October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Days of Wonder Using Kickstarter for Small World 2

More
18 Jan 2013 18:50 - 18 Jan 2013 18:58 #141849 by Dogmatix
WTF. Triple-posted all with randomly different edits. My F:AT viewing experience has been a little weird of late with pages posting but not refreshing properly [as in, the activity wheel spins and then stops and nothing changing on the page at all] and posts taking far too long than expected. Wonder what I broke this time...
Last edit: 18 Jan 2013 18:58 by Dogmatix. Reason: Glitchity glitch glitches...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2013 18:51 - 18 Jan 2013 18:55 #141850 by Dogmatix
Thanks Jeb, that was worth a big laugh this afternoon. :)

TheDukester wrote: This place used to have better conversations; it's all just dogma now. But I suppose that's a discussion for a different day and a taller beer.

I don't see much increase in dogma. To me, it's far fewer dissenting voices [on any topic, not just this one, where the sides/arguments are fairly predictable anymore] who are willing to continue to engage after their first or second post and/or really think about and then write more than 3 or 4 sentences (kudos to Pete, who will continue to wade in on any subject damn near no matter what). As a result, the number of directions anything can go is pretty limited and the audience who appear to believe that any more than 30 words is automatically unreadable ("TL;DR! Oh noes!")and thus to be skipped seems much larger than it (probably) actually is.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2013 18:55 by Dogmatix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
18 Jan 2013 18:55 #141854 by SaMoKo

jeb wrote:

Dogmatix wrote:
It's my 53rd. Does that make my Internet penis larger than yours?

Yes, but just in girth--not length.

It's like a Pringles can now.

Does that mean you could catch your hand in it during a wank?

More
18 Jan 2013 21:10 #141885 by SuperflyPete
I have to admit, I'm even finding these little dustups less interesting or fun to poke with sharp sticks anymore.

Fuck you guys, you're sucking what little joy I had left in my life away. Now all I get to do is watch Voyager reruns hoping 7 of 9 is actually named such because she has fucked 7 of every 9 crewmembers on Voyager.

More
18 Jan 2013 21:13 #141886 by Shellhead

SuperflyTNT wrote: Fuck you guys, you're sucking what little joy I had left in my life away. Now all I get to do is watch Voyager reruns hoping 7 of 9 is actually named such because she has fucked 7 of every 9 crewmembers on Voyager.

I always assumed that the other borg rated her looks as a 7 on a 9-point scale.

More
20 Jan 2013 21:50 #141988 by MattFantastic

Almalik wrote: Is it a double standard to give Reaper a pass since 1) they were up front that they needed the money to invest in molds for the new line to ramp up production and roll out new models faster (anyone have any idea how big an outfit reaper is - they've always seemed small despite their range of models)? 2) they were asking for 30K for new molds and things just got crazy?

Reaper is pretty small for being such a big brand/line, just visited the factory last week (maybe gonna do a post about it) and had a great time.

They are a great example of a bigger brand/company using KS right; doing all those models in the Bones version (almost all of them are already done in metal, excepting some of the new bonus ones) was going to happen eventually. But it's capital intensive as the up front cost on doing plastic is crazy high (especially when compared to metal) so they would only be able to do it at a relatively slow pace. People were asking for more so they said, ok, we'll do a KS and if people really want us to do these faster, we need the capital to do it. Win/win I think. Seems like people really did want those models quick! They also made the "deal" aspect totally fucking nuts, since again, the production is hugely weighted towards up front fixed costs and once they knew they could pay for it, the per model profit could be a whole lot less.

They are also a super cool company as a business and legit poured all that money they made right back into making more models faster. I was woefully disappointed by all the dumpy cars in the parking lot there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, wadenels

More
20 Jan 2013 23:02 #141989 by stormseeker75
Damn, Loter.... I miss you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattFantastic

More
24 Jan 2013 18:35 #142301 by TheDukester
DoW cancelled it.

goo.gl/6Lc2x

I'm not sure I totally agree with the decision, but I respect it. They finally recognized that they were running TWO Kickstarter campaigns (one centered on digital rewards; the other on physical rewards) to the benefit of neither.

Interestingly, the re-launch will apparently be much smaller: one campaign, to make the digital version available for Android and Steam. The unspoken implication being that they will just release the iOS version through the App Store, since they've said it's basically done.

I'm not sure what this does to our world view of hating Kickstarter and loathing DoW. I'll let you guys hash that out.

More
24 Jan 2013 19:33 #142317 by Sagrilarus
Can't read your link without registering.

I think it shows what I've been saying all along -- Kickstarter is a medium, not a product. Presumably it was Days of Wonder that made the decision to restructure the offerings?

S.

More
24 Jan 2013 19:41 #142320 by Ancient_of_MuMu
"The last 10 days have been interesting. We passed the midway point toward our initial goal; and if we didn’t change anything, we believe we’d successfully fund this campaign. Whether we’d hit our $300,000 Android stretch goal is more in question...

BUT, it’s clear that our campaign was messy and confusing, leaving many people out and disappointing others.

Making the goal of the campaign the funding of a new ipad version we had already decided to do was wrong.
Having Android as a stretch goal was a mistake. We underestimated people’s reluctance to fund a platform that might not happen.
Making the designer edition the centerpiece of the campaign’s rewards left people wondering “whether we were trying to fund the software or the Designer Edition?”

So we’ve come to the conclusion... It’s time for a re-boot.

What does that mean?

Tonight (Thursday January 24) at midnight EST, we will cancel this campaign.
We will immediately go back to the drawing board to create a new campaign, that will launch in mid-March.
This new campaign will focus on a single goal: funding an Android tablets and Steam PC version of Small World 2.

In the meantime, we will continue to read comments and post updates on this page after the campaign is cancelled. We want to hear what you - backers and critics alike - have to say.

With your input, we’re confident our next campaign can be a success for all!

Signed,

The Humbled Trolls of Small World

P.S. Don’t worry, the Designer Edition won’t disappear. We are thinking of a new way to offer it to people more simply."

More
24 Jan 2013 19:48 - 24 Jan 2013 19:49 #142323 by TheDukester

Sagrilarus wrote: Can't read your link without registering.

So ironic, considering you started this thread.

But, hey, you're the expert. No need to actually try something before passing judgment ...
Last edit: 24 Jan 2013 19:49 by TheDukester.

More
24 Jan 2013 19:54 #142326 by Ancient_of_MuMu

TheDukester wrote:

But, hey, you're the expert. No need to actually try something before passing judgment ...

This snarky response is odd given you have linked to a forum which is not Days of Wonder or Kickstarter, so Sag is right not to want to register.

More
24 Jan 2013 20:08 #142333 by SuperflyPete

TheDukester wrote:

Why so angry lately, Duke? Everything OK with you brother? It's not usual for you to get your hackles raised.

More
25 Jan 2013 13:28 #142373 by Dair
I say kudos to DoW. I don't care about Small World in any form, but I think they did the right thing by discontinuing this. It would have been a bit underhanded to Kickstart an iOS version they were already doing. Hopefully, the people who want it on those other platforms will support a KS campaign and get what they want.

More
25 Jan 2013 13:51 #142380 by Sagrilarus

TheDukester wrote: But, hey, you're the expert. No need to actually try something before passing judgment ...

I just wanted to let you know that most of us weren't going to be able to read what you were linking to.

S.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds