October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

The Eurogames Reclamation Project hits home.

More
16 Jun 2014 10:57 #180578 by Michael Barnes
Either that or he was doomsday prepping for when it went out of print.

I've seen some Amun-Re copies for under $40, I think that's reasonable. That was retail.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2014 11:02 #180580 by san il defanso
Yeah, it hasn't skyrocketed yet. It's more that I'm prepping for a cross-country move and I've spent a lot on other stuff lately anyway. No doubt when I am finally ready some chowderhead on Amazon will want $150 for it.

More
16 Jun 2014 11:24 #180587 by Michael Barnes
I'm not really sure why it hasn't skyrocketed though...it has a 7+ BGG rating, it's well regarded in general, and it's considered Knizia's last "gamer's game" so there is a cachet there. And it's been out of print for almost ten years. It also has specialty components that aren't duplicatable. I guess there's just more of them around than some of the others.

More
16 Jun 2014 11:49 #180595 by RobertB
When Amun-Re came out, the folks at the game club loved it, but it died out fast. I haven't seen it on a table since. I'm not sure why - probably killed by something cooler.

More
16 Jun 2014 12:29 #180599 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I remember there being a flurry of excitement, some mild disappointment, and then it settled into this kind of mid-tier status...even though it's a really good game and one of Knizia's more intricate designs.

I think it might have been Louis XIV that killed it. Remember that one? Anyone? Hello?

Anyway, THAT is a good example of a bad Eurogame.

More
17 Jun 2014 10:41 #180644 by Juniper
I really miss Mississippi Queen. Nice little game. It won SdJ, too. Somebody inadvertently threw my copy in the trash (long, weird, fucked up story). I assume the low BGG ranking and the need to use plastic injection moulds to make the boats ensures this will never be released in a new version. It would have been an ideal choice for the Days of Wonder line, but instead we got stuff like Cleopatra and the Society of Architects.

Early on, the received opinion in the English-speaking gamer world was that Mississippi Queen needs the Black Rose expansion to be interesting. And since The Black Rose was nearly as expensive as the base set, you'd have to spend a lot of money to get a relatively simple family game. I've always suspected that claims about the necessity of the Black Rose have been exaggerated. The game works fine without it.

There's something wrong with a world in which Modern Art is out of print.

Adel Verpflichtet/Hoity Toity/By Hook or Crook is a fantastic game, but I'm not confident that anyone needs a six-player version of it. It's been a long time, but I vaguely recall that the game doesn't really work the same with six (I have the Alea version, but we tried it with some home-made check cards).

More
17 Jun 2014 10:52 #180646 by Michael Barnes
And another example of the ERP's far-ranging influence. It was able to bring Juniper out of seclusion.

I just got Black Rose today...hang really looked at it, doesn't seem there's a whole lot but it does have new boards and some new boats.

More
17 Jun 2014 11:05 #180649 by VonTush
It doesn't add much, but what it adds takes the game from good to great IMO.
The sandbanks and floating logs...The coal refueling stations. Yes, the base game is good, but this is one of those expansions where after you add it in the game feels complete.

More
17 Jun 2014 11:05 #180650 by ubarose
Never really liked Mississippi Queen. It starts out well, but then went on too long with at least one or two players so far behind that they were simply going through the motions until the game was over. Maybe the Black Rose fixes that?

More
17 Jun 2014 11:34 #180656 by Juniper
If I'm remembering correctly, the player that's farthest back gets to move the Black Rose. That means front-runners can get bashed into sandbars. I think the base game already has a catch-up mechanism, though. If you hold back and let the river extend out in front of you a bit longer, you can run at a high speed without risking a crash as you enter unknown waters, and you can generally plot a more efficient path around islands and such.

I think the rules suggest leaving some river tiles in the box for a shorter game.

It has to be said: there's a huge amount of luck in the game, between the river tile draw and the die roll that determines where the tile is placed.

More
17 Jun 2014 11:46 #180660 by VonTush
Yeah, it is a game where being in the lead isn't necessary a good thing depending on how the river breaks.

More
20 Jun 2014 20:31 #180938 by Michael Barnes
Looks like the ERP is making a stop in Pennsylvania...AT badge holder Jim Brooks has accepted a trade offer- Relic and Pocket Battles for Wildlife Adventure- one of my top wants.

The list is getting smaller...kind of...adding Heimlich and Co. and both the other Kramer racing games...loved Detroit-Cleveland.

More
21 Jun 2014 02:20 #180941 by Dr. Mabuse
My ERP list is small. Condottiere by Eurogames (with the taror sized cards) El Grande and Babel which was just re-released.

More
21 Jun 2014 10:03 #180948 by wadenels

Michael Barnes wrote: Looks like the ERP is making a stop in Pennsylvania...AT badge holder Jim Brooks has accepted a trade offer- Relic and Pocket Battles for Wildlife Adventure- one of my top wants.

The list is getting smaller...kind of...adding Heimlich and Co. and both the other Kramer racing games...loved Detroit-Cleveland.

Heimlich & Co is probably skippable. It's sort of cute, and works with younger kids, but it's not particularly interesting beyond that. I picked up a couple copies at Goodwill and after a few plays dropped them back off. I'd rather play Clue or Scotland Yard or something like that over H&Co.

More
21 Jun 2014 10:36 #180950 by Michael Barnes
Ah, but see, "works with younger kids" is a selling point for me.

I've played it, it's simple but pretty fun. Also the first game with a VP track!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds