October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Eurogames evangelism?

More
22 Feb 2013 18:42 #144935 by DukeofChutney
kotaku.com/5985644/forget-game-of-throne...mes-are-german+style

given our run of looking at other board game writings on the internet (OP gamers, Rab) i give you Quintin Smiths (Shutup and Sitdown) latest column on Kotaku, which appears to have gone down like a lead balloon in the comments section.

What he seems to be saying is that after you've played some FFG games you should really get into Stephen Feld, either that or hes saying you and your AT sucks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2013 18:48 #144936 by bioball
Replied by bioball on topic Re: Eurogames evangelism?
In my experience, it goes the other way. I think more people start playing Eurogames (Catan, Power Grid, or Dominion), then they are convinced or find their way into Ameritrash games, unless they grew up in the 80's and happens across Cosmic or Talisman.

At any rate I think more people need convincing to play Ameritrash more than Euros.

More
22 Feb 2013 18:53 - 22 Feb 2013 18:54 #144937 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Eurogames evangelism?
I declare Friday Freakout right here and right now.

Quintin Smith is a pretentious asshole who has made a ridiculous claim that all other genres of boardgames are superior to AmeriTrash. Fuck that and fuck him. Eurogames are ideal for the same kind of insecure pseudo-intellectuals who freak out when they lose at Scrabble. A game should be fun, not cube-pushing tedium that simulates work. I'm calling him out, for being a hipster dumbshit.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 18:54 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
22 Feb 2013 18:57 #144938 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Eurogames evangelism?
I'm all for it. Honestly, eurogames need a stalwart champion. Someone that totally gets them, likes them, and evangelizes them to others. More people playing games as a hobby is a Good Thing™, generically. Some will head down the rabbit hole (like me!) and recover (again, like me!) and end up here, full of piss and vinegar (mostly piss) complaining about whatever ducal regent they spent the last year sucking off for his precious precious victory cubes.

If anything, his article reads like an advertisement for AT games. The most upsetting things about this article for me was finding out that 1) the Fort is third on Google for "ameritrash" and 2) the named link to it is "Fortress: Front Page." I know we're not exactly obsessed with SEO here, but this could be tuned a little.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
22 Feb 2013 19:04 #144940 by SuperflyPete
He's an imbecile.

The idea that one genre of games is superior to another on anything other than a subjective level is moronic, at best, and disingenuous at worst. People like what they like. I like Fords over Chevys because I don't like the half-second lag between pressing the pedal and accelerating that Chevrolet cars I've driven seem to exhibit. Does that make one inherently better? Of course it does, but only for ME.

I like both Euro and Ameritrash. I like that Euros are generally rules-light, but I don't like that they're also game-light. But in the end, I'll always own both, I'll always play both, and to think that I should cull all Ameritrash because it's inherently inferior is a douchebag thing to say.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb, benny lava, Sagrilarus

More
22 Feb 2013 19:21 #144942 by san il defanso
Boy, this pisses me off. It's not so much that he's a Euro guy. Whatever, different strokes, etc. It's that it dredges up a discussion that ran its course in 2007, and expects to be patted on the back for it. All this crap does is start arguments for no reason at all.

I have no use for articles that draw a line in the sand over stupid games when the great power of board games is to actually bring people together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
22 Feb 2013 19:24 #144943 by san il defanso

jeb wrote: I'm all for it. Honestly, eurogames need a stalwart champion. Someone that totally gets them, likes them, and evangelizes them to others. More people playing games as a hobby is a Good Thing™, generically. Some will head down the rabbit hole (like me!) and recover (again, like me!) and end up here, full of piss and vinegar (mostly piss) complaining about whatever ducal regent they spent the last year sucking off for his precious precious victory cubes.

If anything, his article reads like an advertisement for AT games. The most upsetting things about this article for me was finding out that 1) the Fort is third on Google for "ameritrash" and 2) the named link to it is "Fortress: Front Page." I know we're not exactly obsessed with SEO here, but this could be tuned a little.

Jeb, I mostly agree. There absolutely needs to be more champions of Euro games, especially ones who can actually write. But it's still a pointlessly confrontational and condescending article, especially when you consider that most gamers like a healthy mix of AT and Euros. Why on earth do people need to even make a choice? Surely our lives can accommodate two schools of thought on game design.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
22 Feb 2013 19:38 #144948 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Re: Eurogames evangelism?

bioball wrote: In my experience, it goes the other way. I think more people start playing Eurogames (Catan, Power Grid, or Dominion), then they are convinced or find their way into Ameritrash games, unless they grew up in the 80's and happens across Cosmic or Talisman.

At any rate I think more people need convincing to play Ameritrash more than Euros.

That sums up my experience. We've sold most of our Euros at this point, only to keep a select few. The main problem with straight-up trading-in-the-mediterranean Eurogames is that I can't remember what happened in any particular game I played. They don't develop a narrative and they don't often create memorable moments. Sure there have been times when I've been pretty proud of what I managed to assemble during the course of a good Eurogame, but two weeks later I can't remember a damn thing about it other than my basic strategy outline.

Quentin, from the article:

You'll still remember your Ameritrash days fondly. Maybe one day you'll be vacuuming behind the sofa and you'll find a loose portal token from Arkham Horror. You'll thumb it in your hand, like a totem from Inception, and you'll smile.

Then you'll remember the exact evening you must have lost it. Five hours at the table, battling the unthinkable horrors with your friends, before the wrong card from the Mythos deck ended the game at the wrong time, just as you were getting into it.

And aloud, head of the vaccuum still in hand, you'll speak the same words you did all those months ago: "That was bullshit."

... because it was memorable

For all of Ameritrash's bravado, here are the games that'll f**k you if you don't pay attention, and the games where the smartest player is free to wield their grasp of the game like a knife.

The smartest player is, in my experience, the least interesting to play with if they're the type who intend to "wield their grasp of the game like a knife". They've read all the strategy articles, they've developed an optimum play progression, and either they just can't wait to tell me about all that crap or they go the other way and carry a bit of smug.

Give me a player that calls out boredom when he sees it and does something different. Give me a game that allows for it. Give me a game where a good strategy can come apart because of factors beyond the players' control. I want a game, not a simulation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb

More
22 Feb 2013 19:40 #144949 by TheDukester
But there's Gawker Media in a nutshell: pointlessly incendiary headlines, followed by a few paragraphs of fanboy-baiting, followed by counting the clicks and billing the advertisers.

You guys are wasting your time getting worked up about this. Your time is more valuable than this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juniper, Rliyen, jeb, dragonstout, Msample, san il defanso

More
22 Feb 2013 19:48 #144952 by wice
Replied by wice on topic Re: Eurogames evangelism?
Anyone who thinks that Quinns is a "Euro-guy" obviously didn't see a single episode of SU&SD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
22 Feb 2013 19:51 #144956 by SuperflyPete

TheDukester wrote: You guys are wasting your time getting worked up about this. Your time is more valuable than this.

I don't think anyone is worked up. Certainly not as worked up as a certain someone who took gentle ribbing to be lecture on "something he's spend a quarter century doing". :)

(NOTE EMOTICON THIS TIME, DUKE.)

More
22 Feb 2013 19:53 #144957 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Eurogames evangelism?
Guys, it's the Internet. Everyone's an expert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron

More
22 Feb 2013 20:01 #144959 by DukeofChutney

wice wrote: Anyone who thinks that Quinns is a "Euro-guy" obviously didn't see a single episode of SU&SD.

This is why i was surprised when i read it, because i've heard him bash multiplayer solitare before and hes promoted many AT games.

IMO either he on a come down after too much FFG (all the games he sidelines are FFG i think), or hes recently become a Feld fan and has decided that all his old ways were a waste of time, or its Kotaku and so he has to up the ante.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
22 Feb 2013 20:02 #144960 by TheDukester

SuperflyTNT wrote: I don't think anyone is worked up.

You're reading different posts than I am, then.

Not that I'm above such emotions myself. One reason I'm avoiding the article altogether is that it would probably make my blood pressure rise at least a little. I loathe Gawker and it's lowest-common-denominator formula.

More
22 Feb 2013 20:03 #144961 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Re: Eurogames evangelism?

Anyone who thinks that Quinns is a "Euro-guy" obviously didn't see a single episode of SU&SD.

I'd second that. It looks like his tastes are pretty much all over the map. I'd chalk the whole article up to a failed humor attempt, as opposed to Eurosnobbery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.712 seconds