October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

FFG Tigris?

More
07 Jan 2015 13:06 - 07 Jan 2015 13:09 #194410 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: FFG Tigris?
Flimsy shields are an essential part of the experience, and are actually REQUIRED per my house rules- if you knock over your shield at any point, you are no longer eligible to win the game. Nobody has actually won a game of T&E by my house rules since 1998.

Edit- OK, I just looked at it...pretty good! I actually really like the look of it, I like the use of Sumerian/Babylonian art references. It sounds like it's on the right track with the ORIGINAL game included with some OPTIONAL variations.

I think I might have to get this...I would hate to do away with my original HiG copy, but there does seem to be some meaningful upgrades here.

As for point-counting...dude, it's FFG. Dials.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2015 13:09 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eekamouse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2015 13:11 #194412 by bomber
Replied by bomber on topic Re: FFG Tigris?
I hate to be on board with the miserable fuckwits who dont play games unless they can be processed through a triple mainframe for several weeks beforehand to find the correct moves, but I think Tigris *is* a better game with open scoring. I've also enjoyed the halfway house where you have to openly push forward your sets (ie each full point) but still keep the extra cubes behind the screen.

More
07 Jan 2015 14:03 #194421 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Re: FFG Tigris?
I've only played the iOS version, and determining strength always seemed like it would be tedious to do in real time. But based on all the love for the physical version here, I'm guessing it's not an issue?

More
07 Jan 2015 14:33 #194423 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Re: FFG Tigris?
Looks pretty much the same minus that. The real good part of that article is this:

The Euro Classics Line

Our new Euro Classics line is dedicated to making select Euro-style games widely available and introducing new audiences to them.

Its immense popularity and elegant marriage of mechanics to theme make Tigris & Euphrates an excellent game to launch this line. Stay tuned for news about the games that will follow it.

More
07 Jan 2015 14:40 - 07 Jan 2015 14:42 #194429 by bomber

Disgustipater wrote: I've only played the iOS version, and determining strength always seemed like it would be tedious to do in real time. But based on all the love for the physical version here, I'm guessing it's not an issue?

No its very easy
internals only use the red tiles adjacent to the leaders in question so basically 0,1,2,3 or 4 plus red tiles in hand committed.

externals can be bigger, but the tile colours stand out (though I'm not colour blind), so when you clash 2 kingdoms its easy to tot up the number of the matching colours on both sides of the "join" and again then add in from your own rack. just a few seconds, and counting the totals is part of the buildup to the smackdown result

Nothing to worry about, this is not a game like Neuroshima Hex where the app makes a significant improvement in handling game rules and components and procedures
Last edit: 07 Jan 2015 14:42 by bomber.

More
07 Jan 2015 15:17 #194445 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Re: FFG Tigris?
I know I'm outvoted here but I think that plastic shit looks terrible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, Hatchling, Gregarius

More
07 Jan 2015 15:23 - 07 Jan 2015 15:23 #194448 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Re: FFG Tigris?

Legomancer wrote: I know I'm outvoted here but I think that plastic shit looks terrible.

I'm with you.

Edit: But I do really like the new tiles. Very sharp.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2015 15:23 by Gregarius. Reason: Extra comment

More
07 Jan 2015 16:17 #194466 by scissors
Replied by scissors on topic Re: FFG Tigris?
Wait, I have aRio Grande edition already, why do I need this? Glad it will be widely available but I am hanging on to a perfectly fine copy.

More
07 Jan 2015 18:57 #194488 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: FFG Tigris?
Can anyone here give me a primer on this? This game sort of come on go before I started playing board games, and no one here is interested in it.

More
08 Jan 2015 00:06 #194504 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Re: FFG Tigris?
If they screw this up the price of my "classic" edition will skyrocket.

More
08 Jan 2015 00:37 #194505 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re: FFG Tigris?

Legomancer wrote: I know I'm outvoted here but I think that plastic shit looks terrible.

I really dig the look of the temples but not crazy about the 3d leaders.

More
08 Jan 2015 00:50 #194506 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: FFG Tigris?
I pretty much love the look of the whole thing, but I really wish they did avoid plastic... it just doesn't feel good in my hand and there are... umm, problems with it. I'd have preferred something more solid and expensive...a proven game like this can afford to charge a little extra for some awesome bits.

Still, I do think it looks great and it's a pretty restrained bit of design for FFG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
08 Jan 2015 01:21 - 08 Jan 2015 01:24 #194507 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re: FFG Tigris?

Sevej wrote: Can anyone here give me a primer on this? This game sort of come on go before I started playing board games, and no one here is interested in it.

I started writing this post, got 5 minutes into it and thought FFG explains it better than I could ever do.

"At the beginning of the game, the only signs of human habitation in the fertile crescent are a few treasure-filled independent temples. You may create a kingdom by placing a leader token next to one of the red temple tiles already on the board, thus beginning your dynasty. A civilization may also begin with a farm, housing settlement or market, but only with a leader does it become a kingdom and earn you victory points. Each leader token matches a sphere of civilization: green leaders (traders) earn you victory points from market tiles, red leaders (priests) from temples, and blue leaders (farmers) from farms. Black leaders are kings, able to earn victory points of any kind."

Blah blah pseudo thematic explanation.."Therefore, the player with the most victory points in their weakest sphere wins."

"As the land between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers becomes increasingly crowded, the question is not whether there will be conflicts, but when and where.

Two types of conflicts can erupt in Tigris & Euphrates: revolts and wars
(I LOVE these terms better than "Internal and External Conflicts" from the older versions). Revolts occur when a leader is placed in a kingdom already containing a leader of the same color – no kingdom can contain competing leaders and remain at peace! The player who can back his leader’s authority with the most temples wins the revolt and a victory point.

War breaks out when a player annexes another’s territory, unifying two kingdoms with leaders of the same color. In a war the color of the warring leaders determines which aspect of civilization is in contention. For example, placing a market might unify two kingdoms and set two traders at odds. Whoever has more markets in the kingdom and his hand wins. The loser must withdraw his trader and all the markets in the kingdom, yielding up the contested territory to the conquering victor."

So in other words, it's a tile placement, lowest point is your score, blow other people's shit up, Euro.

I fucking love this game. The first time I played this was during my intro period into hobby games. I had no clue what was going on as it was unlike anything I had ever played. Years of Talisman and DungeonQuest never prepared me for a game like this. I bought a copy just to learn how to play it.

This one sits quite comfortably on my forever shelf.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2015 01:24 by Dr. Mabuse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, OldHippy, siberianhusky, Sevej, stoic, Gregarius, Pugnax555

More
08 Jan 2015 03:22 #194509 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Re: FFG Tigris?
Okay, how does this play with Two?

More
08 Jan 2015 05:11 #194516 by bomber

Hex Sinister wrote: Okay, how does this play with Two?

its no good with two. I play most of my gaming 2P, and Tigris is my favourite game so this sucks. Beware anyone who says otherwise. Not a 2P game, not in a million years. Even the Nile 2P map is not good. Its just too volatile and too often ends up with a one sided runaway leader, plus you lose out on all the interest of different leaders from different players in multiple kingdoms.

I know some people like it with 3 but I think Tigris is strictly a 4 player game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds