October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

suggest a 5 player eurogame

More
07 Jan 2014 19:40 #169373 by Hatchling
Silly question I know.

What do you recommend for my eurogame group. I call them my eurogame group because they don't like it when a game requires too much messing with other players' plans. I want another game to pick from when I meet up with these folks.

Games that work with this group: Modern Art, Acquire, Power Grid, Settlers (but people don't put the robber on others), Pandemic, Steam.

Games that didn't work: Cutthroat Caverns (too backstabby), I'm the boss (too backstabby), Cosmic Encounter (I forget why).

Imperial was a hit but one player didn't like it so she vetoes it. Agricola I'm not sure about (I think it's a bit too long).

Nate's review of El Grande is making me wonder if that would work. I'm just looking for some variety.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2014 20:05 - 07 Jan 2014 20:09 #169379 by san il defanso
I clicked on this thread thinking "Surely he's got El Grande!" Turns out you don't, so that'd be a big recommendation. But if they don't like it when people mess with other players' plans, then it might be out.

If you can find a copy of Hoity Toity/Adel Verpfichtet, that's a really good one for 4-6 people. Lords of Waterdeep might work well too, especially with the expansion. Manila is good, but out of print.

Do you guys have Ra? That's one of the best Euros ever.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2014 20:09 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
07 Jan 2014 20:11 - 07 Jan 2014 20:12 #169381 by SuperflyPete
IF you don't play El Grande 10/10 times with this prerequisite, you're fucking high.

Seriously, it may be the best Euro ever made.

(Edit)
As an aside, the fact that people don't put the robber on other players makes me question why the fuck you're even playing with these people. I'm guessing that they're your only gamer buddies. Time to trade them in on some bloodthirsty F:ATties, man.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2014 20:12 by SuperflyPete.

More
07 Jan 2014 20:21 #169383 by repoman
Blargle Von bliggityblat aka Castles of Burgundy sounds like the soul destroying time waster that you are looking for.

Seriously, non confrontational Euro? Railways of the World is pretty good.

More
07 Jan 2014 20:32 - 07 Jan 2014 20:33 #169386 by RobertB
I'd pick these, assuming El Grande is too hateful. :)

Union Pacific / Airlines Europe - kind of an Acquire-ish game, plays quick.

I'd second Lords of Waterdeep.

Ticket to Ride, assuming that you're not up for thinking too much.

King of Tokyo goes fast, but death's a given.

Battlestar Galactica, maybe?

repoman: Bargle Von bliggityblat is 4-players max. :)
Last edit: 07 Jan 2014 20:33 by RobertB. Reason: typo

More
07 Jan 2014 21:07 #169390 by DukeofChutney
Manhattan Project, Planet Steam, ermmmm Coops?

More
07 Jan 2014 21:21 #169395 by Hatchling

SuperflyTNT wrote: IF you don't play El Grande 10/10 times with this prerequisite, you're fucking high.

Seriously, it may be the best Euro ever made.

(Edit)
As an aside, the fact that people don't put the robber on other players makes me question why the fuck you're even playing with these people. I'm guessing that they're your only gamer buddies. Time to trade them in on some bloodthirsty F:ATties, man.

They are awesome friends who love games and I love them to bits. A couple of them just take screwage a bit personally rather finding it funny . They (except one) do really like Imperial, so interaction is fine. I think i'll get El Grande and hope for the best. I'll dip into the other suggestions (thanks BTW) for a plan B, if I need to.

I have a different circle of friends who have very AT game style and tastes, so my AT games work with them.

More
07 Jan 2014 21:36 #169399 by Bull Nakano
Ticket to Ride for sure, probably Chinatown too. Race for the Galaxy + The Gathering Storm exp. play 5 and RftG plays 5 awesome!

More
07 Jan 2014 22:19 #169400 by iguanaDitty
All the talk about Knizia has made me long to play Taj Mahal again, which is my favorite of his. It's got hand management, bluffing, and connection game aspects and plays really well with 5 (some say 4 is best, but I think both are good).

I wouldn't blind buy it unless you do your research first, but it is really great and really unique.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling

More
08 Jan 2014 09:49 #169427 by Egg Shen
Last Will - I've been playing this quite a bit recently and it has been highly enjoyable. Very simple mechanics, funny theme and palatable playtime make this a winner for me.

Mission: Red Planet - It's such a good game if you enjoy area control. There might be a bit too much screwage for your friends...not sure. Might be worth looking into though.

Tokaido - This game plays out almost in a zen like experience. Yea people can land on the space that you want, but you simply have to adjust your plan. It's on the super light spectrum of Euros...not sure if you want/need something with a bit more meat to it.

Vegas Showdown - If the theme works for your friends then this is a pretty good Euro. Thankfully it was reprinted and is no longer crazy expensive to find.

More
08 Jan 2014 10:05 - 08 Jan 2014 10:09 #169429 by SuperflyPete
Mission Red Planet...man do I love that game. I'd argue that it is a little "dirty" for people that don't like screwage.

One thing I wanted to mention: If you get El Grande, get the Dicentennial or whatever it's called. It has The Colonies expansion, which adds more spaces, which in a 5 player game would mitigate the screwage quite a bit by adding more good spaces for people to fight over.

I'd also mention that Lords of Waterdeep is a REALLY GREAT GAME. It doesn't have nearly the screwage that El G has, or at least it doesn't feel like it. It feels more like Puerto Rico in the sense that most of the screwery is derived from an opponent taking a space that you wanted. In El G, you can fuck someone silly and really show them the fork while you do it, whereas with LoW it's a little less visceral. It just feels passive aggressive where El G feels confrontational.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2014 10:09 by SuperflyPete.

More
08 Jan 2014 10:28 #169431 by Erik Twice
I can't imagine how they can enjoy Steam, that game is evil incarnate.

Signed.
Resident Steam fanboy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

More
08 Jan 2014 12:24 - 08 Jan 2014 17:23 #169454 by wkover
Certain Euros can be insanely interactive and in-your-face. Ticket to Ride, for instance. If you play to block other players' routes, everyone will hate you in 10 minutes. If no one does that, it's fine for friction-free players. (Another example: Power Grid.)

Random light/medium Euro suggestions:

Alhambra
Zooloretto (can also be mean...)
Lots of coop games (including Hanabi, LOTR board game)
Carcassonne (again, can be extremely mean)
Cartagena 2 (much better than 1st)
Expedition (possibility of meanness)
Medici
Ra
Snow Tails
Taj Mahal (lots of card battles, though - can get people angry)
TransAmerica (super light)
Tutankhamen
Power Grid: First Sparks (a bit friendlier?)

Heavier suggestions: (not sure what I mean by "heavier", honestly)

Age of Industry
Amun Re
Friedrich (Ok, now I'm just messing with you)
Last edit: 08 Jan 2014 17:23 by wkover.

More
08 Jan 2014 12:54 #169458 by bomber
no one mentioned

Imperial
Puerto Rico
Santiago
Princes of Florence
Power Struggle
all well suited to 5

Lords of Vegas is getting a 5P expansion but its not out yet. Agricola is good but at 5P it takes up a shit load of room and takes a long while to play.

More
08 Jan 2014 13:05 #169463 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: suggest a 5 player eurogame

Egg Shen wrote: Vegas Showdown - If the theme works for your friends then this is a pretty good Euro. Thankfully it was reprinted and is no longer crazy expensive to find.

Yeah, this one. Great with 5p. Everyone has their own "stuff" and it can't be messed with, but there's still a little jockeying for auction bids.

WIN PLACE & SHOW is awesome with lots of folks, and people can bail and join as they like over the course of the evening. You really only need one person to run the race if you have to, everyone else just bets. You can ignore half the rules assuming no one cheats.

ACQUIRE is also great with 5. DO NOT GET CASH POOR IN ACQUIRE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds