October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

The Eurogames Reclamation Project hits home.

More
12 Jun 2014 13:23 #180368 by phandec

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Legomancer wrote: It's criminal that some derivative boring junk gets praised and vaulted into the BGG top 100 but you can't buy El Grande at all.

The trick is to buy it ASAP and never, ever sell it.

Or buy a copy of Terra Mystica to trade for it. At least, that's how I got my El Grande DE a couple weeks ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2014 13:24 #180369 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I mean, look at what you can't buy right now...El fucking Grande. Modern Art. TONS of really great mid-tier games from the 1990s. Quite a few SDJ-winning titles that are quite literally vanishing into obscurity.

But you have a WIDE range of choices if you are in the market for a pirate zombie Cthulhu steampunk dungeon crawler. Or a bloated, overly complicated BGG-style Eurogame where you get to make cubes of one color turn into another color by a ten step process.

The whole AT thing has wound up in EXACTLY the same situation that Eurogames were in 2004. An alarming number of "AT" games (which aren't really AT at all, they're overwrought hybrids) of the past two years have been just as soulless as Goa and Australia were. I won't name the game, but there is one current game that I asked for a review copy of and thankfully haven't gotten yet. Because I thought it looked cool at first, but then I realized how much I absolutely DID NOT want to play it because it is just as derivative as any number of "scowling European guy" games.

Back in 2004, it was all of these classic GW games, the Gamemaster stuff, Cosmic and so forth that were out of print and unavailable. Ten years later, it's all the European stuff from the 1990s-2005 or so that is just GONE. And a lot of good stuff that was worth keeping around has been stampeded over by the latest Kickstarter trash and the endless variations of Uwe Rosenberg's overly complicated resource management system.

The HIG/RGG split was actually pretty devastating, I wouldn't have predicted that a couple of years ago. As has RGG really kind of consolidating down to Dominion and a small handful of titles. I would have thought that the shakedown would have been that some of the lesser RGG imports (Crocodile Pool Party, Mall World, Message to the Czar, etc. would go away. But we lost Attika, Manila, Gulo Gulo, Java, and other games that were worth keeping around.

More
12 Jun 2014 15:58 #180379 by Black Barney
you guys are making me feel really guilty about trading away from El Grande DE a while ago for some game I never play now

More
12 Jun 2014 16:31 #180382 by ubarose

Michael Barnes wrote: And there's Shellie, who has taken on an elder stateswoman role in what may very well become an ERP Advisory Panel.

HA! I only own the games you have been re-buying these past few weeks because F:ATies (or future F:ATies from the before times) recommended them to me. Are these games leaving the conversation? Have they fallen out of favor in the "board game community"? What are we now? Fortress: Ameritrash - the board game site that champions the games that others trash.

More
12 Jun 2014 17:20 #180385 by Michael Barnes
"The Before Times"...you are like that girl tellin' stories and such at the end of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
13 Jun 2014 21:35 #180484 by Stonecutter
I have to wonder if Tom Vassel reviewing El Grande this week wasn't his way of trying to goose along a reprint. It seems like one is coming if the Zman people on the BGG forums are to be believed, and next year would be the 20th anniversary. I sure hope so. It's one of those "I'll get around to buying it eventually" games for me and... eventually never came. Now I'm spending money like an idiot trying to do my own "buy shit before it's gone forever" project. I've bought more games the last two weeks than I have the last year and a half and I'm not done yet.

In:
Taj Mahal
China
Hansa
Attika
Struggle of Empires
La Citta
Walnut Grove
Jamaica

Still working on:
Samurai (ouch)
Glen More
Ora Et Labora ($100? You've got to be kidding me)
Shipyard
Thurn and Taxis + Expansions
Age of Industry or Brass (Have to decide which one I want, any thoughts? Leaning towards AoI)
Tikal
Hoity Toity

More
13 Jun 2014 22:02 #180486 by Michael Barnes
Stonecutter is feeling the vibe. It's infectious!

Samurai is tough, man...it's been gone for a while and it's high desirable due to the quality of the game and the components. I may break down and do $75-$80 for it some time. Would rather shake a trade loose.

Manhattan is the one that's bugging me...used to be all over the place. Can't find one under $100 anywhere.

Tikal is pretty common- $25-ish

Hoity Toity is odd...there were a bunch of editions of it, but that Uberplay one is the one most people want because it goes to six players. I've got the AH one, which at least has a better title.

More
13 Jun 2014 22:04 #180487 by Michael Barnes
Age of Industry over Brass, definitely.

More
14 Jun 2014 00:52 - 14 Jun 2014 00:53 #180498 by ThirstyMan
You're all talking utter bollocks.

I have Tikal and I fucking hate it. There's no shooting, the only 'fucking peoples shit up' is in placing your guys, its boring as shit and my second wife liked it. For all those reasons, I would happily burn it (as my second wife missed that one when she was burning my games, bitch). I have Carcassonne and it also bores me to tears. Jesus, I even bought that Ubungo game, Christ what a pile of crap. The last two were recommended to me by someone who shall remain nameless, at WBC, as good starter games for the wife (OK then Andy Joi, you are now on my hitlist).

If you can't shoot it, eviscerate it or cause a table tipping crisis it means nothing to me. I flirted once with 18XX games, never again. I'm selling them at WBC this year (18EU I'm looking at you). WTF was I thinking? Someone should have slapped me.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2014 00:53 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
14 Jun 2014 01:12 #180501 by VonTush
So are you saying I should buy the $40 copy of Manhattan that I was holding in my hands today at my game shop?

More
14 Jun 2014 11:30 - 14 Jun 2014 11:32 #180515 by ubarose

ThirstyMan wrote: You're all talking utter bollocks.

I have Tikal and I fucking hate it. There's no shooting, the only 'fucking peoples shit up' is in placing your guys, its boring as shit and my second wife liked it. For all those reasons, I would happily burn it (as my second wife missed that one when she was burning my games, bitch). I have Carcassonne and it also bores me to tears. Jesus, I even bought that Ubungo game, Christ what a pile of crap. The last two were recommended to me by someone who shall remain nameless, at WBC, as good starter games for the wife (OK then Andy Joi, you are now on my hitlist).

If you can't shoot it, eviscerate it or cause a table tipping crisis it means nothing to me. I flirted once with 18XX games, never again. I'm selling them at WBC this year (18EU I'm looking at you). WTF was I thinking? Someone should have slapped me.

I'll add Thurn & Taxis to Andy's list of boredom in a box. Shit man, next thing we know, people are going to be hunting down Fucking Reef Encounter.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2014 11:32 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
14 Jun 2014 11:52 #180518 by ChristopherMD
Fucking Reef Encounter is on my forever shelf!

I don't know why everyone is so worried. All of these games will be available in Barnes' sales three months from now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, scissors, Gary Sax, Gregarius

More
14 Jun 2014 15:10 #180528 by Michael Barnes
Thing is, I've already sold most of these once. If I buy something twice it tends to stay.

More
14 Jun 2014 23:37 #180535 by ChristopherMD

Michael Barnes wrote: Thing is, I've already sold most of these once. If I buy something twice it tends to stay.

I've rebought a few games in the past. I end up reluctant to get rid of them a second time even though I should because they're all shelf toads.

More
16 Jun 2014 09:05 #180570 by san il defanso
In this year:

Tigris & Euphrates
Taj Mahal
Medici
Beowulf: The Legend

Already had (never sold):
Tobago
Manila
El Grande
Mississippi Queen
Hoity Toity
Lost Cities
Lord of the Rings
Battle Line

Still want:
Amun-Re

Is it possible to actually make the Black Rose expansion to Mississippi Queen?

Also Space Ghost was my Secret Satan and gave me Mississippi Queen too. I'm assuming he's actually the designer.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds