October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Lost Treasures of the Eurogames Reclamation Project

More
31 Jul 2014 16:56 #183591 by Joebot

Almalik wrote: the Adventurer games would have been awesome if they were designed to somehow be more modular, allowing you to mix them up a bit.

Agreed with that. I owned Chac, and we played it quite a bit in my family. It started to get very same-y after a few plays. You figure out what the best route through the temple is, and you just do the same thing next time. It looks great, and the boulder is a really fun timer. It just doesn't have much staying power. 5 or 6 plays, and then you kinda feel like you've seen everything there is to see.

Some expansions or something would have done wonders for it to keep it fresh. I don't know why that never happened??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2014 17:29 #183592 by scissors
The Adventurers... not euros. Don't feel like euros at all.The first one was fun, never tried the second. If it had been modular, with expansions, new puzzles and tricks, could have been a hit out of the park.

More
31 Jul 2014 17:31 #183593 by Michael Barnes
Seems like what you guys are saying is near-universal. "Great game...maybe don't play it more than three times." I have a super lowball "best offer" in on both games and the painted miniatures at ebay, almost certain it's a no but if the guy gets desperate it'll be a good deal (basically $50 for everything). But yeah, it doesn't sound like it's something I'd likely keep for long. And I think I'd actually rather do Incan Gold anyway.

It seems like it could have been a product line for FFG, a line of adventure-themed titles with that weirdly under-used Indiana Jones vibe. But it was also tied up in licensing with Dust Games, which seems like a mess.

More
31 Jul 2014 17:36 #183594 by Dr. Mabuse

Almalik wrote: the Adventurer games would have been awesome if they were designed to somehow be more modular, allowing you to mix them up a bit.

Card and tile expansions for Temple would have extended its life longer. After a few plays you could remember the tiles a lot easier thereby reducing the tension of the lava walk. More or varied treasure cards would have been great as well. I was disappointed this wasn't supported better so I traded it after a few plays.

More
31 Jul 2014 18:13 #183598 by dave

Michael Barnes wrote: It seems like it could have been a product line for FFG, a line of adventure-themed titles with that weirdly under-used Indiana Jones vibe.

Don't forget about their decent Silver Line game Quicksand!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
31 Jul 2014 18:52 #183600 by scissors
IIncan gold or diamant I really dislike. adventurers has charm in spades and I think kids should. love it... i probably should have kept ours.

More
01 Aug 2014 11:06 #183655 by Columbob

dave wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: It seems like it could have been a product line for FFG, a line of adventure-themed titles with that weirdly under-used Indiana Jones vibe.

Don't forget about their decent Silver Line game Quicksand!.

I fondly remember an evening spent with my brothers and father on this game (brother got it at a FFG $5 sale), we kept playing it again and again late into the evening as games don't last much more than 10 minutes, it was just dumb fun.

We broke it out at a later date, but somehow its charm and welcome had worn off, and I think we only played it once or twice, making room for more substantial fare. We still had our money's worth.

More
01 Aug 2014 15:34 #183692 by wkover
Quicksand is a solid kid/family game. I've never played an all-adult session of Quicksand.

More
01 Aug 2014 17:59 #183713 by black inferno
Many many years ago, there was a now-long-defunct Fireball Island tribute site on Geocities containing an exhaustive set of homebrewed rules, character sheets, items, NPCs and game cards that transformed a simple roll-and-move kids game into the pulp adventure version of Talisman you never knew you wanted. The greatest gaming experience of my life was playing this next-level version of F.I. by candlelight during a hurricane party in 1999. Played with that ruleset, it's the best Indiana Jones-vibe game never released.

More
01 Aug 2014 19:43 #183722 by wadenels

black inferno wrote: Many many years ago, there was a now-long-defunct Fireball Island tribute site on Geocities containing an exhaustive set of homebrewed rules, character sheets, items, NPCs and game cards that transformed a simple roll-and-move kids game into the pulp adventure version of Talisman you never knew you wanted. The greatest gaming experience of my life was playing this next-level version of F.I. by candlelight during a hurricane party in 1999. Played with that ruleset, it's the best Indiana Jones-vibe game never released.

Any chance you still have the URL (for the Wayback Machine) or a way to track that old stuff down?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds