October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Philippe Keyaert's Twin Tin Bots - updated

More
05 Nov 2012 15:46 #137255 by ehanuise
Hi.

Our campaign to fun Philippe Keyaert's Twin Tin Bots will end in about 10 days, on Nov. 15.
It has started slow and we have only reached 32% of our $40.000 so far, so I have sought feedback from various groups, starting with the project supporters. I received a lot of constructive criticism, and it led to a complete revamp of the project page.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flatlined/twin-tin-bots
This revamp appears to bear fruit, as new pledges are coming to support the project.

Today, we have released a print and play version of the game for 2 players. The best way to evaluate a board game and to know whether it's a game for you is indeed to play it : 'The proof is in the pudding' as they say in the U.K.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flatlined/twin-tin-bots/posts

We believe the project can still succeed, given the right exposure. It is a solid game by an all star designer, and we are actively monitoring community feedback.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2012 20:36 #137270 by SuperflyPete
Let's examine what you've said above...

First, the video is horrible. You have a guy with a hard-to-understand accent trying to tell me how to play. Let's not even mention the fact that the acoustics in the room are horrible.

Second, this guy made Smallworld and it's predecessors. Fortress: Ameritrash isn't exactly the place for this kind of game.

Third, this sounds like a simpler version of Robo Rally. I'm not sure the world needs another Robo Rally, but simpler.

More
05 Nov 2012 23:57 #137278 by ehanuise
Thanks for the video feedback, Ill add captions and use a tie microphone when I do vidéo again. (thé accent is harder to improve, unless I can afford to hire à voice actor :) I wasn't told yet that what I say is hard to understand, and it's quite important feedback.

I know this is F:at, but this is the eurogames section, right?

Most important, this is not a simpler roborally. Actually, the rules are simpler but the in game situations are far more complex than what you get in roborally, and it plays quite differently. Less chaotic (which some will hate) and way more mean (when you steal a crystal or push an opponent it is never a perchance move or an honest mistake.)

Give the print n play sampler a try and you'll quickly realise that this is in no way 'roborally simpler'. It's an easy misconception to have, however. This is precisely why we made the pnp sampler.

More
06 Nov 2012 14:42 - 06 Nov 2012 14:47 #137308 by SuperflyPete
See, there's another problem. I found the link to the art for the PNP, but the rules weren't so easy to find. I still didn't find them, in fact.

I like Smallworld fairly well, especially for iOS, and I liked Vinci fine, so I'm in the group that likes most games. But, notice that I'm the only one who made any commentary? That's why I thought F:AT wouldn't be the best place to put this post. But you're right, of course. There's more people like me than not.

As for the video, yes, it's not the accent that's bad, it's the acoustics. I used my audio mixer to try to kill the echo and hiss, it's better. Just get a microphone, bro, or you're not going to have many people understand you. That audio is TERRIBLE.

Good luck!
Last edit: 06 Nov 2012 14:47 by SuperflyPete.

More
06 Nov 2012 15:44 #137317 by ehanuise
Thanks.
The rules are on the main page (and the update can't be edited - KS interface is sometimes ... not helpful.)
http://www.flatlinedgames.com/files/games/twin_tin_bots/rules/twintinbots_en_draft.pdf

More
06 Nov 2012 16:22 #137325 by moofrank

SuperflyTNT wrote: Let's examine what you've said above...

Second, this guy made Smallworld and it's predecessors. Fortress: Ameritrash isn't exactly the place for this kind of game.

While he's known for Vinci/Small World, he also did Evo and a game called Space Blast. Evo is kind of a hybrid as it has dice combat and a weird mechanical auction thing.

Space Blast is kind of a Wings of War Robo-Rally mix. Totally AT, and looks like a few similarities to this game.

And of course, Flatlined games published a REALLY nice reissue of Dragon Rage. That's a game that is so AT, it pretty much curb stomps anything FFG has done in the past year.

The video doth suck of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ehanuise

More
06 Nov 2012 16:56 #137329 by SuperflyPete
Dragon Rage...I almost want to make a large board and populate it with the Reaper Minis bones deal. That's a game that deserves the treatment.

And Evo is actually pretty fun. I didn't think it would be, but I was surprised. I didn't know it was from the same dude.

More
06 Nov 2012 17:37 #137335 by StrayKnife

ehanuise wrote: Thanks for the video feedback, Ill add captions and use a tie microphone when I do vidéo again. (thé accent is harder to improve, unless I can afford to hire à voice actor :) I wasn't told yet that what I say is hard to understand, and it's quite important feedback.

I know this is F:at, but this is the eurogames section, right?

Most important, this is not a simpler roborally. Actually, the rules are simpler but the in game situations are far more complex than what you get in roborally, and it plays quite differently. Less chaotic (which some will hate) and way more mean (when you steal a crystal or push an opponent it is never a perchance move or an honest mistake.)

Give the print n play sampler a try and you'll quickly realise that this is in no way 'roborally simpler'. It's an easy misconception to have, however. This is precisely why we made the pnp sampler.

While I've exceeded my Kickstarter budget for this year, I was convinced to give this project a quick look due to your enthusiasm and acceptance of feedback. Wish I could push some funds your way, but I'm unfortunately tapped out (or, at least my wife says I am). Keep up the persistance!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ehanuise

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds