October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Shall we discuss? JAMAICA

More
09 Jun 2014 18:50 #180071 by Bull Nakano
What about Formula Dè?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2014 19:04 #180073 by Michael Barnes
Hmm...yeah, that's one I haven't thought about in a while...the last time I had it was the Mini version, any thoughts on the Formula D re-release? I liked Mini, I thought it did some nice streamlining.

There's always good old Speed Circuit too, always a classic.

More
09 Jun 2014 19:07 #180074 by Grudunza
I still have it after several years, and my girls and I played it several times. It's fun, but pretty random. There's sort of the illusion that you have tactical choices, but it's pretty arbitrary, especially with the chaos of more players. The 2 player version (which includes a dummy ship) is actually the most strategic, where your choices are a little more meaningful. But it's a fun light game, regardless.

More
09 Jun 2014 19:14 - 09 Jun 2014 19:16 #180076 by Dogmatix

Michael Barnes wrote: Hmm...yeah, that's one I haven't thought about in a while...the last time I had it was the Mini version, any thoughts on the Formula D re-release? I liked Mini, I thought it did some nice streamlining.

Not sure if you're looking at this for potential "all-family play" or not, but I'm assuming you are...

Stick with Mini. New version is nice, and the plastic dashboards are handy--particularly if you have a group that has some sort of aversion to pencil and paper book-keeping, but it's basically a case of "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." In a box 3x the size it would have needed to be without the damned things.

The simple fact that Mini's footprint is 1/8th that of either the original or the remaster is more than enough to recommend it. What I recall of the rules streamlining was better for anyone to pick up and play.

If you go Kramer, Daytona 500 is still a very good answer IMO. Milton Bradley does know how to make a game work for all ages.

[Once your kids are a little older, Circus Imperium [FASA] or the classic Circus Maximus [TAHGC] might be worth a look. But both are definitely truly old school from a graphics perspective. But still present one of the best gaming experience you can have IMO. Age range is probably 8 or 9+, though, for age--particularly the FASA title as it can get bloody in a hurry. And, of course, there's the Really Nasty Horse Racing Game...]
Last edit: 09 Jun 2014 19:16 by Dogmatix.

More
09 Jun 2014 19:16 - 09 Jun 2014 19:19 #180077 by Bull Nakano

Michael Barnes wrote: Hmm...yeah, that's one I haven't thought about in a while...the last time I had it was the Mini version, any thoughts on the Formula D re-release? I liked Mini, I thought it did some nice streamlining.

The new edition is the one I have, it's cool, it's got 3d gear boxes (think Claustrophobia)I don't think they changed much from the older edition other than the art and the tracks in the box. There are several modes you can play which offer different levels of complexity, and of course, this game supports league play if you buy a couple expansion boards.

Edit: yeah, the box is about the size of Descent 2nd ed.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2014 19:19 by Bull Nakano.

More
09 Jun 2014 19:32 #180078 by ubarose

Michael Barnes wrote: There are "better games to play"? Huh? Classic German games/Euro family games are just as good and sometimes better than anything else.

Up the River is about as classic as they come. Capt'n Clever is definitely a German Family game.

Jamaica does the euro version of that Fantasy Flight thing that you hate. It's from that same period in game design where designers added another layer of crap or another mechanic to games to make the randomness more opaque, and make the players feel as if they have "meaningful choices." Jamaica has the ever popular "replace the dice with a hand of cards" thing. It's not horrible, it just feels like what might have originally been a lively family game got weighted down during development to have the appropriate dignitas and gravitas of eurogames of that period.

Seriously, take a look at Capt'n Clever to play with the kids. One of the great things about it is it is easy to control the length of the game and to handicap it by changing the number of treasures each player needs to collect to win. Plus, like TransAmerica and Cartagena, it pushes the planning and prediction envelope for 6-8 year olds and therefore allows cognitive modeling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
09 Jun 2014 20:14 #180081 by Michael Barnes
Eek, that comment just put me off it. Definitely not what I am after.

I see that Up the River has a new space theme...and is $14. Probably getting that.

Capt'n Clever for $5 on BGG marketplace - sold!

More
09 Jun 2014 23:06 #180090 by ubarose
Read the rules to Up the River before you buy it. It is actually kind of like Thunderroad but without PVP. There is screwage and dumping boats off the last tile. This makes some kids cry.

More
09 Jun 2014 23:17 #180093 by Michael Barnes
Oh no...we kind of have the "but I wanted to win" thing going on right now...

It does seem like Thunder Road.

More
10 Jun 2014 07:13 #180111 by wadenels
Formula De Mini is the D basic rules with a couple extra things. You can easily leave stuff out of the rules to accommodate younger kids. You can also play any ruleset with it if you don't mind printing some dashboards and stuff. It has big plastic coins instead of a gearbox, which may be easier to handle.

More
10 Jun 2014 15:14 #180172 by Joebot

Jeff White wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: They like races, they like pirates, and it's such a good looking game.

Never played Pirate's Cove, but is it good for kids/families? Hey, we like Ticket to Ride and Zooloretto.

Pirate's Cove is probably a little more complex than either Ticket to Ride or Zooloretto. Combat can get somewhat involved once you get into the cards and modifiers and special powers.

It's an okay game, but I got frustrated with it after a couple of plays. You eventually discover that the winner is inevitably the guy who avoids combat. You can spend turns pimping your ship out, then get into a fight, lose, and then you're totally boned. The game is only 12 turns long, so you never get a chance to recover. You're better of avoiding combat altogether. What the fuck kind of pirate game rewards NOT fighting?!?

More
10 Jun 2014 16:48 #180191 by wadenels
We enjoyed Pirate's Cove a lot more with this negotiation variant , but we ultimately sold/traded it anyway. For a negotiation/trading/competitive family game I'd rather play Settlers, and for a pirate game I'll take Merchants and Marauders.

More
10 Jun 2014 20:00 #180211 by ubarose
If you are just looking for a great game to play with the kids, and aren't specifically looking for a pirate game or a race game, get A La Carte. Brilliant fun game. Great high quality, absolutely adorable production. Easy enough for a 4 year old to play with a few rules tweaks. Cool enough that The Spawn plays it with her high school friends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
10 Jun 2014 21:27 #180218 by Michael Barnes
I totally forgot about A La Carte...hopefully it's not another OOP, Amazon seller listing at $199 things...

How did this thread turn into me spending a bunch of money?

THANKS OBAMA

More
11 Jun 2014 09:04 #180232 by ubarose
A La Carte was re-released by FFG just a couple of years ago, but seems like it may be close to going out of stock (I was hunting for the expansion which I lost in the fire and noticed that neither the game or expansion is in-stock at most of the usual places). So I'd jump on it now. You can get it for about $35 new. Don't know what the used or trade market is like.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds