October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Let's Talk (Old) Cosmic Encounter

More
08 Jan 2015 11:05 #194540 by Erik Twice
Personally, I would be happy to own any version of Cosmic Encounter since I don't own any D:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2015 11:24 #194543 by Shellhead
Simply Cosmic appears to be designed to screw with people with red-green color blindness.

More
08 Jan 2015 12:19 #194553 by Bull Nakano

Shellhead wrote: Simply Cosmic appears to be designed to screw with people with red-green color blindness.

Simply Cosmic adds shapes to the player colours, so it's the most friendly, but it's not worth looking in to. There are only a few powers, ten I think? and it only plays up to 4 players.

The mayfair edition changed the flares to compensate for the fact that they were discarded. I feel like I prefer keeping someone elses flare but discarding your own. But I'll play whatever rules you've got, it's still Cosmic. The fun doesn't hinge on this.

More
08 Jan 2015 13:44 - 08 Jan 2015 23:58 #194565 by stoic
Hi Mr. White,

Check this site out regarding Cosmic Encounter versions:

daveola.com/CosmicEncounter/Versions/

All of Eon base sets have the same components. But, I believe that latter printings included updated rules discussing the expansions.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2015 23:58 by stoic.

More
08 Jan 2015 16:06 #194579 by stoic
I think that this is the coolest art for the Cosmic boxes:

Attachment 1978.Eon.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
09 Jan 2015 08:33 - 09 Jan 2015 08:35 #194610 by Mr. White
I've got a line on a pretty cheap copy of Mayfair's Cosmic + More Cosmic.

I'm just not feeling the aesthetics of it though. The aliens just seem so plain and the board so sparse. Almost minimalist...I suppose it does have it's own artistic flair.

The GW one just looks colorful and fun in a gaudy 80's way:

Here's a shot of all the aliens across the lines. GW is bottom second from left, Mayfair bottom second from right.

It looks like the aliens for Simply Cosmic (bottom left) are pretty good as well.

Ugh, that Mayfair set...I guess the upside is, that it's cheap enough to give away if need be.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2015 08:35 by Mr. White.

More
09 Jan 2015 08:43 #194612 by Bull Nakano
Gw and west end don't have flares. Flares were not standard until Mayfair. That said I will play without flares.

More
09 Jan 2015 08:56 #194615 by Mr. White
Flares.

That's the big knock and what would give me the most pause.

I don't have an opinion on them, having only played the FFG '08 version a handful of times about 6-7 years ago. It seems like most everyone favors them. However, if the game is still plenty fun without them perhaps I'll see what I can do about obtaining that GW edition.

More
09 Jan 2015 09:27 - 09 Jan 2015 09:28 #194617 by Bull Nakano
It's still cosmic, and if you don't play with old school players from the 80's I doubt anyone will care that much. Flares are fun, but in a way they do detract attention away from the alien's power (which is a reason I like Mayfairs one time flare).

But man, Cosmic+More Cosmic is SUCH a good set.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2015 09:28 by Bull Nakano.

More
09 Jan 2015 14:52 #194666 by bioball
Why no interest in the FFG edition? What are the exact reasons?

Its a great edition of the game. Given that all editions of Comic have problems, the FFG edition solves most of them and still give you 5 players, flares, and great expansions (First and Latest). If you want a 6th player in the FFG edition just treat the special destiny cards as that player's "color".

More
09 Jan 2015 15:15 - 09 Jan 2015 15:16 #194672 by Mr. White

bioball wrote: Why no interest in the FFG edition? What are the exact reasons?

Sure.

* I feel they purposely screwed fans with the base game. The box has too much empty space and cost too much to not have included a 6th player...at least. The game could have cost much less for what they offer, could almost be done as a silverline game. However, the market has proven that they can sell it at that point regardless of the contents. Good for them, but I'm not buying.
* My interest in the game isn't enough to where I want to buy in on expansions to get extra players/options.
* The components have the standard FFG 'too busy' look to me.
* I haven't bought a FFG title since x-wing as I feel they handled the creators of wings of glory very poorly.
* I try not to buy games made in China.

They're reasons that some may not agree with, but make sense to me, so it is what it is. I'm just not a big FFG fan. I've only got four FFG games left in my collection, all are silverline (three card games and Kingdoms) that I picked up long ago.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2015 15:16 by Mr. White.

More
09 Jan 2015 15:53 #194677 by san il defanso
Alright here would be my rundown...

- If FFG is out of the question, the Mayfair version is the most cost-effective and complete to track down. It has the most content out of the box than any other version of the game. I am of the opinion that flares are an essential part of the game, because a lot of the more advanced insanity in Cosmic Encounter comes more from the flares than from the powers themselves.

- If this is still between GW and WEG, go with GW because their version goes to six players. That's probably as much as a non-diehard like you would need.

More
09 Jan 2015 17:56 #194687 by Not Sure
San is completely correct. The disco lights are maybe not the ideal board look and the Mayfair aliens are ugly, but the game itself is all there. Skip MCE unless you find a bundle, but honestly just skip it until later anyway.

The Mayfair base set is all the Cosmic you'll probably ever need.

More
09 Jan 2015 23:49 #194696 by wadenels
More Cosmic does give you some card types that aren't in the base game that are worth playing with, particularly the Kickers, Reinforcements, and extra Flares. I like the game to be chaotic so I play with lots of Flares and all the Kickers and Reinforcements. Unless you want to ease into it I would mix the MCE cards in almost straight-away. You can always pull them back out if you're not feeling it.

The Mayfair version isn't the prettiest, but on the table it works great. The lack of clutter on the board is very undistracting, which I like. If you don't have a strong feeling about keep or discard Flares it's really hard to go wrong with the Mayfair set. If you get MCE with CE then you've really got more Cosmic then you'll ever need, and it all fits easily in the base game box.

Having a complete Mayfair Cosmic + MCE is one of the reasons I haven't bought into FFG's Cosmic. The other reason is the expansion chain, which is also the reason I never tracked down the Eon game.

More
10 Jan 2015 00:07 #194698 by wadenels
I should note, in case you go with the Mayfair set, to save you some rules frustration: There are a bunch of turn phases in Cosmic that in the Mayfar game each have a funny icon. Don't worry too much about that. Play it loose. Trying to get everyone to remember the phase icons and when precisely they are allowed to play a card is a great way to suck the fun out of the game, especially when people are learning.

FFG put the phases on the bottom of the cards and highlighted when a card can be played in which phase. This was a great idea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds