October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Shall we discuss? JAMAICA

More
08 Jun 2014 22:55 #179992 by Michael Barnes
Kind of liking the look of Jamaica, seems to be in the classic German games mode...anyone played it and have comments?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2014 00:11 #179993 by Not Sure
"No, she said she wanted to play!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
09 Jun 2014 00:50 #179994 by VonTush
It's one I've been interested in, but never had the chance to play. Almost bought a few times.

More
09 Jun 2014 06:08 #179996 by Stonecutter
I played with the Fiance on Friday night. We were supposed to have a 3rd player but she canceled so it was the two of us and a proxy. My fiance is NOT a gamer and she picked it up in about 3 turns, the entire game taking up less than 45 minutes for our first game out. I think the game really needs 4 or 5 players to be great, but as it is it TOTALLY hits that old German game sweet spot. The rules come on this stupid fold out map that makes referencing a pain, but the only thing I had to check was the dummy player.

With just the two of us it turned into more of a straight up race, with me slowing down a few times to load up on doubloons which ended up winning the game. With more players and more chance for combat the game would be more chaotic and the choices would open up a bit, I think.

This one is hanging around for awhile, for sure.

More
09 Jun 2014 08:53 #180000 by hotseatgames
I played it once a couple of years ago. I remember not hating it, and that it was gorgeous.

More
09 Jun 2014 10:37 #180008 by Bull Nakano
I don't know anything about it, but what's attracting you to it (because this is the important part of a racing game).

As for German-style racing games I'd recommend Top Gear (the Abacus edition), Ausgebremst (an evolution of Ave Caesar), or Um Reifenbreite (classic SdJ winner, hitch rides, dope up, and win the race).

More
09 Jun 2014 15:16 #180043 by Dogmatix
I really dig Um Reifenbreite. Good fun...

More
09 Jun 2014 15:24 #180045 by mutagen
I generally don't care much for racing games, but this one is pretty, light-weight, and done in less than an hour. Probably why I don't mind it. My ten year old was jumping up and down when she crossed the finish line first, so it's the sort of game a child can win even when the adults are all in. That doesn't strike me as particularly German, but I could have the wrong end of the stick.

I can't imagine playing with a table of adults, unless they were all hammered.

Played with three, almost certainly better with more.

The rules are in a funky format, but you probably won't have to refer to them much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
09 Jun 2014 16:02 - 09 Jun 2014 16:02 #180052 by scissors
This game is gorgeous to look at and was extremely disappointing to play. For eight year olds as mutagen says but then my boy is six and he enjoys Yomi.

Snap out of your German rediscovery already (there is nothing old school German about this game) and some of these games are as dreary as they ever were. i get that you don't want to play overinflated stuff like Runewars anymore (i don't either, I also have a wife and two small kids) but, snap out of it already and save your money. there are better games to play. somebody's gotta say it!
Last edit: 09 Jun 2014 16:02 by scissors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Jun 2014 16:29 #180055 by ubarose
It's inoffensive and not particularly memorable. I'd give it a 6. That's coming from someone who has a soft spot for any games with boats, and who likes German Family games. For playing with kids, Captain Clueless, Cap'n Clever, Up the River, and Kaptain Wacklepudding are all much better games.

More
09 Jun 2014 16:49 #180056 by Michael Barnes
There are "better games to play"? Huh? Classic German games/Euro family games are just as good and sometimes better than anything else. I like them as much as Cosmic Encounter, Dune and Wiz-War. They're a different kind of game. And they're also a different kind of game than the Princes of Florence-descended BGG-style "scowling nobility" game. There's a world of difference between Mittersnacht Party or even Zooloretto and the recent Uwe Rosenberg games, all the Stefan Feld stuff and so on. You're right, those games are as dreary as they ever were.

I'm waning on it already, mainly because I've already got two classic race games (Mississppi Queen and Ave Casear) and I was thinking about getting one of the Kramer ones. But it does look like something my kids would like, which is why I was thinking about it in the first place. They can manage pretty advanced stuff for their age with help and some rules butchery. They like races, they like pirates, and it's such a good looking game. I'll hold off for a trade sometime.

Um Reifenbreite is a little ahead of them though, I think.

More
09 Jun 2014 16:52 #180057 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: They like races, they like pirates, and it's such a good looking game.

Never played Pirate's Cove, but is it good for kids/families? Hey, we like Ticket to Ride and Zooloretto.

More
09 Jun 2014 16:58 #180058 by Michael Barnes
I haven't played it in a long time (jesus, I had the Piratenbucht version) but if I recall it may be a little advanced for the very young. There's simulataneous action selection and fussing around with ship/crew ratings and whatnot. Maybe for 7-8 year olds? Or, it may be something you can jimmy up for the littler ones.

More
09 Jun 2014 18:30 #180069 by scissors
if you were the eye of sauron looking fora great old school german family game, your eye would take no notice of jamaica ;) but go ahead and buy it. i am sure it is fantastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax

More
09 Jun 2014 18:35 #180070 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha, I see what you're saying now.:-)

I am interested in games in that style, including the newer ones (like Origin, Lords of Vegas and Splendor), I thought this might be one.

But all told, I would rather go back to the real deal. Mid-1990s. So you are kind of right. Kind of.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds