October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Feudality - Tom Wham

More
09 May 2012 17:05 #124966 by VonTush
Feudality - Tom Wham was created by VonTush
I saw this at the game store last night and it caught my eye. Has anyone played this yet or heard anything about it?
Feudality
It has Tom Wham art so that is a plus. The rules make it sound like a light Euro game with a bunch of randomness mixed in which for me is a plus. And as an action you can have a "Secret Amorous Liaison with the King or Queen" - So it brings a new twist on pleasing the nobles if you will.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2012 03:12 #125415 by Mr. Bistro
Replied by Mr. Bistro on topic Re: Feudality - Tom Wham
I've been eyeing this one too. I generally love Tom Wham, and the idea of a Euro with lots of randomness and fuckwadery sounds great. I wish his work got more press.

More
14 May 2012 17:52 #125551 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re: Feudality - Tom Wham
I'm interested in this one as well, but have been holding off for the moment. Would be great to get a Fattie opinion, since TOS screaming about randomness/luck/dice etc. is just noise.

More
29 Jan 2013 19:35 #142740 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re: Feudality - Tom Wham
A quick note that there is a limited run expansion tile sheet (Dark Clouds, Pretty Flowers) for this game with 70 new tiles that you can still pick up either direct from the publisher or from Funagain for 5 bucks. Haven't received it yet, but it does look like it will help players to screw their neighbours (with tiles you can place on an opponent's sheet) and adds an Awful Green Thing.

More
29 Jan 2013 20:11 #142744 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Re: Feudality - Tom Wham
I own it and I've played it roughly 4 times (all two player). I think it's a blast. The game is VERY light. There isn't much in the way of strategy, you basically have to react to what tiles get drawn from the bag. For example, if you're trying to build up your military, but only draw resource tokens, you're shit outta luck. That's fine for me, but it might annoy more fickle gamers. The same type of gamers that bitch about having to roll two D8s for resources and VPs.

I like the game for it's simple ruleset and quick play time. Plus there is almost zero downtime, because you collect resources during each players turn. The event deck helps spice things up and at the end of the main players turn you can try to sleep with the king/queen, sabotage another player or go to war. You can only go to war with a person if they have more Victory Points than you...and whoever starts the war is subject to losing some of their troops. After a couple turns everyone will be up to speed with how to play.

The game is light and breezy and Wham's artwork is a hoot. It feels like Kingsburg, if Kingsburg didn't suck ass. You get to build your fiefdom to your little hearts content and see if it works out. It's not deep or long enough to get bent out of shape about, which is a plus for me. You can just play a quick game and laugh about it afterwards.

I will recommend picking up the $5 tile only expansion if you're looking for more direct confrontation. I like the variety they add for the small price. Overall, Feudality was one my favorite games that I picked up in 2012.

More
29 Jan 2013 20:47 #142748 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Re: Feudality - Tom Wham
Also it's worth noting that the first quarter of the game feels slow. Your fiefdom is pretty empty and the chances of hitting a resource tile are lower. However, after about 15-20 mins you've got lots of stuff that can get activated and the game's pace seems to quicken. It sort of feels like a deckbuilder where it's slow going in the beginning...you feel like you can't really do much. Almost every time we played it, the pacing went like that.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.666 seconds