October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Shall we discuss? JAMAICA

More
09 Jun 2014 16:49 #180056 by Michael Barnes
There are "better games to play"? Huh? Classic German games/Euro family games are just as good and sometimes better than anything else. I like them as much as Cosmic Encounter, Dune and Wiz-War. They're a different kind of game. And they're also a different kind of game than the Princes of Florence-descended BGG-style "scowling nobility" game. There's a world of difference between Mittersnacht Party or even Zooloretto and the recent Uwe Rosenberg games, all the Stefan Feld stuff and so on. You're right, those games are as dreary as they ever were.

I'm waning on it already, mainly because I've already got two classic race games (Mississppi Queen and Ave Casear) and I was thinking about getting one of the Kramer ones. But it does look like something my kids would like, which is why I was thinking about it in the first place. They can manage pretty advanced stuff for their age with help and some rules butchery. They like races, they like pirates, and it's such a good looking game. I'll hold off for a trade sometime.

Um Reifenbreite is a little ahead of them though, I think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2014 16:52 #180057 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: They like races, they like pirates, and it's such a good looking game.

Never played Pirate's Cove, but is it good for kids/families? Hey, we like Ticket to Ride and Zooloretto.

More
09 Jun 2014 16:58 #180058 by Michael Barnes
I haven't played it in a long time (jesus, I had the Piratenbucht version) but if I recall it may be a little advanced for the very young. There's simulataneous action selection and fussing around with ship/crew ratings and whatnot. Maybe for 7-8 year olds? Or, it may be something you can jimmy up for the littler ones.

More
09 Jun 2014 18:30 #180069 by scissors
if you were the eye of sauron looking fora great old school german family game, your eye would take no notice of jamaica ;) but go ahead and buy it. i am sure it is fantastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax

More
09 Jun 2014 18:35 #180070 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha, I see what you're saying now.:-)

I am interested in games in that style, including the newer ones (like Origin, Lords of Vegas and Splendor), I thought this might be one.

But all told, I would rather go back to the real deal. Mid-1990s. So you are kind of right. Kind of.

More
09 Jun 2014 18:50 #180071 by Bull Nakano
What about Formula Dè?

More
09 Jun 2014 19:04 #180073 by Michael Barnes
Hmm...yeah, that's one I haven't thought about in a while...the last time I had it was the Mini version, any thoughts on the Formula D re-release? I liked Mini, I thought it did some nice streamlining.

There's always good old Speed Circuit too, always a classic.

More
09 Jun 2014 19:07 #180074 by Grudunza
I still have it after several years, and my girls and I played it several times. It's fun, but pretty random. There's sort of the illusion that you have tactical choices, but it's pretty arbitrary, especially with the chaos of more players. The 2 player version (which includes a dummy ship) is actually the most strategic, where your choices are a little more meaningful. But it's a fun light game, regardless.

More
09 Jun 2014 19:14 - 09 Jun 2014 19:16 #180076 by Dogmatix

Michael Barnes wrote: Hmm...yeah, that's one I haven't thought about in a while...the last time I had it was the Mini version, any thoughts on the Formula D re-release? I liked Mini, I thought it did some nice streamlining.

Not sure if you're looking at this for potential "all-family play" or not, but I'm assuming you are...

Stick with Mini. New version is nice, and the plastic dashboards are handy--particularly if you have a group that has some sort of aversion to pencil and paper book-keeping, but it's basically a case of "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." In a box 3x the size it would have needed to be without the damned things.

The simple fact that Mini's footprint is 1/8th that of either the original or the remaster is more than enough to recommend it. What I recall of the rules streamlining was better for anyone to pick up and play.

If you go Kramer, Daytona 500 is still a very good answer IMO. Milton Bradley does know how to make a game work for all ages.

[Once your kids are a little older, Circus Imperium [FASA] or the classic Circus Maximus [TAHGC] might be worth a look. But both are definitely truly old school from a graphics perspective. But still present one of the best gaming experience you can have IMO. Age range is probably 8 or 9+, though, for age--particularly the FASA title as it can get bloody in a hurry. And, of course, there's the Really Nasty Horse Racing Game...]
Last edit: 09 Jun 2014 19:16 by Dogmatix.

More
09 Jun 2014 19:16 - 09 Jun 2014 19:19 #180077 by Bull Nakano

Michael Barnes wrote: Hmm...yeah, that's one I haven't thought about in a while...the last time I had it was the Mini version, any thoughts on the Formula D re-release? I liked Mini, I thought it did some nice streamlining.

The new edition is the one I have, it's cool, it's got 3d gear boxes (think Claustrophobia)I don't think they changed much from the older edition other than the art and the tracks in the box. There are several modes you can play which offer different levels of complexity, and of course, this game supports league play if you buy a couple expansion boards.

Edit: yeah, the box is about the size of Descent 2nd ed.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2014 19:19 by Bull Nakano.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds