daveroswell
By the way,

PTKW...if you are ever interested in buying Medici, just private message me. I have a shrinkwrapped copy of the Amigo version of the game. That version has the least irritating scoring track in my opinion.

I actually don't mind Elfenland; you may want to check it out.

Also, if you are looking at Kinizia, you might want to try the good yet annoyingly named Ingenious. Nice abstract with unique scoring.

More
23 Aug 2011 11:29 - 23 Aug 2011 11:34 #101936 by ptkw
SaMoKo, thanks for heads-up on the El Grande editions. I should have known better at this point, but I still fall very easily for obvious marketing ploys like “special” or “comprehensive” versions (or the very idea of the expansion, for that matter). In Poland you can buy either the base game in German, or the Decennial edition in English, but at DOUBLE price of the former; the choice seems quite obvious now when I put it this way (and I've read about component quality issues with the Decennial anyway). We don't speak German at all, but I'm hoping for the added joy of shouting German phrases in made-up accents at each other.

daveroswell, I guess I have to try Ra before deciding whether I'm interested in Medici, and I'm afraid that shipping fee would be a killer - but I'll keep your kind offer in mind.

The problem with Ingenious (which in Poland is known, even more annoyingly, as Genius) is that it's a straight-up abstract, and that's something my group tends to run away from. If it had even the most blatantly pasted-on theme, they wouldn't mind at all. That's how my friends' twisted minds work and I can do nothing about it.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2011 11:34 by ptkw.

More
23 Aug 2011 11:56 #101937 by Matt Thrower

ptkw wrote: I guess I have to try Ra before deciding whether I'm interested in Medici, and I'm afraid that shipping fee would be a killer - but I'll keep your kind offer in mind.

Ra is on BrettSpielWelt.

There's also a free windows version with AI:
www.dillgroup.ucsf.edu/~grocklin/ra.zip

And for a small fee you can enjoy a clunky but faithful iOS implementation as well.

More
23 Aug 2011 15:30 #101978 by Ska_baron
Also you can try Wallenstein (a 10 in my book - that game rocks) and Tikal (great fun online, think it'd crash and burn in person due to over thinkers) on Spielbyweb!

There's even a Fattie game of Wallenstein going on now...

More
23 Aug 2011 21:57 #102020 by Notahandle
Since Michael's pushing Acquire so hard, I have to throw in a twist: Shark.

More
23 Aug 2011 22:24 #102022 by Dogmatix

ptkw wrote:

ozjesting wrote: but the only two things I see in this thread that make me sad...YOU think Thunderstone is out due to too much math?!? Seriously???

Let me try to cheer you up, then. I don't think that there's “too much math” in Thunderstone, as I could easily manage having much more math in a game; what I said was “too much math for too little fun”. My problem with Thunderstone was that we found its gameplay very mechanical, consisting mainly of endless reshuffling and counting, and with little presence of the promised dungeon-crawling experience. The math in the game was simplistic, of course, but there was too much of doing math in it and too little of other stuff. I wouldn't call it a bad game, but it was so less engaging to play than anything else I had that no one really asked for it, and I ultimately decided to sell it. I'm not scared of counting and I'm looking forward to whatever counting exercises Wallenstein might provide.

The way you describe Thunderstone is precisely how I feel about almost all the initial batch of deckbuilding games. I felt like it was ultimately a weird sort of efficiency engine game to which I could find no personal connection at all. It's an odd duck that I wouldn't turn down playing but never, ever suggest.

And, I'm going to stand up and be the lone guy who enjoys Samurai. I wanted 1 Knizia math game...and that one worked for me. It helped a lot that I came to it via the ancient PC game edition [do a quick search online and you'll find both the game itself in any number of abandonware sites as well as a full unlock code for it]. ALL of knizia's games are better in digital form because they eliminate the headache-inducing scoring. Plus, since 90% of his games seem to be boiled down to an arcane bit of algebra at their heart, competitive AI opponents can be modeled pretty well.

(And I wish I'd known about that fattie game of Wallenstein. I can NEVER get a Euro group together here and I've been dying to play that fucking game for 2 years.)

More
23 Aug 2011 23:18 #102026 by Michael Barnes
Shark is fucking great. It's definitely an Acquire descendent but with die rolls and even more opportunities for screwage. Sort of hard to come by the 2001 Ravensburger edition with the five region board. And the shark tank.

JTKW- if you have an iPhone, a lot of these games are available on IOS...Tikal, Ra, Samurai, Through the Desert...cheap way to check them out.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds