October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Lost Treasures of the Eurogames Reclamation Project

More
30 Jul 2014 20:54 #183550 by Michael Barnes
Robert loved it. He made me play it several times.

Miss that guy...he could be really moody and completely not interested in playing what everyone else wanted to play, but I loved gaming with him. Great taste, apart from Andromeda. And When Darkness Comes. I think he really sort of lost interest in games altogether.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2014 15:03 #183581 by Michael Barnes
What are opinions on the Adventurers games? European designs, big deal when they came out, FFG published and now kind of forgotten...I never played either of them. Worthwhile? Family style or cluttered hybrid junk?
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
31 Jul 2014 15:18 #183582 by VonTush
I've played the Temple of Choc a few times.
Overall I liked it, and I've heard the Pyramid is better.

You have a character that becomes burdened the more stuff s/he carries. At the beginning of a turn you adjust this little chart behind your character card depending on how much loot you have, it then gives you a range. The start player tosses and amount of dice and the number of dice that fall into that range tells you how many actions you get on a turn.

It's been a while so I can't remember what the actions are, but basically moving or claiming treasure.

With Choc you start off in the corridor where the walls are closing in, you can spend time studying glyphs that will help in the next room which is a lava floor, some spots of the floor collapse others are safe.

You then move into this area where you have three paths you can take to get to the exit...The first is a long way about but you can stop and try to get a high point treasure, there's a short cut where you can cross a rickety bridge potentially dropping treasure or falling into the pit, or you can jump in the water blow and swim towards the exit and find treasure in the river as well, but I think if you're carrying too much treasure you can't pull yourself out, or it is at least harder.

The game "timer" is a boulder a la Indiana Jones that is cruising down the hallway and once it reaches the end of the path it traps you inside and you die.

It's been years since I've played and within the past two weeks or so I had every intention of pulling it out to re-read the rules.

Pyramid doesn't have as many moving parts so to speak, but you have this open area where you can get stung by scorpions, once you get through there's some wondering supernatural guards guarding the tombs you're looking to raid. This game's timer is the ceiling is caving in potentially blocking your escape route. I've heard that this one is better overall, but I haven't played yet and it didn't seem to have the character of the first.

I remember the first one being fun and exiting. At the right price I think it is worth it.

More
31 Jul 2014 15:18 #183583 by Bull Nakano

Michael Barnes wrote: What are opinions on the Adventurers games? European designs, big deal when they came out, FFG published and now kind of forgotten...I never played either of them. Worthwhile? Family style or cluttered hybrid junk?

Second one is better, definitely family fare. It reminds me a little of Thebes the way you're digging through different card piles to find the good stuff. The second one is better because the first one has no tension and there's a lava bridge thing that's kind of confusing. The second game ends like Bomberman when you're taking too long, random pieces of the ceiling fall cutting off your planned exit route.

More
31 Jul 2014 15:25 #183584 by charlest
I like Temple of Chac a great deal. It's the only true Indiana Jones game.

Funny you guys both like the Pyramid of Horus, most people seem to dislike the completely random block falling mechanic that can seal off the entrance at an abritrary time.

More
31 Jul 2014 15:31 #183585 by VonTush
I've just heard that it is better...Haven't played (but something I should remedy).

What I think is that it is more straight forward. There's a lot of little rules in Choc like the bridge, reading the glyphs and how they tie into the next room.

Where Horus I think is just a smash and grab in essence before the random blocks fall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
31 Jul 2014 15:33 #183586 by dave
I consider Adventurers the perfect convention game. Dive right in, a blast to play... feel grateful afterwards that it's taking up space in someone else's closet.

At the local con this year, my 10yo daughter and I played the two Adventurers games and Rampage; all were a blast, but Rampage was the only one purchased (and that was a marginal call).

More
31 Jul 2014 16:29 #183588 by wadenels
I enjoyed both Adventurers games but have never felt like I needed to own them. I liked Chac a bit better because of the Temple of Doom feel. Pyramid was decent too, but had a considerably less Adventure-y feel to it. They're primarily push-your-luck games; calling them Incan Gold turned up to 11 might be oversimplifying them, but it wouldn't be inaccurate either.

More
31 Jul 2014 16:40 #183589 by Almalik
the Adventurer games would have been awesome if they were designed to somehow be more modular, allowing you to mix them up a bit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dogmatix, Dr. Mabuse, charlest

More
31 Jul 2014 16:48 #183590 by wadenels

charlest wrote: Funny you guys both like the Pyramid of Horus, most people seem to dislike the completely random block falling mechanic that can seal off the entrance at an abritrary time.

That's the best part. That's what makes Pyramid of Horus work. But then again I really dig DungeonQuest and feel that more non-cooperative games should have an "everybody dies" end game condition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bull Nakano, charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds